Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

Hairline crack in radiator

12K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  lionfire 
#1 ·
Right on the top of the radiator there is a hairline crack. I tried some "Radiator Stop Leak" suggested by a guy at autozone (I didn't really like him), it didn't work. In fact I think it made it worse by turning into globs. My question is, could I use a type of epoxy to just seal the crack? I don't want to spring for a new radiator and the radiator shop I called was more expensive than the dealer.

If a type of epoxy will work, do you have any suggestions?

#5 ·
Like he said... Nothing. Will. Fix. It. Don't be stubborn... Sell lemonade on the corner, become a pimp, call family, take out a loan, sell a vital organ, learn to play an instrument, play said instrument on street corner for money, the options are endless!! Wait... is the hairline fracture on the metal or the plastic part?

#6 · (Edited)
I was in the same boat as you. For a temporary fix, dry the area well ( maybe drain it just a little) , sand the crack and surrounding area with 80 grit sandpaper, then use J-B weld, and cover it well. It will not be a permanent solution, but will definitely get you by. I had mine patched for almost a month until I found a good enough deal. Keep in mind the V6 radiator will fit on your car no problem. Its just a little thicker.
My crack was at the top of the radiator, right under where the outlet is for the hose.
Good Luck.

#7 ·
JB weld will work like he said. I used it on my cousin's radiator. His was leaking right above the lower neck of the radiator. No problems so far.

#8 ·
I never recommend repairing a radiator. If it cracked once, it's bound to again. I would definitely just replace it. All you need is a little bit of JB weld to break loose and get sucked into your water pump and destroy it.

#10 ·
I did try a patch, and it helped. It did not fix the problem but helped it limp along until I was able to get the money and buy a new radiator. Changed it this morning and all is well. Just took it for a drive and never even thought about overheating. Thanks for everyone's help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.