big system = things breaking? - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Non-Performance Car Forums > Car Audio and Electronics
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11/09/2009, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

EclipseRider can pretty much be considered an idiot by all
big system = things breaking?

is it true that if you have a 1200+ watt sound system that it can hurt parts of the engine and other components around the bay? I just now got alot of new parts and was curious if my system can do any damage?
EclipseRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11/09/2009, 01:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hammer Time!

Vehicle: THIS HOUSE!!
jaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club exists
If you plan on turning the system on, you may end up shaking out your headlights. Especially if they were bought on e-bay. Also, your tie-rods may end up bending due to SPL, and then you'll need to replace the u-joint fluid.
jaloosk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/09/2009, 01:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Tetris Champion! Hexxagon Champion!
Vehicle: 10 Jaguar XF-R
aaronsspyder is well-liked by manyaaronsspyder is well-liked by manyaaronsspyder is well-liked by manyaaronsspyder is well-liked by manyaaronsspyder is well-liked by manyaaronsspyder is well-liked by manyaaronsspyder is well-liked by manyaaronsspyder is well-liked by manyaaronsspyder is well-liked by manyaaronsspyder is well-liked by manyaaronsspyder is well-liked by many
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaloosk View Post
If you plan on turning the system on, you may end up shaking out your headlights. Especially if they were bought on e-bay. Also, your tie-rods may end up bending due to SPL, and then you'll need to replace the u-joint fluid.
Haha. +1

Quote:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jaloosk again.
To the OP. On a serious note, maybe an alternator, but that's all I can imagine going. But definitely upgrade the big 3.
aaronsspyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/09/2009, 01:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
JVP
JVP

Vehicle: 2004 stratus r/t
JVP seems to be okayJVP seems to be okayJVP seems to be okayJVP seems to be okayJVP seems to be okayJVP seems to be okay
Send a message via AIM to JVP
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsspyder View Post
Haha. +1

To the OP. On a serious note, maybe an alternator, but that's all I can imagine going. But definitely upgrade the big 3.
and the battery.
JVP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/09/2009, 01:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b hater

Vehicle: 2003 GTS/2008 Lancer GTS
Black Menace - if you don't know me, you must be newBlack Menace - if you don't know me, you must be newBlack Menace - if you don't know me, you must be newBlack Menace - if you don't know me, you must be newBlack Menace - if you don't know me, you must be newBlack Menace - if you don't know me, you must be newBlack Menace - if you don't know me, you must be newBlack Menace - if you don't know me, you must be newBlack Menace - if you don't know me, you must be newBlack Menace - if you don't know me, you must be newBlack Menace - if you don't know me, you must be new
Send a message via AIM to Black Menace
Quote:
That was funny.
Black Menace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/09/2009, 01:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
I'm a wheelsucker

Vehicle: Cannondale SystemSix
rshank is one of the reasons this club existsrshank is one of the reasons this club existsrshank is one of the reasons this club existsrshank is one of the reasons this club existsrshank is one of the reasons this club existsrshank is one of the reasons this club existsrshank is one of the reasons this club existsrshank is one of the reasons this club existsrshank is one of the reasons this club existsrshank is one of the reasons this club existsrshank is one of the reasons this club exists
Send a message via AIM to rshank
it can probably do some damage to your ears too
rshank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/09/2009, 02:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
"S" Car...Gooooooo

Vehicle: 03 GT-T
SvenHoek is well-liked by manySvenHoek is well-liked by manySvenHoek is well-liked by manySvenHoek is well-liked by manySvenHoek is well-liked by manySvenHoek is well-liked by manySvenHoek is well-liked by manySvenHoek is well-liked by manySvenHoek is well-liked by manySvenHoek is well-liked by manySvenHoek is well-liked by many
I've been running my 4800W system in my 3g for about a year now, and there doesn't seem to be any abnormal wear and tear on the vehicle itself other than a couple new rattles in the interior panels; which is fixed with sound mat and new clips. Definitely upgrade the battery and main power though.

GL
SvenHoek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/09/2009, 02:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Hello :)

Vehicle: 08 Evo X /00 GS track car
Clipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by allClipse3GS seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to Clipse3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rshank View Post
it can probably do some damage to your ears too
all he needs are those...

