broke timing belt on 2003 Eclipse GS 2.4 - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Welcome Forums > New Members Forum
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07/07/2011, 08:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

buckz6319 : who are you?
broke timing belt on 2003 Eclipse GS 2.4

I'm new to the forum and looking forward to some guidance on replacing the timing belt on my daughters car.I have been wrenching for many years but not a professional mechanic,more of a diy guy.I have changed out timing belts several times on my own 95 Toyota 4runner 4x4, which had 3.0 V-6 before I sold it a few years ago.I also like to work on small engines for a few friends and myself,however given that short introduction

I'm not familiar with the Mitsubishi 2.4.I did have to replace the fuel pump in this car a few months ago. when my daughter called me Tuesday night, about her car breaking down,I thought her fuel pump went out again.I had the car towed home and got a look at it Wednesday morning and ruled out the fuel pump being the cause of the engine quitting.The problem turns out to be a broken timing belt (see pic) I think this is the original timing belt, the p.o. said he changed it but had no receipts, it looks old to me?

My daughter was driving her 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2.4 with 124,000 on the clock,she said that " I slowing down to stop at a stop sign, and the engine quit running and would not restart again",,good thing she was going slow so maybe the valves are okay,knowing that this is a interference engine from searching this forum.

I pulled all plugs and they look normal,also looked down each plug hole with a bright flash light, saw no marks on the pistons,and all was clean, no carbon build up visible or broken parts on the piston top.I really don;t know if it has valve train issue at this point

I thank you all in advance for any help on this issue.I have searched and found some useful materials but some procedures are not clear. I maybe asking questions about throughout this process
buckz6319 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07/07/2011, 08:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Redneck Yankee Mod..

Vehicle: 05 Eclipse Remix Edition
Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.
Welcome to the forums bud. Glad you're searching around. Keep that mentality. You'll find all the info you need to know here. Look in the garage section of the forum and they have a how-to on the timing belt for the I4. Go off that for guidance. Anything else feel free to ask us in the thread.

If life is a highway, mine is missing some signs.

One of the best 3G answers ever.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/07/2011, 08:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
am cat

Vehicle: 2007 Camaro
Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
All the time I hear 'but I had the timing belt replaced' when infact it was some other belt or they had ONLY the timing belt replaced and the tensioner failed or an idler pulley locked up on them and caused the belt to break. In fact we had a Kia in the shop today, she told the shop where she's from to 'replace all the belts', they replaced the two small serpentine belts on it but not the timing belt, it stripped teeth off on the highway near us and was towed in. Lucky her, we were able to just slap a belt on it to get her a few more hours home.
2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/07/2011, 09:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
am cat

Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
Also, be sure to replacing the balance shaft belt stuff too!
Old 07/08/2011, 05:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Welcome to the forums bud. Glad you're searching around. Keep that mentality. You'll find all the info you need to know here. Look in the garage section of the forum and they have a how-to on the timing belt for the I4. Go off that for guidance. Anything else feel free to ask us in the thread.
thanks! I will keep searching,the search feature is a must for this old fart I will keep my questions pertaining to my problem in this thread
Old 07/08/2011, 05:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter View Post
All the time I hear 'but I had the timing belt replaced' when infact it was some other belt or they had ONLY the timing belt replaced and the tensioner failed or an idler pulley locked up on them and caused the belt to break. In fact we had a Kia in the shop today, she told the shop where she's from to 'replace all the belts', they replaced the two small serpentine belts on it but not the timing belt, it stripped teeth off on the highway near us and was towed in. Lucky her, we were able to just slap a belt on it to get her a few more hours home.
I agree with you, I will start the tear down tomorrow morning and will take pics along the way for guidance, to help me when I start the reverse installation process
Old 07/08/2011, 05:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Also, be sure to replacing the balance shaft belt stuff too!
Great tip! I haveto read about the balance shaft.I haven't find a color pic of what it looks like for this 2.4 so I'll search more today for that photo
I'm not familiar with a balance shaft,so any input on this will be appreciated
Old 07/08/2011, 05:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

I was searching and found the link to the manual for this eclipse (thanks!)
it appears to me, that the timing belt "B" and related components should be installed before timing belt "A" and related components are installed,makes more sense..oh,and the special tools? do i need them?
The installation details for the timing belts are somewhat misleading? or is it just my perception?
I also tried searching for actual color photos of these parts exposed on the 2.4,and haven't located a good pic yet,they seem scarce,any help locating one would be super
thanks

Last edited by buckz6319; 07/08/2011 at 06:44 PM. Reason: added "oh,specialtools? do I need them?
Old 07/08/2011, 06:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Redneck Yankee Mod..

Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.
I'm not sure if Russ had some good info on his site or not. I know i contains a service manual and pictures on other items. Go check it out to see if anything else could help you. It's Tearstone Performance - Home

Old 07/09/2011, 01:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

well it's Hot! and Humid! here in Ga today..I did get some work done on this eclipse today

it's tough working in these conditions with sand,dirt and tree roots as the pad..I have used this spot in my yard for years to do this kinda work,except,now I'm older and feel every root and grain of sand on my butt.I do miss my garage that I use to have
Old 07/09/2011, 02:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Redneck Yankee Mod..

Glad to see progress

Old 07/10/2011, 06:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

Well I need some more help.In the pic below of the crank sprocket,I can't locate the timing mark..I think that it is a dot(according to the etch a sketch pictures I have looked at during my searching) also may be a groove,like I have had on some crank gears.
I may have to get a magnification window to see it..

I also would like to know, do I need a special tool just to change out the main timing belt only? seems like the hydraulic tensioner should put the proper amount of tension on the belt once the pin is released.This hydraulic tensioner basically works the same way as it did on my 4runner..
thanks! for any help
Old 07/10/2011, 07:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
am cat

clean the sprocket with a wire brush, there will be one dimple on it on one tooth if memory serves me correctly.
Old 07/11/2011, 07:55 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
clean the sprocket with a wire brush, there will be one dimple on it on one tooth if memory serves me correctly.
thanks! I will do that in a few days
Old 07/13/2011, 11:00 AM   #15 (permalink)

Well I have a few Questions.
What is the procedure on getting the valves back in time, before I install a new timing belt?..because of the broken belt issue I can't find info on how to do this procedure

Can I do a leak down test on the cylinders before installing the timing belt? I just don't want to install new belts, not knowing if the valves are ok or not

thanks for any info or procedures on these questions..
Old 07/13/2011, 11:07 AM   #16 (permalink)
Aple juic is my beer

Vehicle: 02 GT 3.8L, 07 Jeep GC
drunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsdrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsdrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsdrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsdrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsdrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsdrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsdrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsdrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsdrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsdrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club exists
Send a message via AIM to drunkoffjuic
This will have everything you need to know to do the timing belt change

http://tearstone.com/eclipsefsm/11B.PDF

As for the leak down, Ill let others chime in as i have never done one. But i would defiantly check the valves, as it would be safe to say that a few if not all are bent.
Old 07/13/2011, 04:21 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkoffjuic View Post
This will have everything you need to know to do the timing belt change

http://tearstone.com/eclipsefsm/11B.PDF

As for the leak down, Ill let others chime in as i have never done one. But i would defiantly check the valves, as it would be safe to say that a few if not all are bent.
thanks for the link to the manual
I have researched that manual and it reads "2. Align the timing mark on the camshaft sprocket with the
timing mark on the rocker cover.
so, that's all there is to getting the valves timed to the crank and oil pump? before I install the timing belt
well I'm going outside now to remove the rocker cover and inspect what I can on the valve train first then if I think they are ok I'll proceed further
Old 07/13/2011, 07:56 PM   #18 (permalink)

Valves look good

didn't rotate the cam pulley though.I just inspected what I could see with a bright flashlight...what do you folks think? 124,000 mikes and it looks clean
Old 07/13/2011, 08:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
am cat

Well you can't really see the valves from there, you have to take the head off to 'look' at them.
Old 07/13/2011, 08:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
Aple juic is my beer

Vehicle: 02 GT 3.8L, 07 Jeep GC
drunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsdrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsdrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsdrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsdrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsdrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsdrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsdrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsdrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsdrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsdrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club exists
Send a message via AIM to drunkoffjuic
Quote:
Well you can't really see the valves from there, you have to take the head off to 'look' at them.
Exactly what i was going to say
Old 07/14/2011, 01:57 AM   #21 (permalink)
Newbie To FWDs

Vehicle: 2001 Eclipse GT 5spd
ILeclipseGT seems to be okayILeclipseGT seems to be okayILeclipseGT seems to be okayILeclipseGT seems to be okayILeclipseGT seems to be okayILeclipseGT seems to be okay
To do a leak down test on the motor with no timing belt you are going to have to first spin the crank so the piston for the cylinder you are testing is at TDC, then you must spin both cams so that all 4 valves are completely shut. You can tell when the valve springs are free that the valves are closed. Then you use a leak-down gauge/aparatus (sorry not sure on the technical term) and find your percentage of blow-by.

