AWD Conversion - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > 3G Eclipse RS/GS Specific
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03/13/2005, 03:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: 95 Eagle Talon
tacoman123 : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to tacoman123
AWD Conversion

Hello:
Me and my friend were talking. He is planning to do an AWD conversion in his 4G63T swapped Galant. Anyways, we started messing with parts number and the Mitsubishi CAPS system. We were talking about how the 2G Eclipse was based of the 7G Galant chassis. Then I thought about the 3G Eclipse, and if it was based on the 7G Galant chassis, and it surely is. We saw that the 8G Galant, and the 3G Eclipse had the same part number for the rear subframe. Then, I thought that there was an AWD 8G Galant. So I'm guessing the rear subframe from the 8G Galant would bolt-into the body of the 3G Eclipse. There's a few things that you would have to consider before doing the swap though:

Driveshaft tunnel: Is there one? Would the exhaust tunnel be big enough for a driveshaft? If no, a little cutting won't be harmful.

Carrier bearing: The bracket would need to be welded onto the body. A bracket for it won't be too hard to fabricate, if we can partially use the one from the donor vehicle.

Transmission/transfer case: IS there even any room for a transfer case in the 3G body? I am assuming that there isn't. Then, would an AWD trans (more than likely EVO4+ MT) bolt-onto the 4G64 that its going onto? Will it sit in the same mounts as the FWD trans? Most importantly, will the transfer case output, line up to the rear differential?

Fuel tank: We can assume that we will be using a fuel cell, just to get this issue out of the way.

Alright, I am done. Discuss.

-Tahleel
tacoman123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03/13/2005, 04:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Pylon Assassin

Tachyon : who are you?
um... the discussion starts and ends with "is it worth it to convert our fwd platforms into awd?"

the usual answer is "anything could be done with enough $$$", but is anyone silly enough to try it? probably not.
Tachyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/13/2005, 04:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon
um... the discussion starts and ends with "is it worth it to convert our fwd platforms into awd?"

the usual answer is "anything could be done with enough $$$", but is anyone silly enough to try it? probably not.
Most people don't know the actual cost of it. Companies like FlashOptions and other JDM engine importers (front cuts), just cut the front, and don't have a need for the rear end, hence why the would sell it to you for cheap ($1000 or less including the body panels, which when taken off, lowers the cost significantly).

The question that most people ask is trying to put the 2G engine and suspension on a 3G chassis, we all know where that post would be going.

Is anyone silly enough to do it? I may be, if I decide to get a 3G. I love my 3 DSM 2G's, but they are starting to show their age, and I need a newer car.

-Tahleel
Old 03/13/2005, 04:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
My Opinion Matters

Vehicle: 01 GS Black
Brad Is 100% Moron!Brad Is 100% Moron!Brad Is 100% Moron!Brad Is 100% Moron!
Words of advice

Dont buy a 3G
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/13/2005, 04:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Sehnsucht

8 Ball Champion Champion!
Vehicle: 2013 370Z
Zrocks04 - if you don't know me, you must be newZrocks04 - if you don't know me, you must be newZrocks04 - if you don't know me, you must be newZrocks04 - if you don't know me, you must be newZrocks04 - if you don't know me, you must be newZrocks04 - if you don't know me, you must be newZrocks04 - if you don't know me, you must be newZrocks04 - if you don't know me, you must be newZrocks04 - if you don't know me, you must be newZrocks04 - if you don't know me, you must be newZrocks04 - if you don't know me, you must be new
Send a message via AIM to Zrocks04
a simple search would have revealed alot to you, this has been discussed so many times since the 3G came out, and like it was said already, it would cost a buttload of money no matter how you do it.

3G-2G-Evo Engine Swap Information
Hey what's up guys...quick question. I know its 2 quarts of oil for the rear diff when replacing fluid but thats conventional oil. Since I'm putting synthetic, it may require more. I couldnt find any info on this so I would like to know what the amount of quarts with synthetic would be for the rear diff. Thanks in advance.
Zrocks04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/13/2005, 05:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrocks04
a simple search would have revealed alot to you, this has been discussed so many times since the 3G came out, and like it was said already, it would cost a buttload of money no matter how you do it.

3G-2G-Evo Engine Swap Information
That post must've been copied from another post from awhile. I remember seeing that post atleast a year or two ago (someone just copied it). (Yes, I've been here for awhile, but my old user name got deleted sometime early last year from not logging in).

$10,000 for an EVO Motor and tranny? Are you kidding me?...
http://www.flashoptions.com/product.asp?prodID=222

That includes the motor, trans, turbo, FMIC, body panels, wiring harness, ECU, dash, and everything else in the engine bay.

