Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

Jaloosk's Build Log

16K views 102 replies 19 participants last post by  Ken 
#1 · (Edited)
OK So I got this Spyder. Super happy with it. Love the way it drives, the 30mpg, and can't wait to get the titties out when the weather warms up. :yesway:

I've been a car audio hobbyist for the better part of my life, and because of that my first major project is completely replacing the sound system in the Spyder.

My goals are simple:

Loud & Clear.

Basically, I want to enter it into some SQ shows, yet at the same time have enough headroom to be able to listen at healthy volumes on the highway with the top down. It's not going to be a flashy install; I want it to be stealth for the most part. Oh, and I want to get a set of golf clubs in the trunk when it's all said and done too.

Now because of my family responsibilities, I'm on somewhat of a tight budget, so most of the gear I'm using has been "repurposed". (read: used) Because of that, some of the pieces aren't exactly pretty, but their sonic character has not been compromised, so I'll just need some lipstick & mascara to pretty it up. So to that end, let me introduce you to the equipment that's being installed:

Amplifiers:

Soundstream LW5.830, a 5-channel amplifier, which will be bridged; sending 280w RMS to the front two channels, and 270w to a sub channel. The sub channel will not be used. This amplifier will be powering the front speakers; two ID Horns, and two CDT 6.5" midbass drivers.

Sub Amp:

Phoenix Gold Xenon 1200.1; 1200w RMS into 1 4-ohm channel. This amp has a lot of cosmetic "inconsistencies", however works just fine. I will be mounting this in the trunk floor, without the housing, to show off the internals. Sorry for the crappy pic, the battery in my camera was dying.

Front Horns, and Front mid-bass drivers:

The front stage consists of Image Dynamics CD-1E horns, that will mount under the dash:

...and CDT midbass drivers, model ES-06:

The sub is on order, and is an SSA Icon 10" with dual-2-ohm voicecoils. It's in transit right now, and I hope to receive it Monday. I'll take a picture of it when it arrives.

Also got some wiring to hook everything up:

...and a Big-3 kit from Ken:

My camera battery died after I installed the Big-3 kit, so I don't have a pic of that right now. I'll get one later when I install the new amp wiring.

So, the first thing I did was install the midbass drivers, since it's basically a drop-in. I peeled the panel off the driver door (piece of cake), and replaced the speaker. I was pleasantly surprised to find the previous owner had installed an Infinity Reference component set, but this is outta here anyway. I replaced the speaker wire he used with some nice 12ga, zip-tied it inside the door and mounted the speaker.

Here's the new driver in its new home:

I moved on to the next door, to find this:

:facepalm: Nothing like using duct tape to install a crossover. :noplease:

Anyway, I yanked the speaker, installed new 12ga speaker wire, and secured the new driver. It looks the same as the other side. I secured the crossover with double-sided adhesive foam.

Here's a comparison shot of the new CDT driver next to the 'old' Infinity Reference driver:

Thank you Mitsubishi for the really deep doors! :D

Next steps: When my Second Skin Damplifier Pro gets here, I'll be beefing up the stock speaker door mount, deadening the outer skin and sealing the inner skin. This will do for now. :yesway: The trunk is missing the spare tire cover, so I'll have to create a new floor for that. Once the sub gets here, I'll be designing the enclosure, and hopefully getting that installed within the next month or so. My goal is to have the system ready for an SQ competition on June 27th.

Progress will be in spurts; I don't have the time to work on it on a daily basis, so please be patient. :) Even with just the CDT's in there, the system sounds SOOO much better. Much more clarity and detail, and they're just running off of the Pioneer head unit I've got in there...(no pic, forgot :D will get it later)

Funny thing is, the system's not even installed yet, and I'm already considering some changes. I might replace the SoundStream with a JL amp, if I can find one in my price range, and the patch cables (which were free) will be replaced with twisted-pair to cut down on potential noise induction. Also considering picking up an old-skool PPI 30-band EQ, and possibly replacing the head unit with something more flexible.

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow I bet those CDTs made a big change from the infinity. Nice pictures of the process.

#3 ·
#5 ·
Looks like a great build going on. I've been working on mine lately as well. I've got Infinity reference all the way around and wired to two amps in the back.

How was running new speaker wire through the door grommet? The first time I installed mine I had 8 14 guage wires braided together and all 8 had to fit through each grommet in the door... it SUCKED! I've just got regular 10ga now which was way easier to install.

