HOW TO: Aim Sonar Projector Headlights - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Eclipse Garage > Maintenance
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01/12/2009, 12:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Engineer/Firefighter

Vehicle: '03 Spyder GTS
SpyderMan03 seems to be okaySpyderMan03 seems to be okaySpyderMan03 seems to be okaySpyderMan03 seems to be okaySpyderMan03 seems to be okaySpyderMan03 seems to be okaySpyderMan03 seems to be okay
HOW TO: Aim Sonar Projector Headlights

First off, let me say that I "borrowed" the following guide from a thread on CLUBRSX.COM.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There may be a thread on this already but I figured I would make a thread that was easy to find if you did a search. Please feel free to contribute if you think I may have left anything out....or if you would do something differently.

TO AIM PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS:

1. Align your car dead center in your driveway....the front and back of your car need to be perfectly aligned in the center..

2. Pull your car up to the garage door...as close as you can get w/o hitting the door..dead center in the middle of the garage door / driveway.

3. Put a piece of tape where the headlight beams hit the garage door. This should only be smal dot of light...

4. Pull you car back 25'. Your Projector lens should be 25' away from the garage door...not your tires or your bumper...your headlights. DEAD CENTER IN THE DRIVEWAY

5. With tape Place a VERTICAL line that intersects each piece of tape that you put on the garage where your headlight beams hit. Use a yardstick or a straight edge t make it perpendicular to the driveway. This is important for aiming your lights right to left....this is just as important as up and down because if your lights are aimed to far left you will still be shining omcoming traffic in the eyes and if they are aimed too far right your not getting the most out of your light.

6. With tape place a horizontal line along the garage that intersects each piece of tape that you put on the garage where your headlight beams hit. They should oth be the same height off the driveway.

7. With tape place a horizontal line along the garage that is 2.1" lower than the tape you placed on the garage in instruction #6. This line should be parallel with the line in #6...just 2.1" lower.

8. Cover up the passenger side headlight with a thick towel.

9. Turn on your lights

10. Drivers Side UP/Down: Bring the lower step of the cutoff to or below the tape line that is 2.1" lower than your headlights...Dot Spec is 2.1" to 2.5" drop over 25'

11. Drivers Side Right / Left: The Vertical line on the drivers side of the garage should intersect the middle of the slant on the cutoff. Move the beam pattern until this is the case.

Moving the projectors from right to left may effect the height of the beam pattern. If this is the case..just go back and fine tune.

12. Cover the Drivers side headlight with a thick towel.

13. Repeat the UP/Down Left/Right procedure that you did on the drivers side with the passenger side. The vertical line on the passenger side of the garage is to be used for instersecting the slant in the cutoff on the passenger side headlight beam.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for my pics:

Here's how to adjust the UP-Down Aiming on the Sonars.
Insert a phillips screw driver vertically into the slot on the back of the headlight housing.

This is how my headlights were setup out of the box.
You'll see my tape markings on the wall as described in the how-to above.
As you should plainly see...mine were a bit high!!

First I adjusted the drivers side down, then the passenger side.

If the Sonars have a left-right adjustment, I couldn't see it once installed and I forgot to look before I installed them.
(If there is a left-right adjustment post up and I'll add it to the how to)
To adjust mine out a bit, I loosted the installation bolts and pulled the lights to the outside while I tightened them with my other hand.

Here's the finished results.

Drive it like you stole it!
SpyderMan03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01/17/2009, 04:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
From the Internet

Vehicle: 2003 T19 Eclipse RS
Sh4d0wX7 has a few friends hereSh4d0wX7 has a few friends hereSh4d0wX7 has a few friends hereSh4d0wX7 has a few friends hereSh4d0wX7 has a few friends hereSh4d0wX7 has a few friends hereSh4d0wX7 has a few friends hereSh4d0wX7 has a few friends hereSh4d0wX7 has a few friends hereSh4d0wX7 has a few friends here
Send a message via AIM to Sh4d0wX7 Send a message via Skype™ to Sh4d0wX7
Very nice write-up. I too used the thread from clubRSX a while back to aim my Depos. I don't know if the Sonar's have a LR aim knob, but the Depos do. Their LR knob is where your UD knob is.