Not everything you need to know but that is the basics...
Old 07/14/2011, 05:24 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILeclipseGT View Post
To do a leak down test on the motor with no timing belt you are going to have to first spin the crank so the piston for the cylinder you are testing is at TDC, then you must spin both cams so that all 4 valves are completely shut. You can tell when the valve springs are free that the valves are closed. Then you use a leak-down gauge/aparatus (sorry not sure on the technical term) and find your percentage of blow-by.

Not everything you need to know but that is the basics...
thanks! I thought so.I haven't worked on a valve train in a while. but with this tip I remember how to do the leak down test and just so happens I have a tester I havent used in a few years...so back to working on this on Saturday
Old 07/14/2011, 05:29 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
thanks! I know that to properly get a good look at the valve lip and seat the head has to be removed,however I was looking to see if any stems look bent or parts blew apart like i have heard so much about with these engines
I know now that working on these engines. you professional earn your money

Last edited by buckz6319; 07/14/2011 at 05:32 AM.
Old 07/14/2011, 07:20 AM   #24 (permalink)
am cat

the stem won't be bent up there, it will be bent right at the head of the valve where it's welded to the stem.
Old 07/14/2011, 08:04 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
the stem won't be bent up there, it will be bent right at the head of the valve where it's welded to the stem.
Thanks for the info
I have replaced valves where the stems were bent..so maybe this engine is different than the one's I have worked on in the past
Thanks again. For the tip
Old 07/14/2011, 06:20 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
thanks for the tip
Ok..I have located the timing mark (dimple) on the crank sprocket, now looks like the

Now that I have located the dimple on the front of the CRANKSHAFT SPROCKET
that dimple is not shown in the illustration picture, that is in the manual,section, 11B page 15
Now am I missing something here? looks like in the pic the timing mark is a v-grove on a flange, 3. Align the timing mark on the crankshaft sprocket with the
timing mark on the front case.(I don't see a mark on the front case yet,but hopefully it is there)
so apparently I have a different crank sprocket? or is this procedure for another size engine?
thanks for any help
here again is the pic of my crank sprocket
Old 07/14/2011, 07:06 PM   #27 (permalink)

I thought I saw a dimple on the front crank shaft sprocket (that the timing belt "A" rides on) but I was wrong, after reviewing the diagram again,I did locate the v-grove on the actual crank sprocket.I guess the front crank sprocket that the timing belt "A" rides on is called something else? not sure, but here is a pic I just snapped a few minutes ago.I circled in red, the v-grove in the crank sprocket and CRANKSHAFT SENSING BLADE, yellow arrows point to the groves..now I have to locate the mark on the front case

these manuals are confusing, please let me know if I'm on the right track here
thanks
Old 07/14/2011, 07:11 PM   #28 (permalink)
am cat

yea but you still need to pull that off to get the balance shaft belt out to change it....so why bother setting the crank in time?
Old 07/14/2011, 08:11 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
yea but you still need to pull that off to get the balance shaft belt out to change it....so why bother setting the crank in time?
thanks for the reply
I don't plan on changing the balance shaft belt at this point.I'm trying to get the timing belt marks correctly into position so I can install a new timing belt temporarily,then I know that the engine is in time so I can do a cylinder leak down test.
I think if I do it this way I will know for sure if the valves are good or not, if good valves then new belts
Old 07/14/2011, 08:13 PM   #30 (permalink)
am cat

you know you could just rotate the cam and crank in time to each other bring each cylinder to TDC and check that way.
Old 07/14/2011, 11:10 PM   #31 (permalink)
Newbie To FWDs

ILeclipseGT seems to be okayILeclipseGT seems to be okayILeclipseGT seems to be okayILeclipseGT seems to be okayILeclipseGT seems to be okayILeclipseGT seems to be okay
Quote:
you know you could just rotate the cam and crank in time to each other bring each cylinder to TDC and check that way.

