If you have installed urethane motor mounts - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Eclipse Performance
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02/20/2010, 04:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Exacerbated Member

Vehicle: 2kFsGt5sp/TbPP
WorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wide
If you have installed urethane motor mounts

I am in the process of compiling data on Eclipse motor mounts.

Of those of you that have replaced your motor mounts how many of you found that the rear mount was still ok after taking it out, and how many thought the mount looked ok when looking at it while taking it out but then found that it really wasn’t when you got it all the way out and inspected it up close.

How many of you are running only one, two or three Prothane mounts and one or more stock mounts. Which ones, and what are your experiences with mixed mounts. Include the presence of a Stiffy torque damper also if you are using one.

I am looking into the possibility that there is a mixed configuration of Prothane and stock mounts that is the best of both worlds (minimum vibration and minimum wheel-hop.)
WorldWind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02/20/2010, 04:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Shut up.

Vehicle: 2007 Infiniti G35X
wright06jhs has a few friends herewright06jhs has a few friends herewright06jhs has a few friends herewright06jhs has a few friends herewright06jhs has a few friends herewright06jhs has a few friends herewright06jhs has a few friends herewright06jhs has a few friends herewright06jhs has a few friends here
Send a message via MSN to wright06jhs
I have all 4 poly mounts in my Stratus and still have wheel-hop to an extent (torque damper may help). So to a degree i don't think your going to get completely rid of that.

Then again it could be my tires?

But as far as the mixed mounts i have no idea. Good luck.

My Ride

G35Driver
wright06jhs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/20/2010, 12:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
GT

Vehicle: 2001 6g74 Eclipse GT
SpeedDemon350 : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to SpeedDemon350
To be honest, I haven't experienced any vibration in my car, and I have all four mounts in. At first, I only installed the front and rear mount. With only the two in, it reduced the wheel hop a little, but the car was still shaky in first (by shaky I don't mean vibration, but the engine is hopping around in the engine bay). Once I replaced the remaining two mounts, my engine felt pretty solid. I would definitely recommend doing all four. During idle, I experience little to no vibration, practically unnoticeable. The difference in wheel hop/solidity of the engine is far greater than the slightest of vibrations, which is again unnoticeable.
SpeedDemon350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/21/2010, 01:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

zacsa : who are you?
i replaced all 4 of my mounts with prothane ones. the only bad one i had when replacing them was the passenger side mount. other then that they all looked great. also i have no vibration realy and my wheel hop reduced alot, to almost none.
zacsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/21/2010, 02:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Steveodotcom1 : who are you?Steveodotcom1 : who are you?
I replaced just one after the OEM one was broken. One doesn't make much difference, but it's a hell of a better than buying the OEM replacement.
Steveodotcom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/21/2010, 02:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
am cat

Vehicle: 2007 Camaro
Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
i've seen and other have had the rear mount aluminum casing broken, cracked, or damaged beyond use. might want to add that!
2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/21/2010, 02:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter View Post
i've seen and other have had the rear mount aluminum casing broken, cracked, or damaged beyond use. might want to add that!
Such as this:

This is what a broken mount looks like.
Old 02/21/2010, 02:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
am cat

Vehicle: 2007 Camaro
Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
yea, like that.
2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/21/2010, 04:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
MIVEC?

Vehicle: 02 GT 3.8 L 6g75M Powered
silverside seems to be okaysilverside seems to be okaysilverside seems to be okaysilverside seems to be okaysilverside seems to be okaysilverside seems to be okay
Send a message via AIM to silverside
I have a torque dampener and prothane in the two torque positions and custom solid urethane mounts in the front and rear positions and my engine still shakes like crazy. much less than it used to though.

I had the torque dampener on my old engine with the stock mounts and it almost eliminated the mad wheel hop.

My Sale Thread http://www.club3g.com/forum/automoti...-gt-parts.html
My Build Thread http://www.club3g.com/forum/members-...ml#post2671626
silverside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/21/2010, 05:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
*Photoshop Bitch*

Vehicle: 2000 GT
MCMike37 has disabled reputation
I put on front and rear mounts when I put on the Ingall's stiffy. My stock front and rear mounts were perfectly fine with somewhere in the 150k miles range on the car.
MCMike37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/21/2010, 06:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Exacerbated Member

Vehicle: 2kFsGt5sp/TbPP
WorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wide
This is just the kind of input I’m looking for. Any and all relevant info is appreciated.

And those pictures of Jon’s illustrate the reason for me asking for specific info about the rear mount. The stock motor mount design with the pressed in steel sleeve significantly increases the break out strength of the casting buy itself. But I need more data to even begin to make the recommendation that I have been concidering.

