Removing Stratus R/T 3.0 (6g72) clutch - help? - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > 3G Eclipse GT/GTS Specific
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08/28/2008, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

JasonDMX2 : who are you?
Removing Stratus R/T 3.0 (6g72) clutch - help?

I know it's a stratus, but mitsubishi built it 2001 6g72

I am having a hell of a time trying to get the release bearing free of the release lever, it just won't happen. I pry and pry on that cadmium coated (or whatever gold coating that is) ring right under the release bearing and got it to move away from it a little bit, but in some spots it took a lot of force and felt like it was bending something.

The trans is off the motor if anyone was wondering, actually I could reach the pressure plate bolts from the release lever hole so I went ahead and took the flywheel and clutch disc off thinking it would make it somewhat easier to get this pressure plate off. No luck with that.

Any ideas? I sure would appreciate it.

Last edited by JasonDMX2; 08/28/2008 at 10:02 PM.
JasonDMX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08/28/2008, 10:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Kampfbereit

Vehicle: 2007 350Z
Tearstone has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to Tearstone Send a message via AIM to Tearstone
Watch: YouTube - Eclipse Throwout bearing PS24
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/28/2008, 10:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
TxTuning.com

Vehicle: '13 Wrx
Tx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearstone View Post
That's the video me and Bo used on my tranny :P
Old 08/28/2008, 10:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Vehicle: 2g stratus 2g eclipse
PharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by allPharmEcis seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to PharmEcis
I wrote a very specific how to many years ago that is in the garage. It explains everything and the work was done on a Stratus.

PharmEcis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/29/2008, 08:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
spanky

Vehicle: 2001 GT
eclipse1989 : who are you?
i had the same problem i ended up just unbolting the clutch from the flywheel. a lot quicker for me
eclipse1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/29/2008, 12:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Yeah I unbolted the flywheel from the flex plate (actually cut those damn 10 pointed bolts off) and I've also unbolted the pressure plate from the back of the flywheel throw the release lever hole with a 3/8 universal joint and extension. But, after I got the flywheel out, my release bearing is still captive to the release lever and holding my pressure plate in the trans.

I think the ring that holds the release bearing on is now visibile on the engine block side of my pressure plate though, so maybe I can get a pick in there and dislodge the ring. My ring and throwout bearing is nothing like what's in that youtube movie, it's a little bit more captive. I imagine I'll just have to get a new "tob." Thanks for the replies, this has sent me in the right direction to getting this pain of a bearing off.

Oh, while I'm at it. Does anyone know if you can get the new ring seperate? Or does it come all as one assembly when you get a new throw out bearing from mitsubishi? Any cheaper aftermarket solutions you guys know about?

Last edited by JasonDMX2; 08/29/2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08/29/2008, 02:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Status update: the inner ring was loose from the pressure plate fingers (springs) that was probably half the problem as it was just sliding with the wedge collar. Although I beleive the wedge collar to be mucked up from the beginning the prying just made it worse.

So I busted out the dremel and cut out enough of that stainless ring to get a small screwdriver behind it and started driving it around the circle and thus extracting the ring (sure was stuck in there good.)

As I predicted in the previous post the wedge collar and the ring are definitely destroyed. Anyone have any idea if these pieces come with a new throwout bearing somewhere? Or can I just get these pieces? Probably could stand to use a new inner bushing for the pressure plate fingers too, if something like that would be available.

I guess what the haynes manual meant by the 2001 on models came with a standard clutch is that they are still modular, but are bolted together versus riveted together? Seems there is no way to align a new disc with the flywheel though because it's not splined, maybe that's why they only sell pre-assembled clutches for this model? (for 500 dollars : /)

Last edited by JasonDMX2; 08/29/2008 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08/29/2008, 08:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Low and Slow.

Vehicle: Dodge Stratus Coupe
Pearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to Pearl01Strat
I can't help you with your problem directly, but since you are now here and not on Dodgeforum, I can direct you to 2gstratus.org. Search there a bit; maybe you will have better luck.

My car
Pearl01Strat is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/29/2008, 09:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Well, I've managed to get everything apart. My problem now is that I need a new wedge collar and retaining ring. I'd rather not shortchange a new clutch kit for these parts, but I may have to do just that...

I'll make a visit over at 2g and see what's goin on. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > 3G Eclipse GT/GTS Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.