Detuning - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > 3G Eclipse GT/GTS Specific

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04/07/2017, 03:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Jayinnh : who are you?
Detuning

About to give my 3.0 spyder to my 16 year old.
Can I give it a 3000 rpm redline?
Jayinnh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04/07/2017, 03:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2003 Eclipse GTS
Kyzaon : who are you?
Rev limiter of 3,000 rpm is a little much don't you think? I'm certain it's doable but I personally wouldn't know how.
Kyzaon is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/07/2017, 08:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 eclipse gt
6g75_3g : who are you?
Its do able but not practical. You car would practically be useless driving
6g75_3g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04/07/2017, 09:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
am cat

Vehicle: 2007 Camaro
Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
install a wooden block under the gas pedal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/11/2017, 04:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi

Vehicle: 2003 GTS 5sp.
repforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regular
With ECU Flash, you can certainly give it any redline you want. 3000 RPM is way too low to be usable. 5000 might be as low as I would go.

There are many OBD2/gps loggers out there that can record location and speed. I would use one of those for a new driver.
repforenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/11/2017, 12:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Redneck Yankee Admin

Vehicle: 05 GS-T Remix Edition
Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by repforenzo View Post
With ECU Flash, you can certainly give it any redline you want. 3000 RPM is way too low to be usable. 5000 might be as low as I would go.

There are many OBD2/gps loggers out there that can record location and speed. I would use one of those for a new driver.
This is what I immediately thought of. Altering performance would be silly. Especially if the kid needed it to get out of a rough spot. Just talk to the kid about speeding.

If life is a highway, mine is missing some signs.

Chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/13/2017, 07:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2003 Eclipse Spyder GTS
Cyan : who are you?
I am a 16 year old and my first car is exactly that. In my opinion, he's gonna beat on it, he's probably gonna crash it. Just let him have fun & learn. Drive with him & teach him how to go fast and do stupid shit like burnouts and reverse donuts so when he does the stupid shit by himself he will know how to do it without fucking anything up.
Cyan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/14/2017, 08:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Redneck Yankee Admin

Vehicle: 05 GS-T Remix Edition
Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyan View Post
I am a 16 year old and my first car is exactly that. In my opinion, he's gonna beat on it, he's probably gonna crash it. Just let him have fun & learn. Drive with him & teach him how to go fast and do stupid shit like burnouts and reverse donuts so when he does the stupid shit by himself he will know how to do it without fucking anything up.
This is such a 16 year olds response.

If life is a highway, mine is missing some signs.

Chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/14/2017, 10:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
This is such a 16 year olds response.
Seriously, though, why do something like this to a car? If you don't trust your son, don't give him the car in the first place. Mine was a $1500 beater so I could learn manual - and how to work on cars, so who cares if I rape the engine, but there's no point in forcing his son into a lower RPM.
Old 06/14/2017, 01:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

It would be better to limit the car to around 80, so that he can speed up if he needs to but not excessively speed.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
Old 06/15/2017, 08:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi

repforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regularrepforenzo should be considered a regular
Here's what my plans are for my son's first car:

-Get him a manual 3g (or similar) that is in good working order (pending).
-Place a gps logger onto the OBD2 port (definitely happening).
-Retune for 87 octane. (possibly).
-Brembo brake swap (possibly but this is one of the best upgrades I did).

The 3g's stock output level is relatively low-to-average compared to cars today. It's speed and stupidity that kills.
Old 06/15/2017, 11:01 AM   #12 (permalink)

Why would you try to tune on 87oct....wtf
Old 06/15/2017, 11:54 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6g75_3g View Post
Why would you try to tune on 87oct....wtf
I agree, why would you tune on 87? We all should know that even though Premium is more expensive it's way better for the engine... I'm sure plenty of people run 87 octane but, just why?...
Old 06/15/2017, 03:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi

It might be more of an experiment on my end. Just seeing if I could maximize the tune for the cheaper 87. Since the V6s were designed for premium, it my be a lesson in futility (too much power lost due to retarding the timing, and damage to the cats due to late burn).

Last edited by repforenzo; 06/15/2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06/15/2017, 09:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

Or maybe bc u will see an increase in knock
Old 06/16/2017, 06:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6g75_3g View Post
Or maybe bc u will see an increase in knock
I would tune that out. I do know what I'm doing tuning-wise. At highway speeds under low to moderate load, the v6 runs around 42-44 of timing advance. This aids fuel economy and emissions. The stock fuel maps are a tad rich, too.