BTW, he is doing it wrong
Old 11/09/2009, 02:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ken
Shocker Lite

Vehicle: RX350
Ken is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by many
Send a message via AIM to Ken
I have been running ~3600w rms (give or take 200w depending on what setup I had in there) in my 3g for over 2 years, nothing broken. Proper sound deadening should take care of any rattles you may have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsuClipse View Post
I've been running my 4800W system in my 3g for about a year now, and there doesn't seem to be any abnormal wear and tear on the vehicle itself other than a couple new rattles in the interior panels; which is fixed with sound mat and new clips. Definitely upgrade the battery and main power though.

GL
Off topic but I would like to see your setup. What equipment are you running? Ever go to any USACi events?
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/09/2009, 02:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Tetris Champion! Hexxagon Champion!
Vehicle: 10 Jaguar XF-R
aaronsspyder is well-liked by manyaaronsspyder is well-liked by manyaaronsspyder is well-liked by manyaaronsspyder is well-liked by manyaaronsspyder is well-liked by manyaaronsspyder is well-liked by manyaaronsspyder is well-liked by manyaaronsspyder is well-liked by manyaaronsspyder is well-liked by manyaaronsspyder is well-liked by manyaaronsspyder is well-liked by many
Side note, but why is this in the lounge??
aaronsspyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/09/2009, 02:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Hammer Time!

jaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club exists
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
I have been running ~3600w rms (give or take 200w depending on what setup I had in there) in my 3g for over 2 years, nothing broken. Proper sound deadening should take care of any rattles you may have.

Off topic but I would like to see your setup. What equipment are you running? Ever go to any USACi events?
Hey Ken, you still owe me some pics
Old 11/09/2009, 04:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Titanium Spork

Vehicle: 2001 spyder gs
scarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipse3GS View Post
all he needs are those...

BTW, he is doing it wrong
no, that is a chin protector.
scarr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/09/2009, 04:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ken
Shocker Lite

Ken is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by many
Quote:
Hey Ken, you still owe me some pics

Pics of what? Must have slipped my mind, sorry!

I have been working like crazy trying to get this house ready to sell. I already have a buyer lined up, so I'm hurrying to get it done asap and lots of little stuff has been getting pushed to the side.
Old 11/09/2009, 06:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Exacerbated Member

Vehicle: 2kFsGt5sp/TbPP
WorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wide
Your rear view mirror will become limp and disorientated.
WorldWind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/09/2009, 06:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Redneck Yankee Mod..

Vehicle: 05 Eclipse Remix Edition
Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.
<---- 1600W and no problems.

If life is a highway, mine is missing some signs.

One of the best 3G answers ever.
Chad is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/09/2009, 06:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
BMSMA

Vehicle: IS250
Phinhead54 is one of the reasons this club existsPhinhead54 is one of the reasons this club existsPhinhead54 is one of the reasons this club existsPhinhead54 is one of the reasons this club existsPhinhead54 is one of the reasons this club existsPhinhead54 is one of the reasons this club existsPhinhead54 is one of the reasons this club existsPhinhead54 is one of the reasons this club existsPhinhead54 is one of the reasons this club existsPhinhead54 is one of the reasons this club existsPhinhead54 is one of the reasons this club exists
Moving to audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldWind
Yes beer is an acquired taste… like brandy, cigars, fast cars, big tits, and football. We acquired it in the womb when we got our balls.
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-
O RLY?
Phinhead54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/09/2009, 07:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
am cat

Vehicle: 2007 Camaro
Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldWind View Post
Your rear view mirror will become limp and disorientated.
that just tickled my funny bone.
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/10/2009, 08:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
"S" Car...Gooooooo

SvenHoek is well-liked by manySvenHoek is well-liked by manySvenHoek is well-liked by manySvenHoek is well-liked by manySvenHoek is well-liked by manySvenHoek is well-liked by manySvenHoek is well-liked by manySvenHoek is well-liked by manySvenHoek is well-liked by manySvenHoek is well-liked by manySvenHoek is well-liked by many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post

Definitely not hijacking the thread or anything, but in response to this query; two 10" pioneer premier championship pro subs, premier 6x9 in the rear, 6 3/4 components in the front, 4 premier class d amps (2 sub, 1 front 1 rear), an Audio Control epicenter, and and Audio Control DQXS with DDC. It's still a work in progress though. Sounds good, but the presentation isn't quite where I want it yet. Haven't been to any events yet. There aren't many up my way, and I'm too busy working to travel far right now.
Old 11/10/2009, 09:25 AM   #19 (permalink)
Hammer Time!

