Replacing valve cover - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > 3G Eclipse GT/GTS Specific
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12/10/2005, 10:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Corner Carver

Vehicle: BMW 330i
mko9 has a few friends heremko9 has a few friends heremko9 has a few friends heremko9 has a few friends heremko9 has a few friends heremko9 has a few friends heremko9 has a few friends heremko9 has a few friends here
Replacing valve cover

Ref: http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51904

Can anyone tell me what is involved with swapping out the valve cover? I have no problem with selling my valve cover to howdyfolk, but I am not looking to create a bunch of ass-pain for myself trying to do it. I am assuming it is pretty straightforward to replace the valve cover and gasket, but if anyone has done the job before I'd love to hear about any potential difficulties.

Thanks
mko9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12/10/2005, 03:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
bollocks

Vehicle: 04 Z/00 3g
darklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to darklink Send a message via MSN to darklink Send a message via Yahoo to darklink
its a fairly straightforward procedure. i think 6 bolts, and 2 little hoses. the only tricky part is getting the little rubber grommet out of the left side of the cover. then you have to work it a little bit to get it back on and get the 2 hoses back in.
youre lookin at like 10 min, tops.
darklink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/11/2005, 07:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dr. 9023G

Lets just say 20 minutes to be safe.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/11/2005, 08:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
bollocks

Vehicle: 04 Z/00 3g
darklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by alldarklink seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to darklink Send a message via MSN to darklink Send a message via Yahoo to darklink
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdyfolk
Lets just say 20 minutes to be safe.
you must not work on your car that much
darklink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/11/2005, 08:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dr. 9023G

Evertime I think something is gonna take five minutes, it ends up taking ten. My car is an 01 and has never had anything removed. when I go to remove bolts they are always seized up and corroded. I am just now swapping it all out and cleaning her up. It only has 50,000 miles on it, but fucking salt trucks are an invention of the devil.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/12/2005, 01:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Corner Carver

mko9 has a few friends heremko9 has a few friends heremko9 has a few friends heremko9 has a few friends heremko9 has a few friends heremko9 has a few friends heremko9 has a few friends heremko9 has a few friends here
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklink
you must not work on your car that much
Couldn't do anything to the engine and remain in STS. Other than a CAI.

I did it to my BMW 320i about 15 years ago. Took a lot longer than I expected as there were a few things in the way, and I didn't get a good seal with the gasket, so it ran a little rough afterwards.
Old 12/12/2005, 02:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Got Boost? Me either

Vehicle: '03 Red GT
Eclipsed4utoo seems to be okayEclipsed4utoo seems to be okayEclipsed4utoo seems to be okayEclipsed4utoo seems to be okayEclipsed4utoo seems to be okayEclipsed4utoo seems to be okayEclipsed4utoo seems to be okayEclipsed4utoo seems to be okay
Send a message via AIM to Eclipsed4utoo
remember that you won't be able to reuse the gasket.
Eclipsed4utoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/12/2005, 02:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Kampfbereit

Vehicle: 2007 350Z
Tearstone has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to Tearstone Send a message via AIM to Tearstone
You need a new valve cover gasket set.

After unbolting all the bolts of the valve cover, and removing all the hoses the valve cover gasket will fuse the valve cover to the head. You simply need a 2x4 and a rubber mallet to dislodge the valve cover off of the head.

It's really very straight foward and nothing to be scared of. Just DO NOT overtorque your bolts and follow the Factory Service Manual's specifications to tighten your bolts down in inch pounds. If you overtighten your bolts, the valve cover will bend very easily and it will leak, forever.
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/12/2005, 03:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
RNC Performance

Vehicle: '01 Stratus
rich1034 : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to rich1034
The hardest part for me was getting the old gasket out without bending the flange, but mine seemed to be welded in there. Still, it took 10 minutes tops.
Old 12/12/2005, 05:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Kampfbereit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1034
The hardest part for me was getting the old gasket out without bending the flange, but mine seemed to be welded in there. Still, it took 10 minutes tops.
I use a pick set to get the old ones out.
Old 12/12/2005, 05:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Exacerbated Member

Vehicle: 2kFsGt5sp/TbPP
WorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wide
For what itís worthÖ

A few years ago I loaned one of my extra valve covers to a member so he could get his cover chrome plated.

He didnít use my instructions to remove his valve coverÖ.

He used a 2x4 and a mallet to remove his cover, and instead of getting his chromed he sent mine in and sent me back his DENTED IN cover.

A dented cover is a worthless thing for a show car.
A 2x4 is not a proper tool to use on your car.

I have had my valve covers on and off many times and donít replace the gasket unless it is hard or cracked (only one time)

Much of what gets passed around on this board is pure crap. Sorry about that if I hurt your feelings but thatís the way I see it.

Last edited by WorldWind; 12/12/2005 at 05:53 PM.
WorldWind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/12/2005, 05:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Exacerbated Member

Vehicle: 2kFsGt5sp/TbPP
WorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wide
Using a hard sharp instrument to remove your gasket leaves scratches in the metal that can become paths for the oil to leak through. Soaking a rubber gasket in break fluid will soften it and then you can remove it by hand or with an orange stick. A hard brittle gasket is an indication that you are running your engine bay too hot.
WorldWind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/12/2005, 06:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Kampfbereit

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldWind
For what itís worthÖ

A few years ago I loaned one of my extra valve covers to a member so he could get his cover chrome plated.

He didnít use my instructions to remove his valve coverÖ.

He used a 2x4 and a mallet to remove his cover, and instead of getting his chromed he sent mine in and sent me back his DENTED IN cover.

A dented cover is a worthless thing for a show car.
A 2x4 is not a proper tool to use on your car.

I have had my valve covers on and off many times and donít replace the gasket unless it is hard or cracked (only one time)

Much of what gets passed around on this board is pure crap. Sorry about that if I hurt your feelings but thatís the way I see it.
According to the FSM, they use a wooden block to remove your lower oil pan.

I've taken off quite a few valve covers in my day using this method, and even my valve cover is coated, yet I have never dented a single one. You might want to use a rubber hammer and a softer hand next time you try to remove a valve cover of your own.
Old 12/12/2005, 06:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Kampfbereit

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldWind
Using a hard sharp instrument to remove your gasket leaves scratches in the metal that can become paths for the oil to leak through. Soaking a rubber gasket in break fluid will soften it and then you can remove it by hand or with an orange stick. A hard brittle gasket is an indication that you are running your engine bay too hot.
With a steady hand, using the pics to stab into enough of the gasket to get a better grip on it than with your fingers works out quite a bit better. Most, if not all Eclipse, Galant and Stratus valve covers that I've moved in this hot state of Florida have hard brittle head gaskets after about 3-4 years.
Old 12/13/2005, 09:27 AM   #15 (permalink)
RNC Performance

Vehicle: '01 Stratus
rich1034 : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to rich1034
I actually used a rubber mallet to break my valve cover loose, but a 2x4 would work the same, it's not like you have to pound on it, just a few light raps and it breaks free. I'll agree with Tearstone, being here in Oklahoma, where the temps are consistantly over 95 degrees in the summer, all the valve cover gaskets I've seen are brittle.
Old 12/13/2005, 11:28 AM   #16 (permalink)
Corner Carver

Could someone post pics? Just kidding. Thanks for the gouge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > 3G Eclipse GT/GTS Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.