Last edited by Sh4d0wX7; 04/04/2009 at 05:01 PM.
Sh4d0wX7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/17/2010, 06:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
2000gs

Vehicle: 2000 eclipse gs
jpp4203 : who are you?
does the adjustable knob adjust the high or low beams or both?
jpp4203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/18/2010, 11:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Vehicle: black 2002 GS
zeroblue02 : who are you?zeroblue02 : who are you?zeroblue02 : who are you?
i took an old set apart and it looks like it adjusts both of them. someone correct me if im wrong though.
zeroblue02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/18/2010, 11:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Vehicle: 01 gt
eclipselover suckseclipselover sucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroblue02 View Post
i took an old set apart and it looks like it adjusts both of them. someone correct me if im wrong though.
it does both so the low beam will be pretty much useless. i have a set of sonars with the 6000K kit
eclipselover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/18/2010, 12:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
2000gs

Vehicle: 2000 eclipse gs
jpp4203 : who are you?
i put a set of sonars in with 6000kit and it looks like its pointed straight at the ground.. any pointers? ive tried adjusting it but its not helping
jpp4203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/22/2010, 09:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpp4203 View Post
i put a set of sonars in with 6000kit and it looks like its pointed straight at the ground.. any pointers? ive tried adjusting it but its not helping
make sure you are turning the knob the right way for up and down. it takes a while before you actually start seeing the lights move. the way mines work is that a just put my lights on bright which activates the hid kit and adjusted that down so that i didnt blind people anymore. your low beams will be useless but with the kit it is more than enough light.
p.s. how did you install your lights? did you drill through the cap of the bigger light socket to install?
Old 02/22/2010, 10:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipselover View Post
make sure you are turning the knob the right way for up and down. it takes a while before you actually start seeing the lights move. the way mines work is that a just put my lights on bright which activates the hid kit and adjusted that down so that i didnt blind people anymore. your low beams will be useless but with the kit it is more than enough light.
p.s. how did you install your lights? did you drill through the cap of the bigger light socket to install?
am i missing something here? why do you have your HID's in your high beams? are you positive you have sonar headlights because it sounds like you have anzos.
Old 02/24/2010, 02:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
am i missing something here? why do you have your HID's in your high beams? are you positive you have sonar headlights because it sounds like you have anzos.
they say sonar. maybe i put the bulbs in the wrong socket but probably not. if you want to see meet me around town somewhere.
Old 02/24/2010, 02:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Titanium Spork

Vehicle: 2001 spyder gs
scarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by all
Quote:
they say sonar. maybe i put the bulbs in the wrong socket but probably not. if you want to see meet me around town somewhere.
if your HID's are in your high beams, the you did it wrong.

you got questions? we got answers: http://tearstone.com/shop/Factory-Service-Manuals/
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00JStew3G View Post
If you want it done right, follow scarr's advice 100%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabob View Post
scarr's right
scarr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/24/2010, 02:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarr View Post
if your HID's are in your high beams, the you did it wrong.
which socket was i suppose to fit them in cause they look to long for the smaller light holes. and the halo is around the smaller light so thats why i put them in the bigger light socket. hope you catch what im saying
Old 02/24/2010, 03:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Titanium Spork

scarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by all
Quote:
which socket was i suppose to fit them in cause they look to long for the smaller light holes. and the halo is around the smaller light so thats why i put them in the bigger light socket. hope you catch what im saying
yep. i get what you are saying, and they go in the low beam. the low beam is the one with the halo. sometimes a little trimming is needed to fit the bulb in (the hole is kinda tight) if the bulb is too long... you might have the wrong bulb.

you always want your low beam to be as far apart as possible (i.e. the outside lenses). HID's should ever be used in projector lenses (yes you can buy them for ANY lens.. even stock reflectors, but in a reflector housing... like the high beam in a sonar.. they are just making blinding un-aimed light.) plus HID's in your high beams is dangerous. there is a warm up (of like a second) and when you try to flash to pass, they do not do it right at all. heck, i am a firm beleiver in modding your headlights (with relays) to keep the HID's on when the highs are on, so that when you switch back, they do not have to "warm up".

you got questions? we got answers: http://tearstone.com/shop/Factory-Service-Manuals/
Quote:
Quote:
scarr's right

Last edited by scarr; 02/24/2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02/25/2010, 11:19 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
heck, i am a firm beleiver in modding your headlights (with relays) to keep the HID's on when the highs are on, so that when you switch back, they do not have to "warm up".
care to point me in the right direction to doing this? this is one thing i need to do with traveling on texas back roads with only 2 lanes.
Old 02/25/2010, 11:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
Titanium Spork

Quote:
care to point me in the right direction to doing this? this is one thing i need to do with traveling on texas back roads with only 2 lanes.
well, to begin with, i cut off the plugs (one was melted.) so i took the low beam, and put that on a relay, then i took the highbeam and put it on a different relay. ok, now we have nice clean power to all 4 headlights. i then added a relay that when the high beams are on sends power to the lowbeam after the lowbeam's relay. nice thing about relays is that they are one way. i also have a 4.7uf capacitor on each of my HID ballasts, so the transition does not make them reset, during the switch from low to high. (but from high to low, it turns on the low before dropping the high, so there is no issue there.)

some will say it is overkill, some will say it is stupid... i personally like it. and with my dual halos the high beam has NO peripheral light, so it really helped when running along backroads in PA (deer are sneaky like ninja out here).

i would not recommend doing this without all 3 relays though, cause the draw MIGHT cause problems on the stock wiring (it is really small.)