We'll see. Looking at several stock 3gs. In the very least, I'll log some fuel trims and see if every thing is within spec.
Old 06/17/2017, 03:30 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
-Place a gps logger onto the OBD2 port (definitely happening).
Why? Out of curiosity..?
A kid's first car should be the first step into freedom: and logging everything he's doing is not allowing him to be free.
Old 06/17/2017, 06:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
am cat

Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
Someone didn't learn anything from 'The Magic Schoolbus'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8jw_-Vh9Z0

Old 06/18/2017, 01:42 AM   #19 (permalink)
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi

Quote:
Why? Out of curiosity..?

A kid's first car should be the first step into freedom: and logging everything he's doing is not allowing him to be free.

You got a kid? If not, you have no clue. Talk to me when you have a teenage.
Old 06/18/2017, 02:12 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
+1
Old 06/18/2017, 03:26 AM   #21 (permalink)
am cat

It's one thing to keep tabs on if they're speeding or something but if you're sitting at the computer watching their dot drive around town on a map...you've got some trust issues to work out that won't be solved by a GPS dongle in the OBD2 port

As far as de-tuning the car my guess would be the kid is probably savvy enough to figure it out and re-tune it, I know I broke every lock my parents made when I was a teen, physical or software, there was nothing they could do to block me from what I wanted to do. The harder they tried to stop me, the smarter I got at getting around it. I mean hell, he'll google 'make my 200x eclipse faster' and probably come STRAIGHT to our thread about ECU flash and tuning anyway, and just undo what was done.

Old 06/18/2017, 11:53 AM   #22 (permalink)
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi

Detuning

Lol I do have a very good kid in terms of him being trustworthy. But sometimes it's "trust with verification". And no, I will not sit in front of the GPS watching his every move. But those programs now allow you to get 'alarms', meaning if he does 85 mph in a 45 mile an hour zone I will get a notification. Then he'll have some explaining to do.

As a parent you find that you do more to protect your kids from themselves. While at the same time working them toward independence. It's a balance. Which is the reason why this thread was started in the first place.
Old 06/18/2017, 08:46 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
I *am* a kid, my point is from the other side of the argument and should be considered as such.
Old 06/18/2017, 08:58 PM   #24 (permalink)
am cat

As long as they know the device is there I guess, being all sneaky like just sends the message you don't trust and the it becomes spy vs spy and lemme tell ya, the kid wins that one every time Even if they don't get around that one particular thing it sets up a whole life long mentality that it's you vs them and they HAVE to keep things secret that you might not approve of or would give them shit for. I get what you're saying, as long as you do it right and everyone understands. Don't detune the car being sneaky, tell them 'hey I curbed the performance some till you're a more confident driver, this thing gets some wicked torque steer if you get on it hard' then you can make the car a bonding experience, show them how the tuning works, timing, fueling, etc.

Done right it brings you closer, done wrong it pushes you apart.

Old 06/19/2017, 02:08 PM   #25 (permalink)
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi

Detuning

Quote:
I *am* a kid, my point is from the other side of the argument and should be considered as such.

I've considered it and dismissed it. If you aren't a parent, you will never understand. Once you are, then you can determine how much freedom you allow and conversely what is over the line.

Too many teenagers kill themselves on the road due to stupidity. I've personally lost friends this way. What a waste.

I have a very good relationship with my kid, because I'm involved. We are both transparent and communicate well. He knows about the eventual gps device (which he didn't complain about btw). And if it provides a deterrent to stupid driving, then I'm all for it.
Old 06/19/2017, 08:16 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
I've considered it and dismissed it. If you aren't a parent, you will never understand. Once you are, then you can determine how much freedom you allow and conversely what is over the line.

Too many teenagers kill themselves on the road due to stupidity. I've personally lost friends this way. What a waste.

I have a very good relationship with my kid, because I'm involved. We are both transparent and communicate well. He knows about the eventual gps device (which he didn't complain about btw). And if it provides a deterrent to stupid driving, then I'm all for it.
Well, my dad was in the exact same situation (although I'm sure my $1500 eclipse from the junkyard is not as expensive as yours) so I urge you to reconsider dismissing my entire argument..
If you have a very good relationship like you say you do, teach him how to drive it fast and do stupid shit: that way he won't have to figure it out himself and he can do it under your terms.
Old 06/19/2017, 09:55 PM   #27 (permalink)
am cat

I wish I'd had a better grasp on understeer And understood better how when two objects are approaching a stationary object that stationary object can obscure the approaching objects from one another, till one turns in front of the other!

Old 06/19/2017, 10:50 PM   #28 (permalink)
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi

lol Enough of this parenting crap. Cyan I would set your rev limiter to 2000 rpm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > 3G Eclipse GT/GTS Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Random Question