Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

Help Please! P0403 Error

25K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  PFC WODA 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

Popped this code recently,

P0403 - EGR Flow Circuit Malfunction

I did a search and came up with this thread, I realized this member fixed his problem by replacing an EGR Solenoid. Before I go to schedule an appointment with the dealership and spend 135+ I wanted to make sure if there was anything else I can do to fix this problem.

I've tried the following (Under JoesinBoston's Suggestions)

1) I've checked to make sure there were no crack/leaks in the Vacuum lines.
2) Checked to make sure the EGR was actually still there ( :nuts: )

I got the code while driving down to Connecticut I was driving back and forth between MA and CT in short intervals. I might have pushed the car too far with all that driving. The Autozone Tech/Service person suggested that my EGR Tube might be dirty or backed-up with Carbon. I'm not sure how to remove the EGR ATM to check, but i'll take a closer look tommorow. I currently only have 37,000 Miles on the Eclipse so I don't believe its the EGR Tube backed up.

Any Suggestions would be helpful. :twothumb:

-Roger

See less See more
#4 ·
Update --> Picked the car up at 5:00 p.m., with no code. Drove home, approximately 20 min away on an expressway --> Still no code. Let the car sit for a few minutes, went back out, started it up --> P0403 Again.

I'm not usually one to bash people, but it seems like they just cleared the code and parked it outside (oh and took my $80 to tell me something I already knew). I mean they didn't even drive it enough to reset the ECU. Perhaps if they did, they would have known they didn't fix the problem. Anyways, I will be returning the car to them in the morning and hopefully they will be able to get it straightened out RIGHT this time. By the way, have you guys noticed any driveability issues. I mean, it doesn't seem to effect anything, other than the fact that it is damn annoying.

#5 ·
I still have the code currently, either the EGR Pipe is blocked up with Carbon or the EGR Solenoid is not opening/closing correctly. Well thats what i've been hearing anyways. I've been looking online on sites like www.car-parts.com for the EGR Solenoid so far no luck. Maybe its not listed as an EGR Solenoid ? If you find out anything more please let me know.

#7 ·
Ok..The dealership replaced the EGR valve today. They took it out and drove it around and the light DID come back on. The service supervisor told me that it must be the ECU, so they ordered a new one and its supposed to be here on Friday. Best Part --> Everything is under warranty. The $80 I spent yesterday is all I am going to have out of pocket :fawk2: Seems like a lot to go through for a code like this, but at least its under warranty ('01 w/ 49,000 miles)

#9 ·
For what its worth, I didn't even buy my car at the dealership. I bought it from another individual and I don't believe that he bought it there either. I was under the impression that some parts were covered as part of the basic warranty, i.e. the drivetrain warranty, 7 yr corrosion warranty, etc.. in which case, the warranty info is tracked by the VIN, and it doesn't matter who brings the car in. Might be something to check into.

#11 ·
It is not a full warranty. Eventhough I knew what the code was, they still charged me the $80 diagnostic fee. Don't quote me on this, but I believe that all of our cars have a warranty over certain parts. Normally they would have charged me for replacing the EGR valve, but they ate the cost due to the fact that I had to bring the car back within 12 hrs of picking it up. If it wasn't for that fact, I believe I would have had to pay for the EGR valve and labor. However, I believe the ECU is covered by under some sort of limited warranty that comes with the car. First off, there is no way an ECU should be shot on a car with 50k miles. I'll talk with the guy at the dealership on Friday and try and get some more details.

#14 ·
I just picked my car back up this morning. I was in Chicago all of last week, so I let the guys at the garage keep it from Monday to Friday. I talked to the mechanic and he said the replacement EGR valve they put on two weeks ago was faulty, so they put on another one. As of late, no more code. Now I am wondering if they even needed to replace the ECU.

#18 ·
myrt said:
yes that is correct but if you look at the person that started this thread a long time ago you will see where i got my question from...
Your right. I didn't really look into that. I just took it for face value that this was a flow problem not a circuit problem. The P0403=Exhaust Gas Recirculation Circuit Malfunction.

#20 ·
Trombino said:
I just picked my car back up this morning. I was in Chicago all of last week, so I let the guys at the garage keep it from Monday to Friday. I talked to the mechanic and he said the replacement EGR valve they put on two weeks ago was faulty, so they put on another one. As of late, no more code. Now I am wondering if they even needed to replace the ECU.
SO looks like just getting a new egr valve is the fix for this code?

#23 ·
bump
i just threw the same code, took it to my guy and they tested the valve and that was fine then they started diagnosing the solenoid, he wasnt exactly sure bc he couldnt get any voltage from it but he says his diag. computer isnt comepletely up to date
any suggestios( i.e. just replace the solenoid or what too look for ) and why it might not be sending any voltage to his comp?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.