Any way to make the car run cooler? - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > 3G Eclipse GT/GTS Specific
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06/24/2005, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Formerly Nokio

Vehicle: Kia Sorento
Korey : who are you?Korey : who are you?Korey : who are you?Korey : who are you?Korey : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to Korey
Any way to make the car run cooler?

I been driving my moms Infiniti FX for the past week, and i've noticed that the temp gauge, after hours of driving, will not be near the middle of the gauge, yet, with my car, after hours of driving, the damn thing fluctuates from just above the middle, to a little below the middle. I've also noticed, that when my car is still warming up in the morning as I drive it to work, it shifts a lot smoother (the warmer it gets, the harder it shifts), and until it warms up, seems like it a lot less hesitant to get moving when I hit the gas. SO, my question is, how can I make my car run a lot cooler than it does?

After hours of driving, my needle in my car would probably be resting RIGHT above the top of the temperature sign.
Korey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06/24/2005, 04:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
03 RT

Vehicle: 03 Stratus RT
wingman : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to wingman Send a message via Yahoo to wingman
maybe the gauges are set up differently. the cars could be running at the same temp. for example maybe the infinity gauge registers from 0-400 and your car gauge is for 0-300. if both cars were running at 200 your gauge would be just over half and in infinite gauge would be right at half.
wingman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/24/2005, 04:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
freakin woot

Vehicle: Black 03 GS
Combustible : who are you?Combustible : who are you?Combustible : who are you?
Send a message via ICQ to Combustible Send a message via AIM to Combustible Send a message via MSN to Combustible Send a message via Yahoo to Combustible
you could get a better radiator, but thats really about it.
Old 06/24/2005, 05:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
*insert funny title*

Vehicle: 2003 Audi A6 2.7t quattro
Jabber is one of the reasons this club existsJabber is one of the reasons this club existsJabber is one of the reasons this club existsJabber is one of the reasons this club existsJabber is one of the reasons this club existsJabber is one of the reasons this club existsJabber is one of the reasons this club existsJabber is one of the reasons this club existsJabber is one of the reasons this club existsJabber is one of the reasons this club existsJabber is one of the reasons this club exists
switch out the thermostat. But really, Wingman is correct. It is just how the needle is sitting. If your car is shifting harder after it warms up, I would first check the fluid level, if everything is ok, change the fluid. Last case scenario, a trans cooler. A trans cooler is usually used for vehicles which will be towing something though.
Jabber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/24/2005, 05:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
5 Speed GT Spyder

Vehicle: 2003 Mustang GT
andrewken : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to andrewken
Why is it that it has the H on top followed by a a little line marking it, then another line 4/5 of the way up and then another line marked with the C.

H=Hot, C=Cold obviously, so why is there another line so high up there?
andrewken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/24/2005, 05:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Formerly Nokio

Korey : who are you?Korey : who are you?Korey : who are you?Korey : who are you?Korey : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewken
Why is it that it has the H on top followed by a a little line marking it, then another line 4/5 of the way up and then another line marked with the C.

H=Hot, C=Cold obviously, so why is there another line so high up there?
Dunno....I guess the mark under the H means to pull that ass over before some real bad shit occurs.
Old 06/24/2005, 06:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
5 Speed GT Spyder

Vehicle: 2003 Mustang GT
andrewken : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to andrewken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokio
Dunno....I guess the mark under the H means to pull that ass over before some real bad shit occurs.
andrewken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/24/2005, 07:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sebring 6G72

Vehicle: Sebring Swapped 6G72
Burn504 : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to Burn504
exactly...

normal operating temp for most all engines is 190-200.... although there are cars that have 180 and some that run at 210...

stock gauges are far from accurate. i have seen cars with coolant temp of 230 and the stock gauge was in the same spot.

that little line is the warning... it means exactly what he said above. Pull the fuck over and call the tow truck

but to answer the underlying question.. yes get a different thermostat. I have seen as low as 170 for these cars.

but in all reality.. colder air means more power.. but colder coolant does not necessarily mean more power. Heat helps the combustion process. It is more efficient to be around stock operating temp. Less fuel will be used to make the same amount of power.

anything below 160ish you will get a code for not reaching operating temps and your car will run open loop (preset(very bad))
Burn504 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/24/2005, 08:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Formerly Nokio

So, different thermostats will allow the car to run at different temps?

Like, I can go buy one, that will make my car run cooler than the stock thermostat does? Or is that all controlled be the ECU?
Old 06/24/2005, 08:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pee in the sink

Vehicle: 2005 Black GTS
stylez is recognized club-widestylez is recognized club-widestylez is recognized club-widestylez is recognized club-widestylez is recognized club-widestylez is recognized club-widestylez is recognized club-widestylez is recognized club-widestylez is recognized club-widestylez is recognized club-widestylez is recognized club-wide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokio
So, different thermostats will allow the car to run at different temps?

Like, I can go buy one, that will make my car run cooler than the stock thermostat does? Or is that all controlled be the ECU?
Yes, you can buy a new thermostat to run yuor engine at a cooler temp. But why would you? There is absolutely no performance benefit of it. In fact, just as Burn has said, too much cooling is bad for your car too, and performance.
stylez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/24/2005, 08:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Sebring 6G72

all the thermostat does is hold the coolant from fully circulating through the radiator until it reachs a certain temp. It will open when it reaches 190 and will close if it goes below. Basically keeping it in operating temp. If its very cold outside(winter) the t stat might stay closed to allow the engine to stay at oper temp and only open once in a while to circulate the coolant only to close and let it warm up again.
Old 06/24/2005, 08:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Sebring 6G72

alot of people will go to a 180... but i dont really recommend going lower than that.

if you have an engine that has issues with heat. Some engines are prone to it. They will use 170's as a safety precaution. But they are tuning the car as that being the operating temp. The car will use more fuel.. to combust the same at 170 as opposed to 190. maybe you will get 1hp.. which is like .7whp... lol
Old 06/25/2005, 02:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Formerly Nokio

I really just want to get rid of that hard shifting once the car warms up. When its cold (still warming up as 'm driving), the shifts kinda blend into each other, especially from 1-2. The RPM's will, when shifting from 1 to 2, smoothly/gradually drop from the 3500 shifting point (on my car, anyway) down into the next gear. However, when the car has warmed up, the RPM's kind of just "drop" down into the next gear. It gets smoother as I run through the gears, but the upshift from 1 to 2 makes it really noticible, because it drops into that dead spot in 2nd and the car sort of feels like it struggling for a few seconds.
Old 06/25/2005, 07:10 AM   #14 (permalink)
am cat

Vehicle: 2007 Camaro
Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
check the trans fluid level or maybe try a synthetic fluid. i noticed that my trans shifts smooth as glass at 114K miles when i put in sythetic fluid. it shifts smoother than cars with less miles even. as for how yours is shifting....could it be that when the engine is cold the auto trans "granny shifts" to keep the rpms low to reduce fuel consumption on a cold engine. if its shifting low in the gears its gonna feel smoother. the dead spot....when you peg the gas at about 35-40, the rpms climb slowly as the car slowly accels up?
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/25/2005, 09:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
Sebring 6G72

Definitly change your trans fluid... when the fluid breaks down from getting so hot constantly. The fluid will be less effective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > 3G Eclipse GT/GTS Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.