HOW TO: Remove Door Panels - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Eclipse Garage > Maintenance
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

Old 05/13/2004, 10:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
kx

Vehicle: '02 Ford Escape XLT Sport
kx seems to be okaykx seems to be okaykx seems to be okaykx seems to be okaykx seems to be okaykx seems to be okay
Send a message via AIM to kx
HOW TO: Remove Door Panels

Presented to you by RL

So here's how to remove your door panels. You'll need a Phillips screwdriver and wrench. The pictures flip between the two sides here, but the instructions on both are exactly the same. I also recommend keeping all your screws/bolts organized so you know what goes where when you put it back together.

I tried to make this as thorough as possible, but if there's any questions post 'em and I'll answer. And if anybody finds mistakes, post it so I can correct the instructions!

For reference, I have a 2000GT PP cali black/beige.

Step 1.

There are three screws and two bolts holding the door panel on the door. One screw on each end and one underneath the door open/close handle. The two bolts are under the trimcaps for the armrest handle. You can pry off the trimcaps with a flathead screwdriver or similar; you may want to wrap it in cloth to avoid chipping the trimcap. You don't have to unscrew the screws under the trimcap; they hold the armrest handle to the panel.

Step 2.

The door panel is still held onto the door by several clips and the weatherstripping next to the window glass. Here's what I did:

1. Pull the bottom of the panel and around the edges away from the door, pulling all the clips free.
2. Lift the panel straight up, then out, to get the weatherstripping over the door frame.

Hopefully these pictures help clarify that. Note that they are driver side. Unfortunately I didn't take a close up pic of the weatherstrip, so forgive my artistic abilities . It's drawn from the same angle as the door edge. Note that the electrical connector for the power window/locks will still be connected!

Step 3.

The door panel should now be detached, but you'll have to look behind it and disconnect the connector for the power controls. Push the tab on the side in and pull apart. I don't have any pictures of this either.

Step 4.

Now you can move the panel aside. The speaker is fully accessible. If you want to get behind the waterproof film, there are a few more screws to remove, and you can pull the film right off. It is held on by 3M AAD Part No. 8625 Sealant or equivalent.

Reinstallation tip: Getting the panel weatherstrip back around the door frame, up against the window glass, can be tricky. The best way I found is to stick your hand/fingers through the hole for the open/close handle and push/fit the weatherstripping around the door. Then you can slide/guide the rest of top of the panel. Make sure it is lined up correctly! Then it's just a matter of pushing the clips back in and replacing the screws/bolts.
kx is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Eclipse Garage > Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.