As far as costing all that money, can someone put up a price break down of it all, minus the labor charges.. who pays for labor anyways? (Hah, 2G owner speaking). Paying for the transmission, and the rear clip is the biggest cost in the whole project, and in from the link above, you can see its not that much compared to what you will be getting.

And to let you guys now, I'm not serious about starting the project now. Maybe in a year or two, when all of my 2G DSMs die, , I'll consider getting a 3G.

-Tahleel
Old 03/13/2005, 07:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
SLUTTY IGUANA

Vehicle: 2001 GT, SC'd REGAL
BluBlur02 seems to be okayBluBlur02 seems to be okayBluBlur02 seems to be okayBluBlur02 seems to be okayBluBlur02 seems to be okayBluBlur02 seems to be okayBluBlur02 seems to be okay
SHOULDA JUST BOUGHT A GALANT VR-4...
Old 03/13/2005, 10:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

pearlsport : who are you?
Old 03/15/2005, 03:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
2000 GS-T @ 7 psi

Vehicle: Boosted 2000 GS
black4g64 is similar to TE
Send a message via AIM to black4g64
Or a WRX?
black4g64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/15/2005, 09:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

or a chevy 2500 turbo diesel 4x4
Old 03/15/2005, 09:58 AM   #11 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe
spyder01 : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to spyder01
im thinking it would b cheaper to retrofit the 3g body to the EVO underbody
Old 03/15/2005, 11:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Administrator

Vehicle: 4 door shitbox
Strider should be considered a regularStrider should be considered a regularStrider should be considered a regularStrider should be considered a regularStrider should be considered a regularStrider should be considered a regularStrider should be considered a regularStrider should be considered a regularStrider should be considered a regularStrider should be considered a regularStrider should be considered a regular
Send a message via AIM to Strider
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman123
$10,000 for an EVO Motor and tranny? Are you kidding me?...
~$10k is the last price I heard from our trusted friends at RRE. This includes the motor, tranny, rear differential, transfer case, drive line, gas tank that will accommodate the rear diff and drive line, labor for installation, custom fabrication when needed (and I'm sure it will be needed), tuning, and everything else I forgot to list.

If this is too much money for you, and you think you can do it cheaper AND better... then good luck to you!

Here's a hint: If you want AWD, buy an AWD car.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/15/2005, 11:16 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider
Here's a hint: If you want AWD, buy an AWD car.

couldn't agree more. thats one of the mods thats kinda over the line as far as cost/reward.
Old 03/15/2005, 11:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
The Nice Guy

MeanGene : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlsport
couldn't agree more. thats one of the mods thats kinda over the line as far as cost/reward.
like the v6 swap
MeanGene is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/15/2005, 11:29 AM   #15 (permalink)

nah man the v6 swap was only stopped because i would have lost my great turning radius because of the ghey v6 tranny and steering box
Old 03/15/2005, 11:34 AM   #16 (permalink)
Administrator

Vehicle: 4 door shitbox
Strider should be considered a regularStrider should be considered a regularStrider should be considered a regularStrider should be considered a regularStrider should be considered a regularStrider should be considered a regularStrider should be considered a regularStrider should be considered a regularStrider should be considered a regularStrider should be considered a regularStrider should be considered a regular
Send a message via AIM to Strider
That's your excuse? The V6 swap shouldn't have even ever been started.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/15/2005, 11:47 AM   #17 (permalink)
The Nice Guy

MeanGene : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlsport
nah man the v6 swap was only stopped because i would have lost my great turning radius because of the ghey v6 tranny and steering box
its all good i'm just messin' w/ya bro
MeanGene is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/15/2005, 12:42 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider
That's your excuse? The V6 swap shouldn't have even ever been started.
$1900 for GTS V6, with everything (trans, ecu, wiring, blah blah blah).. 31k miles

considering i have 70k miles on mine now, i don't see it as too bad a deal
$34/hp
Old 04/07/2005, 11:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
Too much throttle

Channidai : who are you?
Last I checked a year ago, I could find a 20k mile Galant/Eclipse V6 for $800 complete
Channidai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/08/2005, 02:41 AM   #20 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Vehicle: Tundra
Fergie - if you don't know me, you must be newFergie - if you don't know me, you must be newFergie - if you don't know me, you must be newFergie - if you don't know me, you must be newFergie - if you don't know me, you must be newFergie - if you don't know me, you must be newFergie - if you don't know me, you must be newFergie - if you don't know me, you must be newFergie - if you don't know me, you must be newFergie - if you don't know me, you must be newFergie - if you don't know me, you must be new
ebay has those motors for nothing, look at their front clips to
Fergie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > 3G Eclipse RS/GS Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.