Rb25det 03 GTS - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Visualization > Members Rides

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05/30/2017, 04:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: gts-s
vis_eclipse : who are you?
Rb25det 03 GTS

So ive owned this 03 GTS as my first car since high school in 07 and while I've owned many vehicles in between I could never let this one go. This is the build that will push the car in a whole new direction, sideways hopefully.

So let's start off with where it started as a bone stock GTS 5 speed that was lightly modded throughout school and in my early career. Later on i had a full forged 6g74 with sds and full shebang(all for sale). After buying an r35 I realized I needed to go in a completely different direction to keep this car relevant to where I wanted it to end. Start today's current off the wall build of swapping an rb25det out of an r33 GTS.

Last edited by vis_eclipse; 05/30/2017 at 06:02 PM.
vis_eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05/30/2017, 05:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

So i'm already into the build a little bit but i wanted to make sure it was feasible before making a post so i will bring you up to speed to where it sits today after 3 weekends of work.First the factory subframe will not work with this swap so that came out and the exhaust tunnel had to be cut larger to fit the RB trans.

Then after that i mocked the engine up to verify enough was cut.

New engine cradle built and the engine is sitting in there on its own weight.

the new front subframe is 75% built and trans tunnel is 50% fabbed and welded in. pics to come as completed.
Old 05/30/2017, 08:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
BMW / Benz Tech

Vehicle: 01 GT Tampa Blue
detter21 : who are you?detter21 : who are you?detter21 : who are you?
Interesting.... Im gonna make some popcorn.

Keep at it!!
detter21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05/30/2017, 08:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2003 Eclipse GTS
Kyzaon : who are you?
That's really great that someone is taking the time and effort to post and record a swap that isn't another 6g series motor. Kudos to you and I hope it goes smoothly for you!
Kyzaon is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/30/2017, 08:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Swing the Hammer

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GTX
Silvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club exists
Sweet. I approve of chopping 3gs up for drivetrain swaps.
Silvertune is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/30/2017, 10:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 eclipse gt
6g75_3g : who are you?
Damnnnnnnn subscribe!!!!

You know, i never thought about doing a craddle like that. Good shit.

What are u going to do about rear end and steering component
6g75_3g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/30/2017, 11:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GSX
bostonhatcher should be considered a regularbostonhatcher should be considered a regularbostonhatcher should be considered a regularbostonhatcher should be considered a regularbostonhatcher should be considered a regularbostonhatcher should be considered a regularbostonhatcher should be considered a regularbostonhatcher should be considered a regularbostonhatcher should be considered a regularbostonhatcher should be considered a regularbostonhatcher should be considered a regular
Wuttttt! This is awesome dude. Pleasssssssse tell me this is gonna be awd (make me awd cunt)
Old 05/31/2017, 04:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonhatcher View Post
Wuttttt! This is awesome dude. Pleasssssssse tell me this is gonna be awd (make me awd cunt)
Lmao no just rwd I really want a car that I can get sideways in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6g75_3g View Post
Damnnnnnnn subscribe!!!!

You know, i never thought about doing a craddle like that. Good shit.

What are u going to do about rear end and steering component
I'm not sure if I want to buy a 2g rear subframe or build a tubular one that is still up in the air as for the steering components I'll have to make my own lower comtrol arms and front subframe and use oem components for everything.

Last edited by vis_eclipse; 05/31/2017 at 05:53 AM.
Old 05/31/2017, 10:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse
MitsuE : who are you?MitsuE : who are you?
sick build man a combo of my 2 fav cars cant wait to see this one good luck with the build
MitsuE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/31/2017, 11:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Swing the Hammer

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GTX
Silvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club existsSilvertune is one of the reasons this club exists
The 2g rear is trash. You'll be way better off with a real rear end set up.
Silvertune is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/31/2017, 02:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Redneck Yankee Admin

Vehicle: 05 GS-T Remix Edition
Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.
Wow. Someone is actually doing it. You have no idea how many kids came in here and said they want to do this. It's refreshing to see someone pull the trigger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If life is a highway, mine is missing some signs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/31/2017, 06:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertune View Post
The 2g rear is trash. You'll be way better off with a real rear end set up.
Yea, end goal is tubular subframe with either an r230 or maybe an IRS 9" but just to get it on the road faster I may go 2g just for bolt in simplicity. Good to see your car boosted I remember way back in the day when I was more active you were just getting all your parts together to put an m90 supercharger on I think. Btw are Greg and Charles still active members.
Old 06/01/2017, 09:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
Redneck Yankee Admin

Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.
Greg and Charles aren't on much any more. I keep in touch with them both outside of C3G.

Old 06/01/2017, 09:45 AM   #14 (permalink)

bostonhatcher should be considered a regularbostonhatcher should be considered a regularbostonhatcher should be considered a regularbostonhatcher should be considered a regularbostonhatcher should be considered a regularbostonhatcher should be considered a regularbostonhatcher should be considered a regularbostonhatcher should be considered a regularbostonhatcher should be considered a regularbostonhatcher should be considered a regularbostonhatcher should be considered a regular
Are you gonna ditch the HVAC? The box sits like an inch above the factory tunnel.
Old 06/01/2017, 10:13 AM   #15 (permalink)

Hvac will stay, there is going to be just enough room to squeak the new trans tunnel under it. The height of the trans wasn't the real issue it was the width. Where it passes thru the firewall it's only 11" tall
Old 06/04/2017, 01:00 PM   #16 (permalink)

started getting the new tunnel formed, took off the old intake manifold and built the trans mount.

For the trans mount i took some 1-1/2x.25 angle iron, drilled holes in it and weled nuts to the back side, drilled holes in the rails and welded the angle to the rail with the nut recessed then welded 1-1/4 tube to another piece of angle as the bracket that bolts to the car. The trans mount is from a chevy truck, it ended up bolting right up to the trans.

Few pictures of the engine cradle and subframe

Last edited by vis_eclipse; 06/04/2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06/18/2017, 07:21 PM   #17 (permalink)

frame side of the control arms done, trans tunnel done, and new intake manifold mocked up before final tear down and powder coat. dash starting to go back in as well

Old 06/19/2017, 06:27 AM   #18 (permalink)
Redneck Yankee Admin

Looking good

Old 06/19/2017, 07:36 AM   #19 (permalink)
am cat

Vehicle: 2007 Camaro
Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
Ok that's cool and all...but will the AC still work?

Impressive work, that's going to really confuse some people when you take it out for a spin.

Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/19/2017, 07:59 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter View Post
Ok that's cool and all...but will the AC still work?

Impressive work, that's going to really confuse some people when you take it out for a spin.
It looks like it's going to! I think the hardest part is going to be soldering/brazing the a/c compressor fittings to the 3g eclipse a/c lines.

OP where did you learn to weld? Did you just experiment on your own or take classes? Looks top notch so far!
Old 06/19/2017, 10:24 AM   #21 (permalink)

Ac will work, there's a company not to far from me that I plan on having make me new lines. My old foreman was a welder back in the day so he helped teach me how to weld.

Last edited by vis_eclipse; 06/19/2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06/25/2017, 01:39 PM   #22 (permalink)

Knuckles mounted steering rack mocked up and dash is reassembled. Haltech elite 2000 should be here next week. Should be ready to fire up by late July hopefully.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Visualization > Members Rides

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Random Question