Quote:
Quote:
scarr's right
Old 02/25/2010, 12:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Steel Blue

Vehicle: 2003 Eclipse RS
3G-XXX : who are you?
Quote:
well, to begin with, i cut off the plugs (one was melted.) so i took the low beam, and put that on a relay, then i took the highbeam and put it on a different relay. ok, now we have nice clean power to all 4 headlights. i then added a relay that when the high beams are on sends power to the lowbeam after the lowbeam's relay. nice thing about relays is that they are one way. i also have a 4.7uf capacitor on each of my HID ballasts, so the transition does not make them reset, during the switch from low to high. (but from high to low, it turns on the low before dropping the high, so there is no issue there.)

some will say it is overkill, some will say it is stupid... i personally like it. and with my dual halos the high beam has NO peripheral light, so it really helped when running along backroads in PA (deer are sneaky like ninja out here).

i would not recommend doing this without all 3 relays though, cause the draw MIGHT cause problems on the stock wiring (it is really small.)
Scarr... do you have any pics of this wiring? For some reason, I've never been able to use relays in the way that they were intended. They never seem to come with much explanation on what wires go where. I think that settup would work really well on the back roads out here as well. We have those same damn ninja deer out here too! Any detailed pics would be greatly appreciated if you have some time or happen to have some already. Thanks!
3G-XXX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/25/2010, 12:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
Titanium Spork

actually i am building a box for my new headlight set up. i should have something that i can take pics of soon, and will do so. (there is extra stuff in it too for running halos.)

Quote:
Quote:
scarr's right
Old 02/25/2010, 01:21 PM   #17 (permalink)

erep given scarr.

what relays are these you talk about?
Old 02/25/2010, 01:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Titanium Spork

normal one you get at autozone, or advanced:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...&name=PB685-ND

kinda, exaclty like that.

Quote:
Quote:
scarr's right

Last edited by scarr; 02/25/2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02/25/2010, 02:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
Steel Blue

Quote:
actually i am building a box for my new headlight set up. i should have something that i can take pics of soon, and will do so. (there is extra stuff in it too for running halos.)
Very nice! I cannot wait to see what you end up with... Thanks!

e-rep!
Old 02/25/2010, 02:35 PM   #20 (permalink)
From the Internet

Vehicle: 2003 T19 Eclipse RS
Sh4d0wX7 has a few friends hereSh4d0wX7 has a few friends hereSh4d0wX7 has a few friends hereSh4d0wX7 has a few friends hereSh4d0wX7 has a few friends hereSh4d0wX7 has a few friends hereSh4d0wX7 has a few friends hereSh4d0wX7 has a few friends hereSh4d0wX7 has a few friends hereSh4d0wX7 has a few friends here
Send a message via AIM to Sh4d0wX7 Send a message via Skype™ to Sh4d0wX7
I'll probably end up doing this too. repped.
Old 02/26/2010, 01:24 AM   #21 (permalink)

Vehicle: '03 Pearl Eclipse
Reminisce : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to Reminisce
I have sonar projector headlights as well. I have adjusted according to the guide there but when I drive, it shines on the ground and not very far ahead. Is this normal? I do not have HID, just bright white H1s.

I have pointed them up some but I can't see the street signs either and I have noticed that most have questioned whether they have left-right aligning. Do any of you know if there are any horizontal alignments? All I see on these are the up-down alignments.
Reminisce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/26/2010, 01:25 AM   #22 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2004 WRX
Got Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reminisce View Post
I have sonar projector headlights as well. I have adjusted according to the guide there but when I drive, it shines on the ground and not very far ahead. Is this normal? I do not have HID, just bright white H1s.

I have pointed them up some but I can't see the street signs either and I have noticed that most have questioned whether they have left-right aligning. Do any of you know if there are any horizontal alignments? All I see on these are the up-down alignments.
I am pretty sure there isn't. And they dont really need to have them, the left and right is perfect for mine.
Got Rice Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/26/2010, 10:50 AM   #23 (permalink)

Vehicle: '03 Pearl Eclipse
Reminisce : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to Reminisce
Ok, thats cool. I just saw that guide on How To and i can't seem to align them left-right but I just eyeball it now, as long as i can see down the road and not get flashed i will keep it that way.
Reminisce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/11/2010, 07:14 PM   #24 (permalink)
Steel Blue

Quote:
Scarr,

Did you ever post pics of this setup? I'd be really interested to see how it is all laid out. I think a lot of people would be interested in this, actually. Thanks!
Old 05/11/2010, 07:27 PM   #25 (permalink)
Titanium Spork

oh, crap! no i didn't... and i sealed it all up, so i don't want to tear it apart.

i will try to make a detailed diagram.

Quote:
Quote:
scarr's right
Old 05/11/2010, 07:31 PM   #26 (permalink)
Steel Blue

Dang! Well... any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Eclipse Garage > Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.