Custom Bass Knob - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Non-Performance Car Forums > Car Audio and Electronics
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02/15/2013, 02:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: '00 Eclipse GT
volcomature23 : who are you?
Send a message via Skype™ to volcomature23
Custom Bass Knob

Hey guys So I have two 12'' RF's In my trunk, and I wanted to get a bass knob. Yea I know sounds simple enough, but I was thinking about installing it in my cigarette lighter hole (it broke a year or two ago.) Anyone know where I could begin to look for an audio volume knob that could work with this project?

Thanks guys!
Advertisement

Old 02/15/2013, 02:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT
Mr6G72 : who are you?
Re: Custom Bass Knob

Why would you want to do that??

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Mr6G72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/15/2013, 04:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Boom

Pacman Champion! Puzzle Bobble Champion!
Vehicle: 09 Camry SE
djonts is God.djonts is God.djonts is God.djonts is God.djonts is God.djonts is God.djonts is God.djonts is God.djonts is God.djonts is God.djonts is God.
What do you plan on hooking the bass knob to in order for it to function?
djonts is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/15/2013, 10:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ken
Shocker Lite

Vehicle: RX350
Ken is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by many
Send a message via AIM to Ken
This is a terrible idea. Aside from being a ricer mod, you're practically begging your passengers to fuck with it by mounting it there.

A "bass knob" is nothing more than a remote gain for your amplifier. Meaning that if you bothered to set it up properly, the second you touch that knob it's no longer good. Your head unit likely has a "subwoofer level" setting - use that instead and leave the adjustments on the amp alone.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/15/2013, 11:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

The reason I wanted a knob is because I listen to both hip hop and rock, and with hip hop it sounds good; but with rock it doesn't sound good. I don't necessarily like the idea of stopping on the HW and opening my hatch to change the gain when I switch genres.
Old 02/15/2013, 12:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 Eclipse GT
NateDawg : who are you?NateDawg : who are you?NateDawg : who are you?NateDawg : who are you?NateDawg : who are you?

I have a bass knob that runs in line with the rca cables going from the headunit to the amp. Its basically controlling the output of the headunit and you are still able to keep amp settings the same.

Sent from my MB865 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
NateDawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/15/2013, 12:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ken
Shocker Lite

Ken is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by manyKen is well-liked by many
Nate. You're missing the point. You are still remotely manipulating the gain by raising or lowering the rca voltage with your external gain knob.

Let me put this in a really really easy to understand math problem for you.

RCA intput voltage x amplifier gain = output

Change the input voltage, and your output power increases exponentially.
Old 02/15/2013, 06:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
lit up

Vehicle: '02 mountain bike
soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.
f it. because all you people still use hu's, you can use something like this..

Axxess AALC Universal RCA Level Bass/Gain Controller

ken has a point, but i understand why you'd prefer a knob instead of accessing a settings menu..

that's the whole reason i've got 4 cl-rlc preamps in my car(3 for volume--full active setup, 1 for sub level)

because some days i want to shake the neighborhood, and other days, i want it to blend..
soundman98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/15/2013, 07:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

SunDevil5 : who are you?
I set my gain with the remote on MAX so when i turn it down it wont harm it cuz i'm 'lowering' the gain and it wont distort it...correct?
My remote came with the Amp and i have it hidden under the steering column but its easily accessible
SunDevil5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/15/2013, 07:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
am cat

Vehicle: 2007 Camaro
Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
I get what Ken is saying, but I think he's thinking a little backwards.

Remote gain can only change the level going to the amp, the amp has a gain which changes the level out to the speakers (more or less). If you dial down the input then the out put lowers, but you can't turn the input higher than the output.

Say he's working with 5v, the knob could dial it between 0 and 5 which would swing the output from it's highest setting to 0 but could never go past the highest output you've set. So you set the amp gain with the knob at max so you can only turn it down. It makes sense to me.
2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/15/2013, 07:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Exacerbated Member

Vehicle: 2kFsGt5sp/TbPP
WorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wide
You are a bass nob
WorldWind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/15/2013, 08:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 Eclipse GT
NateDawg : who are you?NateDawg : who are you?NateDawg : who are you?NateDawg : who are you?NateDawg : who are you?

Bitter has got how mine works. Its exactly what soundman posted a link for.

Sent from my MB865 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
NateDawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/15/2013, 08:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
am cat

Vehicle: 2007 Camaro
Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
It's how the remote gain control on the Basslink works as well.
2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/15/2013, 08:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Pee in the sink

Vehicle: 2005 Black GTS
stylez is recognized club-widestylez is recognized club-widestylez is recognized club-widestylez is recognized club-widestylez is recognized club-widestylez is recognized club-widestylez is recognized club-widestylez is recognized club-widestylez is recognized club-widestylez is recognized club-widestylez is recognized club-wide
My Kenwood amp actually came with a remote gain switch. I mounted it in the center console:

Honestly I never touch it. And actually I get more irritated when it gets adjusted by things going in and out of the storage space and I end up having to set it back to where it was.
Old 02/15/2013, 09:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ken
Shocker Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter View Post
So you set the amp gain with the knob at max so you can only turn it down. It makes sense to me.

That would work, but it still seems redundant. Set it & forget it.
Old 02/15/2013, 09:10 PM   #16 (permalink)

Vehicle: 02 Eclipse GS
Menace seems to be well-liked by allMenace seems to be well-liked by allMenace seems to be well-liked by allMenace seems to be well-liked by allMenace seems to be well-liked by allMenace seems to be well-liked by allMenace seems to be well-liked by allMenace seems to be well-liked by allMenace seems to be well-liked by allMenace seems to be well-liked by allMenace seems to be well-liked by all
LMAO just had a RONCO infomercial flashback
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/15/2013, 09:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
lit up

Vehicle: '02 mountain bike
soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Set it & forget it.
i'm just not that kind of guy..

back when i had a hu, i spent so much time getting into the menu system to tweak the sub level, i could do it without looking at the screen..

i like a blended system on smoother things like country or alternative, but with rap and dance/trance, i just want bass...
soundman98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/15/2013, 10:04 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
i'm just not that kind of guy..

back when i had a hu, i spent so much time getting into the menu system to tweak the sub level, i could do it without looking at the screen..

i like a blended system on smoother things like country or alternative, but with rap and dance/trance, i just want bass...
Exactly what I'm talking about. I have subs but I listen to other things than rap/dubstep. I just think it would be nice to change bass levels at the turn of a knob... Not a touch here, and touch there, and a touch here, IMO.
Old 02/16/2013, 05:31 PM   #19 (permalink)

Vr4gasm : who are you?Vr4gasm : who are you?
google kicker bass knob they make one
1991 3000gt Vr4 too many mods
Vr4gasm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/18/2013, 10:36 AM   #20 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2003 Jetta GLS
anonymous6366 : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by volcomature23 View Post
The reason I wanted a knob is because I listen to both hip hop and rock, and with hip hop it sounds good; but with rock it doesn't sound good. I don't necessarily like the idea of stopping on the HW and opening my hatch to change the gain when I switch genres.
I know the feeling exactly and I have considered getting an in-line rca for the same reason. I think the in-line rca ones are supposed to be safer since you are changing the input level vs. gain.
like this thing, simple, cheap and does what you want:
EFX RLC Universal Bass Remote Level Control Knob
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Non-Performance Car Forums > Car Audio and Electronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.