HOW TO: Remove the Headliner - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Eclipse Garage > Maintenance
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

Old 05/13/2004, 09:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
kx

Vehicle: '02 Ford Escape XLT Sport
kx seems to be okaykx seems to be okaykx seems to be okaykx seems to be okaykx seems to be okaykx seems to be okay
Send a message via AIM to kx
HOW TO: Remove the Headliner

Presented to you by RL

How to remove your headliner (roof). You'll need a Phillips screwdriver and wrench, all the bolts are between 9mm and 17mm. I only show one side here but they're both the same. I also recommend keeping all your screws/bolts organized so you know what goes where when you put it back together.

I tried to make this as thorough as possible, but if there's any questions post 'em and I'll answer. And if anybody finds mistakes, post it so I can correct the instructions!

For reference, I have a 2000GT PP cali black/beige.

To remove the headliner you have to remove the A piller trim pieces, rear upper trim pieces, and a few plugs. The order doesn't really matter, but from now on I'm removing the easier stuff first.

Preremoval

You'll have to remove the rear side panels to be able to remove the rear upper trim pieces.

Step 1.

Remove three plugs at rear of headliner.

Step 2.

Unscrew and remove visors. If you have a sunroof, you can pull off the sunroof control switch too, or watch it fly off later when you pull off the headliner.

Step 3.

Next are the A pillar trim pieces. You can pull them right off, they are only held on by a few clips (circled below).

Step 4.

That takes care of the really easy stuff! Now just a tad bit more work to do the rear upper pieces (B/C pillar trim). Unscrew the three screws at the bottom and one for the coat hook (driver side only). Also, pop off the top of the seat belt height adjuster to reveal a bolt. Remove the bolt and move the seatbelt out of the way. When reinstalling later, the torque spec is 33+/-7 ftlb (44+/-10 Nm).

kx is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05/13/2004, 09:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
kx

Vehicle: '02 Ford Escape XLT Sport
kx seems to be okaykx seems to be okaykx seems to be okaykx seems to be okaykx seems to be okaykx seems to be okay
Send a message via AIM to kx
Step 5.

Pull off the rear upper trim piece -- once again, it's a bunch of clips.

Step 6.

I think you can skip this step, but for completeness: Pulling off the trim piece should reveal the seatbelt height lock mechanism, with a bolt on each end. Remove these bolts and the whole piece. Again, the torque spec is 33+/-7 ftlb (44+/-10 Nm). I took a bad picture, so you only see the top bolt here... oooops!

Step 7.

Ok! Now the only thing holding on the headliner will be the weatherstripping on the sides and sunroof. So just pull the headliner off and you're done!

Now if you want to get down to more sheetmetal, there are a few more pieces you can easily take off, without getting into the sunroof assembly. Just remove the screws.

Reinstallation: Getting the weatherstripping back on can be tricky, helps if you have another pair of hands: one to hold the headliner up, one to fit the weatherstripping. Otherwise, just make sure you get stripping over all the panels too.
kx is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Eclipse Garage > Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.