Steveo;
Which mount did you replace, and did you notice any difference in ride after?

Silverside;
I am understanding, Left and right mounts are now Prothane’s and front and back are another brand of urethane mount without the six hole pattern that the Prothane front and back mounts have. Is that right? Also which stock mounts were bad when you replaced your mounts?

Mike;
Do you notice any difference in ride with two stock side mounts and two Prothane front and rear mounts.
WorldWind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/21/2010, 08:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
MIVEC?

Vehicle: 02 GT 3.8 L 6g75M Powered
silverside seems to be okaysilverside seems to be okaysilverside seems to be okaysilverside seems to be okaysilverside seems to be okaysilverside seems to be okay
Send a message via AIM to silverside
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldWind View Post
Silverside;
I am understanding, Left and right mounts are now Prothane’s and front and back are another brand of urethane mount without the six hole pattern that the Prothane front and back mounts have. Is that right? Also which stock mounts were bad when you replaced your mounts?
Correct on the left and right. wrong on the front and back. they are a custom job, solid urethane no holes, same hard stuff the energy suspension kits use. the prothanes that i had in there were too flexible so i got something stiffer.

i replaced the pass side mount then bought the ingals. after like 6 months i noticed that the front and driver side mounts were toast but that could have been due to the ingals. car had about 120k at the time on all original mounts.

My Sale Thread http://www.club3g.com/forum/automoti...-gt-parts.html
My Build Thread http://www.club3g.com/forum/members-...ml#post2671626
silverside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/21/2010, 08:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Steveo;
Which mount did you replace, and did you notice any difference in ride after?
Passenger's front; a little more rattling at idle, but not much after just one mount.
Old 02/21/2010, 10:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Slow and Steady

Vehicle: 2002 Stratus R/T
02stratus : who are you?
Replaced all four with Prothane's. No vibrations after or since they were installed. The stock passenger mount was making a strange creaking sound; That was the reason I bought them. Rear mount wasn't in great shape, but it caused no problems. I don't get any wheel-hop, but something is wrong with my trans. Sometimes, starting from first when casually driving, the car shakes. It sounds like wheel-hop, but isn't. The only thing I can make an analogy to is if you have the car on jack-stands and in gear, then rotate a wheel front to back. That's what it sounds like.
Hope that all made sense.

- Daryl
02stratus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/22/2010, 07:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Spring King

Vehicle: '11 135i, '98 Ranger 4x4
tracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by manytracer bullet is well-liked by many
I replaced my front mount long ago (maybe 2002 or 2003?) when Deyeme started making them for us. No reason other than it sounded like an interesting, cheap mod. I found some, but little, difference over stock, mostly in vibration in the shifter. Slight improvement over stock for "snappiness" of the throttle. Stock mount was in fine condition, but at a few years old it should have been. Over the next ~ 1 year the Deyeme fell apart and was replaced for free. I ran this way for many years, the new one holding up.

Last summer (I believe, possibly 2 summers ago) I went with the prothanes, making small mods to the car mostly to help keep it interesting (I've had it since new in 2001 and was trying to curb the desire to get rid of it out of boredom). I replaced only the front & rears at the time, for several reasons: 1) Figured the front & rears took the brunt of the load, 2) They were easy to replace, 3) Being concerned about the Deyeme in place in front, and 4) The sides visually looked to be in good shape.

I did install the front & rear prothanes, and felt another incremental difference, both in snappiness and in vibration. The OE rear was fine, the Deyeme front was fine as well. Drilled both out and pressed the prothanes in place. I sold the side mounts here.

Later that summer I bought the Ingalls stiffener. HUGE difference. The motor mounts were incremental changes, the Ingalls was night & day. It's adjustable of course, but even on the recommended setting it's easily noticeable. Throttle is incredibly snappy - with the car in gear (5 speed), you can just tap the throttle with your foot and really lurch the car forward. On the downside you have much more vibration transferred into the car, as well as noise. I can live with the vibration, but the noise is bothersome when the car is cold. Once it's warm it's not as noticeable but it's annoying when it's cold.

What little I know about you over the years here, I would venture a guess that you'd like the prothanes but not the Ingalls. The Ingalls does it's job and is fun but it's not very necessary and it's got definite trade-offs.
tracer bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/22/2010, 07:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
*Photoshop Bitch*

Vehicle: 2000 GT
MCMike37 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Mike;
Do you notice any difference in ride with two stock side mounts and two Prothane front and rear mounts.
Kind of hard to answer as I put the torque dampener on at the same time. Through both I had much less wheel hop and shudder. Noticeably more engine vibration though. I can't quantify how much came from each individual modification though, sorry.
MCMike37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Eclipse Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.