How to drive Auto/Manual? - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Welcome Forums > New Members Forum
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06/23/2011, 09:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
My mom let me join C3G!
Cocknozzle

Vehicle: 00 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
J's_rojoGT Is a walking rectal thermometerJ's_rojoGT Is a walking rectal thermometerJ's_rojoGT Is a walking rectal thermometerJ's_rojoGT Is a walking rectal thermometerJ's_rojoGT Is a walking rectal thermometerJ's_rojoGT Is a walking rectal thermometerJ's_rojoGT Is a walking rectal thermometerJ's_rojoGT Is a walking rectal thermometerJ's_rojoGT Is a walking rectal thermometerJ's_rojoGT Is a walking rectal thermometerJ's_rojoGT Is a walking rectal thermometer
Question How to drive Auto/Manual?

Hello,
I searched the 3g forum and couldn't find anything about this topic, so i started a new tread. Sorry, i'm a newbie...

My question is: How do you drive the Auto/Manual transmission? At what RPM should i shift, downshift?

AND: what's the official name for it? I heard people call it: Autostick, Manumatic, Auto/Manual, TipTronic, I've heard so many names.

*this pic is not of my car, i got it off google cuz i didn't have a picture
J's_rojoGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06/23/2011, 10:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Chuck Nasty

Vehicle: stuff
chavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regular
Send a message via AIM to chavezeclipse Send a message via Yahoo to chavezeclipse
automanual or tiptronic (thats the name of software). all it is, is a program that allows you to control shifts when you want to. with d321 you do the same thing by controlling shifts, tiptronic is just a little easier. put it in d and leave it alone. if you need to stop extra fast slide it right into the gate and flick it back to downshift for slowing down more. another neat feature is in the snow you can flick it over and do 2nd gear starts to prevent spinning (slide over to right and flick forwards for upshift) alot of cars get these now since it is easier to understand than d321 even though it is the same principle. if you want to have fun then redline is 6 in a 4 cylinder and 6250 in a v6 so you can go that high if you want. you sound new to this so i thought i would help before everyone makes fun of you
hybrid clutch
quiafe lsd
custom 3" intake
halo projectors
evo enkei 17" rims
245/40 g-max
6g74 swap w/UIM/TB
tein s tech kyb agx
cmf headers
poly mounts
evo brakes
UCS tune
custom 2.5" exhaust
csf 2 row radiator
rear strut bar
battery relocated to trunk
22mm rear sway bar
ss brake lines
nice sound system

chavezeclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/23/2011, 10:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
My mom let me join C3G!
Cocknozzle

J's_rojoGT Is a walking rectal thermometerJ's_rojoGT Is a walking rectal thermometerJ's_rojoGT Is a walking rectal thermometerJ's_rojoGT Is a walking rectal thermometerJ's_rojoGT Is a walking rectal thermometerJ's_rojoGT Is a walking rectal thermometerJ's_rojoGT Is a walking rectal thermometerJ's_rojoGT Is a walking rectal thermometerJ's_rojoGT Is a walking rectal thermometerJ's_rojoGT Is a walking rectal thermometerJ's_rojoGT Is a walking rectal thermometer
Yes, I'm only 16, and never, ever tried a manual car, or in this case, an Auto/Manual.

I just started driving and want to have fun with the manual feature, but don't know how to mess with it, i tried earlier today and....didn't go so well when i downshifted. Maybe all i need is to know how to downshift.

EDIT- Don't make fun of me please... i just wanna know how to do it right so i don't mess up the trans of my very 1st car.

Last edited by J's_rojoGT; 06/23/2011 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 06/23/2011, 10:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Chuck Nasty

chavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regular
Send a message via AIM to chavezeclipse Send a message via Yahoo to chavezeclipse
the factory shift points in D are very good. i messed with it on the 4 cylinder i used to have and at the track it made no difference. if you look up mitsubishi's description they say it is for curvy roads (leave it in like 2 or 3 and you dont have to wait for power since you are in the powerband) but the only sensible use is in snow or braking. if you just hit your brakes in D around 60 then do it at 60 and downshift to try to keep rev's around 3k and you will notice a difference. it is called engine braking. when you let off the gas the injectors are turned off so the compression of the engine just flows out the exhaust causing drag thus slowing you down more. the 2nd gear starts are wonderful (especially for you since you have the v6). many cars don't have 2nd gear start options on auto's even though it is awesome. this makes people buy manuals when they are unsure how to use them. on older auto's 2nd gear starts would require a special valve body (the part that controls shifts in an auto) but yours just has a manual over ride program so it will help you alot. just remember dont redline since that destroys your engine. if you redline alot you will notice metal shavings in the oil when it is changed. that is bearing material. the bearings on which the crankshaft rotate on. meaning when they wear out it has play and moves around and slowly destroys your engine. make sure you use 93 octane too.
hybrid clutch
quiafe lsd
custom 3" intake
halo projectors
evo enkei 17" rims
245/40 g-max
6g74 swap w/UIM/TB
tein s tech kyb agx
cmf headers
poly mounts
evo brakes
UCS tune
custom 2.5" exhaust
csf 2 row radiator
rear strut bar
22mm rear sway bar
ss brake lines
nice sound system

