178K Miles Keep Going?!? - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Eclipse General Discussion > 3G Eclipse General Discussion

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12/30/2016, 11:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: Mitsubishi Eclipse
Polska29 : who are you?
178K Miles Keep Going?!?

Currently 178,000 Miles.
Should I spend more money or call it quits on repairs. Im only 21 years old and Im a full time student.
For the past few years I've been putting all my money into my 2002 Eclipse Spyder GT. It has a manual transmission, a blast to drive. Id like to share with you what ive done to my car so far since i bought the car with 100k Miles.

0. 161K Replaced Transmission & Engine Mounts. Replaced Gearbox. Replaced Transmission with a New Stage 2 Clutch & Flywheel.
1. Rear Brake Job Includes New brake Pads & Rotors
2. Replaced Left Front Strut Mount
3. Replaced Left and Right Sway Bar Links.
4. Synthetic Oil Changes Since Since Original Owner & 'Plus' Gas.
5. Replaced Fuel Pump. Put on Wheels From a 2003 Eclipse and Added Raptor Tires.
6. Replaced Alternator And Serpentine Belt.
7. Replaced Distributor Assy With Rotor & Cap.
8. Replaced all Spark Plugs and Ignition Wire Set.
9. Replaced Valve Cover Gasket
10. Installed New Battery
11. Front Brake Job Rotors & Pads

How much would you have paid for all this, Give me your estimate in a post below if you can.

Now for the bad part...
Ill be at 200k Miles soon, the Timing Belt has never been changed. This is my main concern. The suspension is terrible, i feel every bump. The drivers leather seat is ripped open. My eclipse has lots of dings and dents. A/C hasnt worked since i bought it. The convertible top leaks sometimes and its constantly damp inside, condensation is terrible. BUT i love this car. My parents tell me im an idiot for buying this car for $2150. Also the hoods paint has almost entirely come off.
So my main question to the Club3G community is, should I keep going??
Please help...

Last edited by Polska29; 12/30/2016 at 11:59 AM.
Polska29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12/30/2016, 01:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Vroom Psshh

Vehicle: 03' Eclipse GS
jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.
Send a message via Yahoo to jstewart92
So you bought the car for $2150 @ 100k miles, not a bad deal, depending on condition. Lets assume you purchased any other car @$2k, all the stuff 0-11 is usually normal maintenance other than transmission, so all of that cost can hardly be a factor. That includes a timing belt which for these cars and those miles is a ticking time bomb, but a high expense if you aren't DIY. I'm the type of person who would consider staying out of debt = winning. So unless you have money saved up I wouldn't highly consider replacing it, in the end it becomes a gamble on how long the car will last you, and only you can decide that, regardless of maintenance needed.

Consider the cost of the required maintenance remaining, your insurance cost, and how many miles you think that maintenance could make the car good for, then consider the cost of a replacement vehicle, associated maintenance, registration/tags/insurance cost, and how long you think it would be good for. If the eclipse has lower $$$/mile then stick with it, if used car has lower $$$/mile go that route.
jstewart92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/09/2017, 01:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Vehicle: 03 eclipse
Btraxxas2272 : who are you?
Keep it! Nothing wrong with a little maintenance! So far it doesn't look like much out of the ordinary. My top leaks, dash is cracked, needs new motor mounts, have had a few other issues. But, unless your planning on putting lots down for a new car, it seems like any other car you get will need maintenance done as well, I'd keep it until a repair comes up that costs a large and excessive amount to the point of it being smarter to get a different car
Btraxxas2272 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01/09/2017, 11:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
05 gts

Leeroy is well-liked by manyLeeroy is well-liked by manyLeeroy is well-liked by manyLeeroy is well-liked by manyLeeroy is well-liked by manyLeeroy is well-liked by manyLeeroy is well-liked by manyLeeroy is well-liked by manyLeeroy is well-liked by manyLeeroy is well-liked by manyLeeroy is well-liked by many
ticking bomb with those motor mounts. i would take the time to fix that.... if you care enough lol
Leeroy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Eclipse General Discussion > 3G Eclipse General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Random Question