#6 ·
I just used the ghetto wire from the previous owner for now...I replaced the wire from the XO to the midbass. The rest of the wiring will be replaced when I get my amplifiers installed. The previous owner didn't use the boot...he just ran it through the door jamb straight to the head unit. :facepalm:

#7 ·
^^ Better than what the previous owner did on mine. He went through the front of the door panel than ran it across the drivers seat, well he attempted to tuck it under the slider brackets, and than up into the radio bezel. Every time you opened the door a big wade of speaker wire would hit the ground. :noplease:

#9 ·
Oh yes! :lol:

He was also the one that decided the blitz front bumper looked sweet and that painting the interior with purple accents was a good idea. :lmfao:

#11 ·
Got a great deal on it. Bumper was $30 for an OEM. Repainted the interior a nice gloss black. Sold most of the parts on the car that I didn't want/use for 3/4 of what I paid for the car and now I'm doing a 74 swap. Did I mention the guy didn't like to change his oil? :lol: First oil change came out like road tar... it hadn't been changed in a very very long time. He said he didn't have a low profile jack for it (lowered on tien ss coilovers). :facepalm:

Drove it home without any clutch fluid, 1 quart of oil in it, and low on coolant. 280 miles later I was home and managed to pull 40 (and I mean 40) MPG out of it.

But back on topic since this is your thread not mine, do you have any db goals?

#12 ·
Well, sounds like it worked out in the end.

It's a Spyder, so SPL isn't really going to measure high, even though I'm using an optimal-size ported box around 30hz, and 1200w RMS to the sub...I really don't know what to expect. As quoted from some random sig on DIYMobileAudio:

"I want a system so revealing I can tell what kind of toothpaste Norah Jones uses."

I don't listen to Norah Jones, but I want it to sound like Jill Scott and John Legend are in concert on my hood. Whether the top is up or down. :yesway:

#15 ·
looks to be a great install man. as for your RCA cables, im running a twisted set made by Streetwires and they have great sound quality. very happy with them. also, as for you looking into a different amp, have you considered kicker or maybe JBL? i've had very good luck with both of those and you can get a refurbished one for a great price. just thought id throw my 2 cents in. good luck on the install

#16 ·
Hey buddy, nice build log so far! I'm loving your choice in equipment. I'm really interested to see how you're going to mount the horns. I just have one suggestion though - ditch the stock speaker mounting bracket! They really take away from the speaker's output. I noticed a huge improvement by mounting my speakers to mdf baffles, then mounting the baffles to the car itself. You will also notice a nice difference when you seal the doors up with sound deadener (although for me the baffles made more of an initial difference).

#18 ·
For real? It was in my original plan, but when I pulled the door panel and saw how the stock mount was angled, I thought I would just reinforce it with glas, clay or SPL tiles...now I'm not so sure. I had to put a hold on my damplifier purchase though, due to some unforeseen emergency expenses. (had to drop $1100 on new tires for my van :() Evidently, the moron who owned the van before me put PASSENGER tires on an 8000+lb vehicle. When I towed the Spyder home, the extra weight caused some belts to slip on the two front tires, according to my mechanic. Now I've got some nice Michelin LT245/75-R16's on there, but my damplifier has to wait. Family Safety > Toys

Nice build dude and nice equipment. I bet it will sound good when all finished.
Thanks Raz :yesway: I hope so!

#20 ·
I think I may have something to the sort of the "baffles" Ken's talking about I'd be willing to sell you. They mount to the door panels like speaker pods. I'll get some good quality pics of them on the car and I'll send them to you.

#21 ·
the best bit of equipment you have there is the soundstream amp HANDS DOWN. that thing is very sexy. you should do a lil door modding and mount a pair of those 6.5s in a each door =). and the horns are defiantly going to be a good edition. verrrrry high efficient.

hope this build goes well.

#23 · (Edited)
:scratch: The 6.5's are already in the door...the SoundStream amp is on the lower end of what SoundStream makes. I wanted to go with a Reference amp, but just couldn't afford it. Maybe later, maybe I'll go with a JL. For now, though, it's staying like this.

In other news, I just picked up 2 pair of Rockford twisted pair RCA's for $35 off of another site...hoping to take delivery on them tomorrow. :yesway:

#25 ·
lol I'm not looking to get that loud! I'm thinking I'd be lucky to see high 120's with the soft top. On the other side of the coin, I'm working with a tight budget, and the CDT's I got for an absolute steal.

Do you have a members ride with pics of your install, or a build thread somewhere?

#26 ·
i just posted a thread with my new USACi SB2 install for this year. also just a lil bit of info. I am actually the first person to Purchase the Icon 15. purchased it within the first 5-10 minutes the first day they were released. lol. just a lil food for thought. i really liked the woofer as well.

#27 ·
Nice...saw your thread already.

I'm anxiously waiting for my Icon...I checked the tracking number just now, and it's due for delivery on Wednesday...(stupid customs) Can't wait! :ndance: I hear nothing but fantastic things about the Icon subs.

#31 ·
#32 ·
Finally got those pics, new camera. :yesway: Complicated features. :noway:

I couldn't find my mounting screws to put them on, but if you want I can go digging. It's MDF board (if I remember correctly) as the structure, shaped using fiberglass, smoothed with bondo, and then painted and glossed. I didn't like the purple theme going on in the car and just never got around to stripping these down and painting them.

Edit: Holy Huge pictures! I'll resize them and repost.

#35 ·
Pics resized.

#37 ·
^^ Jeez that's a big lip and magnet!

I had them mounted on the door panel, but making a bracket to mount it to the actual door wouldn't be very hard either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.