Old 06/23/2011, 10:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
My mom let me join C3G!
Cocknozzle

so shift every 3k rpm, don't redline it, used only for braking and snow...
just one more question...can it be used for racing the car? and your not supposed to downshift to 1st right?...cuz i did that and...well let's just say i really felt the trans when i did that (big jolt and slow down, plus my dad got mad)
Old 06/23/2011, 10:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
R.I.P. silverside

Vehicle: '03 6G75T, '98GSX, EVO IX
finesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via Yahoo to finesse49ers
Quote:
Originally Posted by J's_rojoGT View Post
just one more question...can it be used for racing the car?
I knew that question was coming.

This is what I'm about: The 3G, 1998 GSX, EVO IX GSR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin711 View Post
Whens the car going to be finished with the turbo and everything on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmEcis View Post
Kevin: It'll be done when I'm done with it... ;)
finesse49ers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/23/2011, 10:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Chuck Nasty

you can go down to first but i would only do that when engine braking. and you dont want to engine brake often, only to avoid an accident. you can use it for racing you will go no faster. if you do, shift at 5750. thats when the stock cams run out and you have drop off (meaning less power). really its fun when you are on a curvy road, put it in 3rd and just accelerate and decelerate so you have constant power. by the way, it won't let you labor gears. lets say you leave it in manual at 4 at 60 miles an hour. if you slow down it will still downshift automatically around 1.5ish so you won't ruin the transmission.
hybrid clutch
quiafe lsd
custom 3" intake
halo projectors
evo enkei 17" rims
245/40 g-max
6g74 swap w/UIM/TB
tein s tech kyb agx
cmf headers
poly mounts
evo brakes
UCS tune
custom 2.5" exhaust
csf 2 row radiator
rear strut bar
22mm rear sway bar
ss brake lines
nice sound system

Old 06/23/2011, 10:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Vehicle: 01 Eclipse Spyder Gt
MitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by manyMitsubishiOwn is well-liked by many
Yes you can shift in to first but you will feel the jolt unless your going about 5mph well it seems like that for me :/
MitsubishiOwn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/23/2011, 10:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Chuck Nasty

the jolt is just the engine moving and when you go into first you will usually rev a little high. when engine braking try this:
4 to 3 around 50
3 to 2 around 35
2 to 1 around 15 to 20

don't forget there is a half second delay in shifts to compensate when racing and operating in manual. so since you want to shift at 5750, when you see it 5500 shift and youll nail 5750. thats peak horsepower on the stock 6g72
hybrid clutch
quiafe lsd
custom 3" intake
halo projectors
evo enkei 17" rims
245/40 g-max
6g74 swap w/UIM/TB
tein s tech kyb agx
cmf headers
poly mounts
evo brakes
UCS tune
custom 2.5" exhaust
csf 2 row radiator
rear strut bar
22mm rear sway bar
ss brake lines
nice sound system

Old 06/23/2011, 11:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
My mom let me join C3G!
Cocknozzle

ok, thanks chavezeclipse! very helpful

Last edited by J's_rojoGT; 06/23/2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06/28/2011, 06:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
first eclipse

Vehicle: 01 mitsubishi eclipse gt
shadow33284 : who are you?
I have the same thing on my 01 man. its a nice feature to have (especially for snow and engine braking, like everyone says) personally i use it if im just cruising around and havin a little fun. just be careful using it. keep it in the rpms previously mentioned and you will be ok but it will wear the transmission out a little faster. the previous owner of my car changed the tranny in 08 because of that very instance (my car is an 01) very fun though
shadow33284 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/30/2011, 10:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
Devils Advocate

Vehicle: 2003 Eclipse GTS
brewcitygts : who are you?brewcitygts : who are you?brewcitygts : who are you?
I cant even have my car in D anymore. Put it into neutral every time I do.
brewcitygts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/30/2011, 10:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
Hammer Time!

Vehicle: THIS HOUSE!!
jaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club exists
Somebody take this guy's keys.
jaloosk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06/30/2011, 11:11 AM   #14 (permalink)
Devils Advocate

Vehicle: 2003 Eclipse GTS
brewcitygts : who are you?brewcitygts : who are you?brewcitygts : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaloosk View Post
Because Im used to shifting myself..?Or is that directed towards OP? Im not even that aggressive of a driver..
brewcitygts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/04/2011, 07:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
eclipse6g72

Vehicle: 2000 eclipse gt
david068 can pretty much be considered an idiot by all
Quote:
Hello,
I searched the 3g forum and couldn't find anything about this topic, so i started a new tread. Sorry, i'm a newbie...

My question is: How do you drive the Auto/Manual transmission? At what RPM should i shift, downshift?

AND: what's the official name for it? I heard people call it: Autostick, Manumatic, Auto/Manual, TipTronic, I've heard so many names.

