Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

2001 mitsubishi eclipse engine swap

33K views 53 replies 20 participants last post by  Chad 
#1 ·
Alright I accidentally crashed my 2001 Mitsubishi eclipse into a mountain. The engine doesn't run the same it has some grinding noise and a valve is popped. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a used motor for a reasonable price. I heard you can get one for like 400-500 bucks but no luck. Can someone tell me where to find one so it wont cost an arm and a leg. Also, What motor should I get I have a 4 cyl but its pretty banged up, would the 3000gt motor fit in the 3G eclipse?

#2 · (Edited)
First of all you could find motors on ebay, craigslist, all over the internet. You're probably going to have to pay more than $500. Second, since you have an I4 then you will put another I4 back in your car. From reading your post I don't think you really need to be concerned with doing anything else but the basics.

#3 ·
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:^^^^

i am feeling generous....just keep looking a deal is bound to show up...keep checking the forums and ebay. i bought a motor for my v6 on ebay for like 300 and i picked it up locally. good luck!

ps 3000gt motors will not fit! the only cars that i know that are interchangeable engines are the 01+ (??) stratus

#7 ·
He said he had an I4 in his first post so that is what he should put back in.

#12 ·
That's what I was wondering. How do you miss that? :lmfao:

#16 · (Edited)
Yeah... them moving mountains.

But this is what happened. The cars tires weren't that great and I hit the breaks a little too hard on a dirty road and the car spun out and hit the mountain at about 50 mph. The side of the hill acted as a jump and the car was air born spinning in the air then landed next to the road on all four tires. It was intense but lucky no one was hurt.

#18 ·
Better question is "Why do you want to swap to a V6 instead of just starting over and buy a GT/GTS?"

#25 ·
It was an accident besides the car is fine, and it was a dirty road the speed limit is like 60. It doesn't rain that much in the desert so the roads stay the same for a while. We are going to open it this weekend and take a look keep you guys posted. Well anyways since HIJACKER shows there are still douche bags who can't read in this world. If you want to go talk shit to someone go play some xbox 360 kid or better yet read a book to bring up your reading comprehension.

#26 ·
Well anyways since HIJACKER shows there are still douche bags who can't read in this world. If you want to go talk shit to someone go play some xbox 360 kid or better yet read a book to bring up your reading comprehension.
:nono: Hijacker is no kid he owns sc customs. he may act like a duche but he has done more with the 3g than you ever will.

#40 ·
:lol: You obviously have never bought anything from an engine. Way to bump a thread for no reason.

#43 ·
dohc for the 4g64 aren't too hard to find. just find a wrecked optima with the 4g64, hell it even increases your compression ratio so you can get gains. While you're at it take the pistons and i believe you are at 11:1 compression ratio. Use an evo head and i think you are close to 13 then.

#46 ·
well it is from a different block... so those a compression change might be something that could happen, but those numbers do seem kind of extreme. i would do some research to find out.

#47 ·
it is true. i researched it back when i was doing the n/a 4g64 build myself. i think flashbluers might know about this as well. kia optima pistons are higher compression in their version of the 4g64 but i think the bore is different (i can't remember exactly whats different) but the evo head is 8.8:1 on the 2.0 pistons. put it on the 4g64 and you have 11:1 on stock pistons, 13 ish to 1 on kia. I might be wrong on the numbers but not by much. basically you can use factory parts to build a decent motor. But i agree with others in saying it is not always a good idea to buy used pistons. I would suggest the evo dohc swap and the evo intake manifold and throttle body with custom pistons and rods and you could build a nice all motor build with 200 at crank and like 160 to 175 at wheels.

#48 ·
okay here is the deal the oem sohc 4g64 has 9.0:1 the evo has 8.8:1 and the sonata or optima has 10.5:1 the sohc has 46cc head the evo has roughly the same and the optima head has 56cc so it actually lowers the comp. by 1.0:1 bringing the 4g64 w/ stock pistons down around 8- 8.2:1 useing the optima pistons gives you optima stock comp ratios I have a fully built sonata head w/ 1mm oversized vales crower springs and a 4 angle valve job I got my head from a jy for 75 ordered new valve guides and lifters as a complete set 215 shipped and got springs for 185 shipped all head work cost 435 the surfaced ground all the valves to match bead blasted the head v/c and therm housing gave me back a brand new head well worth the money I have spent but thats up to you

#49 ·
okay here is the deal the oem sohc 4g64 has 9.0:1 the evo has 8.8:1 and the sonata or optima has 10.5:1 the sohc has 46cc head the evo has roughly the same and the optima head has 56cc so it actually lowers the comp. by 1.0:1 bringing the 4g64 w/ stock pistons down around 8- 8.2:1 useing the optima pistons gives you optima stock comp ratios I have a fully built sonata head w/ 1mm oversized vales crower springs and a 4 angle valve job I got my head from a jy for 75 ordered new valve guides and lifters as a complete set 215 shipped and got springs for 185 shipped all head work cost 435 the surfaced ground all the valves to match bead blasted the head v/c and therm housing gave me back a brand new head well worth the money I have spent but thats up to you
This is good info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.