3.8 mivec heads - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Eclipse Performance

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05/14/2017, 11:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: 00 Sebring
Indy3.5 : who are you?
3.8 mivec heads

I finally started working on my mivec heads. I have an 09 engine. This has the single mivec solenoid where the distributor goes. The cross over tube goes to the back of the front head. I picked up another solenoid that mounts in the front head near the cam sprocket. The oil holes are not drilled. I thought I would just drill these and plug the oil holes on the back side. After looking at it, one of the holes is drilled at a slight angle. This looks like something I could mess up. I was wondering if anyone has drilled these holes? How deep did you drill? These heads are in really good condition and I would like to use them. I was also wondering if these heads can be swapped- put the rear head on the front. My heads are really clean low mile heads.
Indy3.5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05/14/2017, 07:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 eclipse gt
6g75_3g : who are you?
Ok wait what?

What are you trying to do? Mivec swap?

If so u have the wrong yeat motor.

And no the heads can not be swapped front to back
6g75_3g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/14/2017, 07:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

I can see that it would be easier to use an earlier engine with the dual soleniods. Is there some other differences in the engines? Everything looks the same to me. The piece that goes on the front head in place of the solenoid looks a lot like a solenoid housing with no fittings. It even uses the same strange gasket. I can see exactly where the oil holes should go. If I wasn't able to successfully drill the holes I was going to replace just the front head.

Old 05/14/2017, 08:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

You need the front SOL...if u remove the rear SOL to place a distributor then u will not have a sol to actvate mivec...just get early model heads...
Old 05/18/2017, 06:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

I figured out how to fix the front 09 head so the mivec solenoid can function. I just had to drill a couple of holes about 3/4". I have to get a plug for the back of the head where the cross over tube goes. I also have to remember to spin the rocker shaft around and line it up with the new oil hole that I drilled. I did find out that the heads can be swapped-the cam seal and expansion plug just have to be moved.
Old 05/19/2017, 11:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Just sounds like alot of unneeded stuff when u could just as easily bought a 06-07 motor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Eclipse Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in

Random Question

« Synchro help | - »