Dirt Bike - 2007 Honda CRF250X - Idle problems :-/ - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Other Automotive Discussion > Mopeds to Snowsleds
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04/12/2007, 03:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Douchecanoe

Vehicle: '08 Mazdaspeed3 GT
bsprogs is well-liked by manybsprogs is well-liked by manybsprogs is well-liked by manybsprogs is well-liked by manybsprogs is well-liked by manybsprogs is well-liked by manybsprogs is well-liked by manybsprogs is well-liked by manybsprogs is well-liked by manybsprogs is well-liked by manybsprogs is well-liked by many
Send a message via AIM to bsprogs
Dirt Bike - 2007 Honda CRF250X - Idle problems :-/

At the end of 2006 I got a 2007 CRF250X as my first dirtbike. When I got it, I put about 4 miles on it doing test rides around my house. Then it sat for a week or two and wouldn't start after that.
I took it back to the dealer where I got it and ended up paying about $120 for a complete carb. overhaul and they replaced the spark plug. They said I put some shitty gas in it but the funny thing is, it was the gas form them.

Anyways, I got the bike back and it ran great. Two days ago I took it out riding and it's got a phantom idle. When cold, I'll start it with the choke on and after about 20 - 30 seconds, I'll turn it off (this is what the manual calls for). While the choke is on, the idle has a constant speed and tone.

Once to take the choke off, it'll get to normal idle speed and sound then out of nowhere it's like to turn the idle screw 3 full turns for a few seconds, then drops back down. I dont have a single clue as to what in the hell is going on! When I give it enough gas to take off, it wants to stall. I have to give it very little until the RPMs kick up then it's good to go.

Any ideas what could cause the idle to jump and drop like that? I know jack shit about carburated engines! (Reading up on the now though)
bsprogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04/12/2007, 07:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
am cat

Vehicle: 2007 Camaro
Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
so once its warmed up its fine? check for air leaks when the engine is cold, and honda bike dealerships couldnt fix a 2 stroke if they had one up their asses.
2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/12/2007, 08:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Douchecanoe

bsprogs is well-liked by manybsprogs is well-liked by manybsprogs is well-liked by manybsprogs is well-liked by manybsprogs is well-liked by manybsprogs is well-liked by manybsprogs is well-liked by manybsprogs is well-liked by manybsprogs is well-liked by manybsprogs is well-liked by manybsprogs is well-liked by many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter View Post
so once its warmed up its fine? check for air leaks when the engine is cold, and honda bike dealerships couldnt fix a 2 stroke if they had one up their asses.
Even when it's warmed up it still has the idle problems.

@ dealership mechanics
Old 04/12/2007, 03:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
is on a fitness kick

Vehicle: 02' Land Rover Disco II
Surf is God.Surf is God.Surf is God.Surf is God.Surf is God.Surf is God.Surf is God.Surf is God.Surf is God.Surf is God.Surf is God.
Quote:
iirc, that isn't a 2 stroke
Old 04/12/2007, 03:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Douchecanoe

I didn't even notice he said 2 stroke in there it's a 4
Old 04/12/2007, 04:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
is on a fitness kick

Surf is God.Surf is God.Surf is God.Surf is God.Surf is God.Surf is God.Surf is God.Surf is God.Surf is God.Surf is God.Surf is God.
I'd go on a honda forum, or a 4 stroke dirtbike forum. I couldn't tell you the first thing about a newer 4 stroke carbs. I would first set the air screw to about 1.5 turns out from all the way in. Fire it up, but don't leave the choke on as long, maybe 10-15 seconds max. Another problem some people have with the four stroke bikes is not setting the idle speed high enough. They are made to idle a bit higher than a car, truck or atv. It's a very lightweight fourstroke. Does it bog or stumble anywhere else once you get going?
Old 04/12/2007, 05:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Douchecanoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf View Post
I'd go on a honda forum, or a 4 stroke dirtbike forum. I couldn't tell you the first thing about a newer 4 stroke carbs. I would first set the air screw to about 1.5 turns out from all the way in. Fire it up, but don't leave the choke on as long, maybe 10-15 seconds max. Another problem some people have with the four stroke bikes is not setting the idle speed high enough. They are made to idle a bit higher than a car, truck or atv. It's a very lightweight fourstroke. Does it bog or stumble anywhere else once you get going?
When I first take off, I have to baby the throttle but once it's going it'll run pretty good. Every once in a while it'll bog but it'll do that in 1st and 2nd but nothing above there.
Old 04/12/2007, 05:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
am cat

Vehicle: 2007 Camaro
Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf View Post
iirc, that isn't a 2 stroke
my bad, i saw the F but i didnt pay attention to it
2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/12/2007, 05:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Douchecanoe

Quote:
my bad, i saw the F but i didnt pay attention to it
No problem
Old 04/12/2007, 05:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
is on a fitness kick

Bogging is bad. It's either caused by an overly rich or lean condition. It isn't a problem that can be diagnosed on the internet without more info, especially by someone who doesn't know much about your bike's specifics (Me .) I'd first try raising the idle a little and see if that takes care of your problem. As I mentioned earlier, joining a Honda specific forum would be your best bet. Even a forum specific to four stroke dirt bikes should be good. Try http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Other Automotive Discussion > Mopeds to Snowsleds

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.