need help on buying a 2002 eclipse - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Eclipse General Discussion > 3G Eclipse General Discussion
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02/15/2013, 01:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

camargo2013 : who are you?
Red face need help on buying a 2002 eclipse

hi all, i hope you all are doing ok

i need some help,

my brother is looking into buying his first car, we found a really nice 2002 eclipse RS automatic( he is getting an automatic because it is his first time driving) it looks good but on one of the pictures at the dealership's website it shows a photo of the dashboard and there is this orange light on:

can somebody tell me what it means?

is it bad?

in case its not bad, are these cars reliable? from what i have seen this car doesnt look abused and it looks entirely stock, it has 75k miles

please dont worry about insurance at all.....

thanks!

Last edited by camargo2013; 02/15/2013 at 02:02 AM. Reason: details
camargo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02/15/2013, 02:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT
Mr6G72 : who are you?
Re: need help on buying a 2002 eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by camargo2013 View Post
hi all, i hope you all are doing ok

i need some help,

my brother is looking into buying his first car, we found a really nice 2002 eclipse RS automatic( he is getting an automatic because it is his first time driving) it looks good but on one of the pictures at the dealership's website it shows a photo of the dashboard and there is this orange light on:

can somebody tell me what it means?

is it bad?

in case its not bad, are these cars reliable? from what i have seen this car doesnt look abused and it looks entirely stock, it has 75k miles

please dont worry about insurance at all.....

thanks!
The orange light is the "Check engine" light! I can be many things to be exact (o2 sensor, EGR, etc)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Mr6G72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/15/2013, 02:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr6G72 View Post
The orange light is the "Check engine" light! I can be many things to be exact (o2 sensor, EGR, etc)

oh well i'll keep on searching, how reliable are these cars as long as they are not abused? we only like the 3G eclipse BTW xDD
Old 02/15/2013, 02:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
oh well i'll keep on searching, how reliable are these cars as long as they are not abused? we only like the 3G eclipse BTW xDD
They are reliable..but you have to keep up the maintenance like every car! How much does your brother have to spend? Personal preference would be a GS or a GTS since he wants an auto! Good luck tho

Old 02/15/2013, 04:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr6G72 View Post
They are reliable..but you have to keep up the maintenance like every car! How much does your brother have to spend? Personal preference would be a GS or a GTS since he wants an auto! Good luck tho

thanks!

he has $6000 to spend. you think we can find a good deal with that? or we need more?

Last edited by camargo2013; 02/15/2013 at 04:45 PM. Reason: moar details
Old 02/15/2013, 04:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Vehicle: 05 UV Blue GS
Bulldogger : who are you?
need help on buying a 2002 eclipse

I just picked up my 05 GS with 55k miles for 8k in june from a dealer.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Bulldogger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/15/2013, 05:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
thanks!

he has $6000 to spend. you think we can find a good deal with that? or we need more?
With that money he can buy a GT or GTS CASH! But since you say you want Auto a GTS would be best

Old 02/16/2013, 02:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2002 Eclipse GT
Lanlan : who are you?
I just got screwed on an 02 Eclipse GT because I didn't know what to look for, but in the past couple days I've learned more than I ever thought I'd know about cars. Take it to a mechanic before you buy it and have him (or her) check it out. Check for any leaking fluids (mine had a huge radiator crack), any misfires, you'll feel it (mine misses, HOPING it's just the plugs), make sure to see a carfax history report, ask if the timing belt has been replaced every 60k miles. I wish I knew three days ago what I know now. I'm already about $300 in parts-wise, I paid $2700 for mine.
Lanlan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/16/2013, 03:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

Vehicle: 04 GS Spyder
emppy : who are you?
Check engine light should have been a hint. :/
emppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/16/2013, 03:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2002 Eclipse GT
Lanlan : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by emppy View Post
Check engine light should have been a hint. :/
Mine had no light on. I was car hungry and knew nothing about cars and had $3000 to spend, I test drove the Eclipse and fell in love immediately. I'm gonna fix this this thing, replacing the radiator and thermostat Monday, new plugs, wires, gaskets, rotor, distributor valve and shit are on order right now. I will make this car awesome.
Lanlan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/16/2013, 10:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
lit up

Vehicle: '02 mountain bike
soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.
i think the ses light comes on whenever the motor isn't running(key turned on, but hasn't started it yet) as well, so because the pic is angled so low, it's really hard to tell if there is a issue.

if you're concerned about it, go and look at it in person..

but +1 million to getting it checked out by a private mechanic first.
soundman98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/16/2013, 08:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

Smile

I cant go see that car in person since its far lol

but I found a 2003 eclipse GT automatic with 80k miles, it costs $5k cash, good deal or seems too cheap? I'm going to go see it on Tuesday. its from a dealer btw...

for what should I look for apart from leaks? what's the most common problem in these cars?? I. can't bring it to a mechanic since they charge an arm and a leg only for checking it '-'

Last edited by camargo2013; 02/16/2013 at 08:30 PM. Reason: fix
Old 02/16/2013, 08:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Electrify

Vehicle: 2001 Black Eclipse GT
grfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by all

3gs nowadays are only worth 3Gs.
Old 02/17/2013, 12:46 AM   #14 (permalink)

blackspydergt should be considered a regularblackspydergt should be considered a regularblackspydergt should be considered a regularblackspydergt should be considered a regularblackspydergt should be considered a regularblackspydergt should be considered a regularblackspydergt should be considered a regularblackspydergt should be considered a regularblackspydergt should be considered a regularblackspydergt should be considered a regularblackspydergt should be considered a regular
There are tons of basic things you should do, ill prob miss a lot but

1. Check the car fax. If they don't have one download the app and it will tell ypu everything. It's pretty easy and can tell you a lot.
2. See if the dealer knows the person who had it b4s age. This may seem odd. But a car that has 170k on it driven slowly and carefully by an old man, is in mug better condition tha. A 18 year old kid that floors it all the time!.
3. Before ypu even test drive it, check all the fluids. Oil should be goldish, tranny should be red ext.
4. Test drive it, listen for any kinds of odd noises and other things. Test ac and heat!! Make sure you ride through all gears and reverse. Also yoi should brake hard and make sharp turns. Make sure its smooth and no shaking.
5. When you get done driving get out and pop the hood, smell for anything that smells like burning. Check oil sgsin, see if level has changed.
6. Lay down and look underneath the front end. Is there oil everywhere? Dents big scrsyvjes or dings?
7. Also check the tires, you can always use the penny trick to check the tread, and look for dry rot and bent wheels as well
8. Stand beside the front wheel and push down on the car, start rocking the car then suddenly stop, if the cat still.moves then somethings bad, check all four wheels!

Hoped some of this helped, would do.more bout I'm bout to fall asleep lol
blackspydergt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Eclipse General Discussion > 3G Eclipse General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.