Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

Crankshaft Position Sensor Location???

63K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  Knight86 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 Spyder GT, 5-Speed

i've narrowed the issues down to the CPS. Cranks, getting fuel, won't start. Behaved completely normal, then the next morning, would do nothing more than crank.

Sources have told me you must remove the timing belt to replace it on the 3.0 V6. The timing cover is already off, but i just had this thing timed a couple months ago, not wanting todo it again.

ANY HELP? :mecry2:

#5 ·
wtf are you talking about! there is no need to take off mount. and there is no oil pump belt.

1.) locate the cps sensor wiring. it runs on top by the timing cover. I believe its mounted on the intake manifold.

2.)take off wheel and all accessory belts.

3.)take off crank pulley

4.) take off lower timing cover

5) then you should see the cps sensor secured by two 10mm bolts

6.) the wiring is run through the lower timing cover, so its kinda tricky

7.) make sure you run the wire correctly because you run the risk of it rubbing on the timing belt thus exposing live wire and ultimately ruining the new cps

refer to http://www.club3g.com/forum/maintenance/118492-how-change-timing-belt-v6-pictures.html

#10 ·
well if your replacing the timing belt then removing the mount is essential.

the only belts on the gt are three. the timing belt is inside the timing cover so you dont see that. there are two that go around the crank pulley. one for the power steering and the other goes to a/c and alternator

taking off the drive belts does not involve taking off motor mount

#8 ·
now that i think about....while your down there you might as well do 60k service, if you haven't already....if you decide to do it.. i suggest.....new timing belt, new timing belt tensioners, water pump, cam and crank seals, heck while your at new drive belts. just a suggestion it will save a lot of trouble further down the road. i am speaking from experience. well good luck and keep us posted on how it goes

#15 ·
yea i cleared the codes out. umm after attempting to start it for about 5 mins, it came back. but... i think i found the issue.

so i discovered the spark plugs were wet from gasoline, so i decided to change them, figuring spark would suffer, so i took off the upper intake manifold to get to the rear plugs, and just out of curiosity looked down into the lower manifold, and... the intake valves were wide open. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM.

so i turned the crank a few times, all of the rocker arms, cams move, but seems the valves don't. the valves and pistons never made contact during this process, so idk what the hell is going on. even if the timing was off, which i don't believe it is, it still doesn't explain why ALL of the intake valves were open at the same time.

*cries* *wants to beat car with hammer*

#16 ·
EXACTLY ... CPS IS SO SIMPLE ...
wtf are you talking about! there is no need to take off mount. and there is no oil pump belt.

1.) locate the cps sensor wiring. it runs on top by the timing cover. I believe its mounted on the intake manifold.

2.)take off wheel and all accessory belts.

3.)take off crank pulley

4.) take off lower timing cover

5) then you should see the cps sensor secured by two 10mm bolts

6.) the wiring is run through the lower timing cover, so its kinda tricky

7.) make sure you run the wire correctly because you run the risk of it rubbing on the timing belt thus exposing live wire and ultimately ruining the new cps

refer to How To: Change the Timing Belt on the V6 *WITH PICTURES*

#19 ·
UPDATE: All of the intake valves are bent! Not really sure how, the timing belt didn't break, and from what i'm told, the car was running.

I played around with it, turning the crank, and at no point did all the timing marks line up, so i'm just going to assume its previous owner was a complete idiot. and a liar. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.