How hard is it to bypass the heater core on a 2000 Eclipse GT - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Eclipse General Discussion > 3G Eclipse General Discussion
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03/19/2011, 10:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT
Daboa : who are you?
How hard is it to bypass the heater core on a 2000 Eclipse GT

My heater core is leaking. Pep Boys wants $1400 to replace it or $250 to bypass it. Bypassing seems the way to go because I live in Florida and don't use the heater anyway. But I'd like to try doing it myself to save even more money.

Here are my questions: how hard is this procedure and how long would it take? Where exactly is the heater core located? Do I need ramps to get under the care to access it? What extra tools/parts would I need (e.g. extra hosing components or the like)?

I haven't found enough details about the procedure yet to feel confident doing this, so any guidance from some people with experience would be great.
Daboa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03/19/2011, 10:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Swing the Hammer

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT-T
Silvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be new
The heater core itself is the biggest bitch of any part on this car to get at. Bypassing it isn't worth 250$ though. Look behind your engine, its the two 3/4 inch hoses going into the firewall. Pull em off the firewall, put a brass barbed fitting to connect them. Make sure you burp it then top off your coolant and you're set to go until it freezes. Much easier to get at the hoses if you pull out the battery, and putting an ice cream bucket or something beneath them is good to catch the gallon or so of coolant that will come out.
Silvertune is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/20/2011, 05:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

toypaj159 : who are you?
Edit: Missed GT
toypaj159 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/22/2011, 07:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT
Daboa : who are you?
I did it! Bypassed the heater core and it wasn't too much trouble. I only have one question now. The mechanic mentioned there being something gooey in the cooling circuit (I think he said it was in the heater core but I'm not sure). He recommended flushing the system. I'm wondering if this is really necessary. I replaced the radiator a few weeks ago and it therefore has new coolant. I've also had to put new coolant in because of the leak that I just fixed. So is there any good reason to flush the system at this point?

What could "gooey stuff" do anyway? Cause another leak?
Daboa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/22/2011, 08:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Swing the Hammer

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT-T
Silvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be new
He was probably giving it one last ditch effort to get some cash out of you. Unless you have symptoms that would lead to you flushing it I wouldn't bother. That is, as long as you put in the correct coolant and never added stop leak to it.
Silvertune is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Eclipse General Discussion > 3G Eclipse General Discussion

Tags
bypass, coolant, eclipse, heater core

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.