I would do this as why even put the timing belt on and take the time to set the timing when you haven't leaked it down and you may (probably) have to pull the heads anyway

If I were you the first thing I'd do is leak it down
Old 07/15/2011, 05:31 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:

I would do this as why even put the timing belt on and take the time to set the timing when you haven't leaked it down and you may (probably) have to pull the heads anyway

If I were you the first thing I'd do is leak it down
Well, on this topic.I have read and searched a lot, and believe me I would rather do a leak down test first,however the manuals reads " Do Not Rotate The Cam Sprocket With belt Removed" because this is a interference engine and serious damage may occur. I can understand that because if I were to rotate the cam sprocket and the crank not timed with it, the piston/pistons may hit a valve, A free-wheeling engine has enough clearance between the
valve and piston if the cam stops and the valve remains
fully open. On the other hand, interference engines will allow
the piston and valve to collide. ,an interference engine usually sustains damage if the piston
and valve synchronization is lost.
Old 07/15/2011, 12:20 PM   #33 (permalink)
Newbie To FWDs

While this is true I think that maybe if you are careful with moving the cam at low enough speed it would not likely damage anything. your other option would be to remove the rocker arms and then you wouldn't have to worry about it, if you feel capable of doing this correctly.

I would wait and see what Bitter feels is the best method but it seems the least amount of work would be to remove the rocker arms but not sure
Old 07/15/2011, 03:10 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
While this is true I think that maybe if you are careful with moving the cam at low enough speed it would not likely damage anything. your other option would be to remove the rocker arms and then you wouldn't have to worry about it, if you feel capable of doing this correctly.

I would wait and see what Bitter feels is the best method but it seems the least amount of work would be to remove the rocker arms but not sure
thanks for the input..and I will consider your comment
I just think that maybe there should be a " How to do a timing belt install, when the belt has broken" that would help a lot, because when the belt breaks it involves a lot of moving parts, it is a totally different installation process at that point IMO, especially with the interference engines
I will keep researching
Old 07/15/2011, 06:30 PM   #35 (permalink)
passport applied for

Vehicle: 03 spyder gts
tomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by many
It's the best picture i have from my rebuild, the balance shaft on the left side has a white mark lining it up. the oil pump has a mark lining it up on the right. I bought the little tool to compress the tensioner but a screwdriver will do,i would have slapped the belt on and tried to fire it up. If the valves are bent then you are gonna be pulling the head anyways, i did say that's what i would do i don't recommend it. GL!!
Old 07/15/2011, 07:07 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsoutdoor View Post
It's the best picture i have from my rebuild, the balance shaft on the left side has a white mark lining it up. the oil pump has a mark lining it up on the right. I bought the little tool to compress the tensioner but a screwdriver will do,i would have slapped the belt on and tried to fire it up. If the valves are bent then you are gonna be pulling the head anyways, i did say that's what i would do i don't recommend it. GL!!
thanks for taking the time to put up a pic, I appreciate it!
this is my daughters car and she doesn't want to put much money into it.I will do the timing belt work for her.I also mentioned that the valves could be bent. I have to do some testing of the valves first, and if they will not hold compression, then I will not go any farther with this project because of cost.I will do the work for her and replacing valves or head is not that big of a deal for me to do,I have done this before.
I can't afford to put my own money into it because of the economy, so if it indeed needs the extra work it will have to sit for a while
I'm just trying to get it repaired for her with a limited amount of cash
thanks
Old 07/15/2011, 07:30 PM   #37 (permalink)
am cat

yea, just slap the belt on and go for it. either it fires or not. You can short cut by leaving it on the floor jack and the accessories and cover off till you know it runs.
Old 07/15/2011, 07:35 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
yea, just slap the belt on and go for it. either it fires or not. You can short cut by leaving it on the floor jack and the accessories and cover off till you know it runs.
yep, that is what I'm going to do, after I do a leak down test for each cylinder then I'll know what to do next
thanks
Old 07/15/2011, 07:46 PM   #39 (permalink)
am cat

eh don't bother. if they're bent it's not like they'll get more bent.
Old 07/17/2011, 07:58 AM   #40 (permalink)