Sorry for the threadjack, but it appears OP isn't interested in the responses.

Ken and Mitsuclipse: Got pics of your installs? Interested in seeing how you've got thing set up. Ken, you mentioned that you were going to email them to me, but I do realise you're hella busy.
Old 11/10/2009, 12:39 PM   #20 (permalink)
Sehnsucht

8 Ball Champion Champion!
Vehicle: 2013 370Z
Zrocks04 - if you don't know me, you must be newZrocks04 - if you don't know me, you must be newZrocks04 - if you don't know me, you must be newZrocks04 - if you don't know me, you must be newZrocks04 - if you don't know me, you must be newZrocks04 - if you don't know me, you must be newZrocks04 - if you don't know me, you must be newZrocks04 - if you don't know me, you must be newZrocks04 - if you don't know me, you must be newZrocks04 - if you don't know me, you must be newZrocks04 - if you don't know me, you must be new
Send a message via AIM to Zrocks04
obviously the OP know nothing at all about cars
Hey what's up guys...quick question. I know its 2 quarts of oil for the rear diff when replacing fluid but thats conventional oil. Since I'm putting synthetic, it may require more. I couldnt find any info on this so I would like to know what the amount of quarts with synthetic would be for the rear diff. Thanks in advance.
Zrocks04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/10/2009, 12:59 PM   #21 (permalink)

2000RS-Turbo : who are you?2000RS-Turbo : who are you?2000RS-Turbo : who are you?2000RS-Turbo : who are you?
I cracked my dash with 2-1500w rms digital alpine amps powering two pioneer premier SPL 3000w subs. Also cracked my tail light and a couple bulbs, mirror fell off, killed three batterys then called it quites and sold the system.

Last edited by 2000RS-Turbo; 11/10/2009 at 01:04 PM.
2000RS-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/10/2009, 01:58 PM   #22 (permalink)
Smart Ass

Vehicle: 2013 Lancer ES 5sp
fliegendaffe should be considered a regularfliegendaffe should be considered a regularfliegendaffe should be considered a regularfliegendaffe should be considered a regularfliegendaffe should be considered a regularfliegendaffe should be considered a regularfliegendaffe should be considered a regularfliegendaffe should be considered a regularfliegendaffe should be considered a regularfliegendaffe should be considered a regularfliegendaffe should be considered a regular
i used to run about 1500 watts rms and the only thing i had was minor rattling if any at all and light shaking of my rear view mirror
Old 11/11/2009, 03:27 PM   #23 (permalink)
def jukie

Vehicle: '00 eclipse gs
5dollapizza : who are you?5dollapizza : who are you?5dollapizza : who are you?5dollapizza : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliegendaffe View Post
i used to run about 1500 watts rms and the only thing i had was minor rattling if any at all and light shaking of my rear view mirror
lite shaking of the rear view really?? at 400rms on my idq my mirror goes f'n nuts listening to dubstep or drum n bass. i really need to upgrade tho cause 400 just isn't enough for 200rms to each door lol
5dollapizza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/12/2009, 09:05 AM   #24 (permalink)
"S" Car...Gooooooo

Quote:

Ken and Mitsuclipse: Got pics of your installs? Interested in seeing how you've got thing set up. Ken, you mentioned that you were going to email them to me, but I do realise you're hella busy.
Sure, I'll try to post some in the next couple days. Keep in mind it's nowhere near finished yet though
Old 11/15/2009, 05:40 PM   #25 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 GT semi auto
Geordo : who are you?
just wondering who has upgraded their alternators and maybe what they've gone with, using a quick power formula, our 85A alternator can only push 1226watts max (85A*14.4V) and well, that doesn't take into account what the engine requires, vehicles electronics head unit, etc..
point being, any of these 1000w + systems... where did you find your uber alternators?
Geordo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/15/2009, 05:45 PM   #26 (permalink)
Smart Ass