*this pic is not of my car, i got it off google cuz i didn't have a picture
Hey man the name for the Manuel automatic is called sportronic
david068 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/04/2011, 08:10 PM   #16 (permalink)

Vehicle: RIP: 03 GT 5-speed
3Gspeed : who are you?3Gspeed : who are you?3Gspeed : who are you?3Gspeed : who are you?3Gspeed : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcitygts View Post
Because Im used to shifting myself..?Or is that directed towards OP? Im not even that aggressive of a driver..
He was referring to the OP... This thread makes me

but seriously all the "sportronic/auto-stick/clutchless-shift" does is gives you control of when your car changes gears....
3Gspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/04/2011, 11:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
lit up

Vehicle: '02 mountain bike
soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.soundman98 is clearly one sexy bitch.
the funnier thing is that some older dodge/chrysler minivans also had this feature...
soundman98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/05/2011, 10:00 AM   #18 (permalink)
My mom let me join C3G!
Cocknozzle

Quote:
^^ HA, you are funny, i'm sure when you started driving you were all pro, didn't need help at all
Quote:
This thread makes me
After figuring this out now, looking back at this makes me laugh now too

Just noticed this: david068, "is considered an idiot by all" LOL

Last edited by J's_rojoGT; 07/05/2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07/05/2011, 10:44 AM   #19 (permalink)
Hammer Time!

jaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club exists
When I started driving, I asked my driving instructor these types of questions, not some random internet forum. In addition, reading the manual goes a long way to understanding how your car was designed to be operated.
Old 07/05/2011, 10:49 AM   #20 (permalink)
My mom let me join C3G!
Cocknozzle

Quote:
When I started driving, I asked my driving instructor these types of questions, not some random internet forum. In addition, reading the manual goes a long way to understanding how your car was designed to be operated.
I bought the car used with my immigrant dad, he doesn't know much about cars and the car doesn't have a manual, i asked some other people about how to use the auto/manual feature and they turned out to be wrong...so i asked the forum..is that a crime now or wrong?
Old 07/05/2011, 10:53 AM   #21 (permalink)
Hammer Time!

Not at all...you can ask any question you want in this forum. I never said it was a crime. I wasn't even making fun of you.

My original remark was a veiled reference to the fact that you didn't "RTFM" and therefore should not be driving yet, that's all.
Old 07/05/2011, 11:02 AM   #22 (permalink)
My mom let me join C3G!
Cocknozzle

ok...just making it clear, car had no manual
Old 07/06/2011, 09:40 PM   #23 (permalink)
eclipse6g72

Vehicle: 2000 eclipse gt
david068 can pretty much be considered an idiot by all
Quote:
^^ HA, you are funny, i'm sure when you started driving you were all pro, didn't need help at all
After figuring this out now, looking back at this makes me laugh now too

Just noticed this: david068, "is considered an idiot by all" LOL
Hi, I cannot follow the rules and will be banned for a day or two if I can't comply with them. I now realize that such language as I had posted does not belong in the New Members forum. Sorry for any disruption I may have caused.
david068 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/06/2011, 09:47 PM   #24 (permalink)
TxTuning.com

Vehicle: '13 Wrx
Tx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wide
Quote:
Originally Posted by david068 View Post
You are a complete moron u ask the question I said sportronic. Fuck u bitch shove that up your idiot ass. you fucking retard read your manual, to bad you can't read.
reminds me of grade school.
Old 07/07/2011, 07:41 AM   #25 (permalink)
ScoobieBoobie

Vehicle: 2012 WRX Premium Edition
Britt seems to be well-liked by allBritt seems to be well-liked by allBritt seems to be well-liked by allBritt seems to be well-liked by allBritt seems to be well-liked by allBritt seems to be well-liked by allBritt seems to be well-liked by allBritt seems to be well-liked by allBritt seems to be well-liked by allBritt seems to be well-liked by allBritt seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to Britt
Just learn who to drive a manual transmission. same general concept minus the clutch. Listen to your car and don't cause her pain, just like during sex.
Britt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/07/2011, 02:46 PM   #26 (permalink)
Redneck Yankee Mod..

Vehicle: 05 Eclipse Remix Edition
Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.
Just drive as your please. It's a learning process. The car wont allow you to "hurt" itself by downshifting into a lower gear at higher speeds. Truthfully, no matter what, the computer is still in full control.

If life is a highway, mine is missing some signs.

One of the best 3G answers ever.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/15/2011, 02:07 PM   #27 (permalink)

Vehicle: 04 midnight blue eclipse
04blueEclipse : who are you?
Yeah the computer has most control, so don't worry about hurting your car, but i learned how to drive a stick on probably the hardest stick, and now my eclipse is a piece of cake i learned when i was 12 and I'm just turning 16 now, and you don't even have to worry about a clutch or anything so you can do it! plus watch you tube videos about it, it helps alot!
04blueEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Welcome Forums > New Members Forum

Tags
automatic, how to, manual, shift

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.