Vehicle: 2013 Lancer ES 5sp
fliegendaffe should be considered a regularfliegendaffe should be considered a regularfliegendaffe should be considered a regularfliegendaffe should be considered a regularfliegendaffe should be considered a regularfliegendaffe should be considered a regularfliegendaffe should be considered a regularfliegendaffe should be considered a regularfliegendaffe should be considered a regularfliegendaffe should be considered a regularfliegendaffe should be considered a regular
the chryslers have i think a 95A alt
Old 11/16/2009, 10:31 AM   #27 (permalink)
"S" Car...Gooooooo

Quote:

Check them out here

http://www.club3g.com/forum/members-...ses-03-gt.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordo View Post
just wondering who has upgraded their alternators and maybe what they've gone with, using a quick power formula, our 85A alternator can only push 1226watts max (85A*14.4V) and well, that doesn't take into account what the engine requires, vehicles electronics head unit, etc..
point being, any of these 1000w + systems... where did you find your uber alternators?
I have tested the alternator in my car to 120A, so maybe mine was already upgraded. That being said though, if you don't want to try to find a different alternator to stuff into your car, you can get most "re-wound" at a place that overhauls alternators. I got my puny 55A one in my truck done to 125A, for only $150CAD.

Your math above is quite sound (sorry). One must however consider the efficiency of the specific amp being used (class a/b, class D) and its "average current drawn". Defined by Pioneer as:

• The average current drawn is nearly the maximum current drawn by this unit when an audio signal is input. Use this value when working out total current drawn by multiple power amplifiers,

instead of the maximum calculated amps using ohms law. As an example, using ohm's law, each of my amps would require 83.3A for a total of 333A , but using their "average" found in the manuals of only 28A each, there is a effective draw of only 112A.

Plus a HUGE A$$ capacitor always helps!
Old 11/16/2009, 11:43 AM   #28 (permalink)
Hammer Time!

Quote:
...until you run out of charge in the cap. Then you're right back where you started from. Caps give you a false sense of security, and are not worth the trouble.
Old 11/16/2009, 07:30 PM   #29 (permalink)
Ken
Shocker Lite

Quote:

Suggested Reading -> All about capacitors

Long story short, capacitors = waste of cash. Take the money that you would have spent on a capacitor and put it toward a second battery, preferribly something geared toward car audio like Kinetik, Powermaster, or Batcap batteries.
Old 11/16/2009, 07:39 PM   #30 (permalink)
Ken
Shocker Lite

Quote:

Mine is from Mechman, which IMO is the best out there. Two other companies off the top of my head are Excessive Amperage and Iraggi.

2 years ago I bought an EA, it burnt out in 3 months, EA replaced it for free, then the replacement burnt out in under a month, EA replaced it again and then I sold it. I'm not saying that they're a bad brand or anything like that, I'm just stating my experience with them.
Old 11/16/2009, 08:41 PM   #31 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 GT semi auto
Geordo : who are you?
ken, how many amps are you running now, out of curiousity... i was thinking upgrading maybe to ~250A... i've got a touchscreen nav and a kicker zx1500.1 pushing two re audio sx12 (under rated at 1000rms each) and well.. i wanna leave room for expansion (better components, maybe a bigger amp) and i recon the HIDs pull more amperage than the factory headlights etc...
Geordo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/16/2009, 11:31 PM   #32 (permalink)
Ken
Shocker Lite

Quote:
ken, how many amps are you running now, out of curiousity... i was thinking upgrading maybe to ~250A... i've got a touchscreen nav and a kicker zx1500.1 pushing two re audio sx12 (under rated at 1000rms each) and well.. i wanna leave room for expansion (better components, maybe a bigger amp) and i recon the HIDs pull more amperage than the factory headlights etc...

I'm running two Sundown saz-1500d's and a Sundown saz-100.4 which comes out to roughly 3600w rms.

I recommend following this upgrade path:

1.) Upgrade big 3 & underhood battery
2.) Big Rear Battery (Kinetik HC2400 or equivalent)
3.) Alternator Upgrade

Keep an eye on your voltage once you have a rear battery installed. If it doesn't drop below ~13.7 on a long hard hit then you're fine. If it does, add additional batteries & an upgraded alternator..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Non-Performance Car Forums > Car Audio and Electronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.