Well good news,I completed my leak down test on each cylinder in the firing order as prescribed in the manual
All cylinders only had a 15-17% leak down,nothing to worry about, so I'm going to install the belt next week, and keep my fingers crossed, that I can get the car back on the road for my daughter
thanks for the help
Old 07/18/2011, 11:33 PM   #41 (permalink)
Newbie To FWDs

I saw this and did a double take thinking "15-17% holy $h!t". I then realized that we are talking about a streetcar. With my midget motor anything over 5 was not great and over 8 and it was time to pull the head.

But anyways, Glad to hear the good news! I hope the rest of this project goes well for you
Old 07/19/2011, 05:26 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
I saw this and did a double take thinking "15-17% holy $h!t". I then realized that we are talking about a streetcar. With my midget motor anything over 5 was not great and over 8 and it was time to pull the head.

But anyways, Glad to hear the good news! I hope the rest of this project goes well for you
you scared me! just kidding.I too would have thought the same thing had I been working on my 69 Chevelle SS 396 4sp...I would have took a dump right there
I'm hoping to get it back together this Saturday.I have to work on it after work hours which is 6:30 pm and only on weekends,hot as hell here and humid, trying to squeeze this unexpected project in, is a PITA.
Old 07/19/2011, 05:04 PM   #43 (permalink)
Retrofitter

Vehicle: 03' Eclipse GS
jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.jstewart92 is clearly one sexy bitch.
Send a message via Yahoo to jstewart92
Where are you located in GA? I have a T19 I4 too... 119k I'll be replacing ALL belts within a month.
jstewart92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/19/2011, 05:12 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstewart92 View Post
Where are you located in GA? I have a T19 I4 too... 119k I'll be replacing ALL belts within a month.
so that's what it's called "T19 I4" good to know
I'm between Fayetteville & Griffin
Old 07/21/2011, 07:04 PM   #45 (permalink)

today I got my special tool MD 998767
I was thinking for the money it would be a little larger..LOL
now if I can find a 1/4" drive, in-lb torque wrench to apply the proper amount of tension to the belt, without breaking the little tool LOL

now I do have a 3/8" drive torque wrench with in-lb, that I can put a 1/4" drive adapter to, and use that for torquing, has any one tensioned the belt using this method
Old 07/21/2011, 07:09 PM   #46 (permalink)
am cat

take the tensioner off, compress it in a vice, put the pin in, done.
Old 07/21/2011, 07:40 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
take the tensioner off, compress it in a vice, put the pin in, done.
yep, i know all about the hydraulic tensioner pin ect,I had a few autos in the past that had this type of tensioner, however this tool is supposed to be used to put tension on the belt while torquing the fixing bolt.I hope the tool dont break LOL
Old 07/21/2011, 07:44 PM   #48 (permalink)
am cat

just push the roller over with a screw driver to take up the slack and set it, it'll be fine once you pull the pin.
Old 07/21/2011, 08:11 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
just push the roller over with a screw driver to take up the slack and set it, it'll be fine once you pull the pin.
thanks for the tip!
Now I will set the #1 cylinder to TDC on the compression stroke (valves closed),

set notch in the cam sprocket pointing at the 12:00 position or aligned with rocker cover timing mark,

the crankshaft sprocket timing notch aligned with the timing mark on the front engine case,

ensure that the oil pump timing mark is aligned with the timing mark on the front of the engine,

and the oil pump counter balance weight in the correct position and locked in place.

Then install the belt around the pulleys in the correct order, tension side, then around the tension pulley, then roll over the tension pulley with a screw driver to take up the slack, torque the fixing bolt to specs,then pull the pin out of the hydraulic tensioner to set.

Rotate the belt x amount of times per the fsm and check all timing marks are aligned, if so i can button every thing up and start her up
sound right? I know I forgot something, but with all the studying I have done on this timing belt replacement, it is a bit different from the fsm once the belt breaks

Last edited by buckz6319; 07/22/2011 at 05:31 AM.
Old 07/27/2011, 08:19 PM   #50 (permalink)

need more advice, please..just now getting back to the repair job, It's hot as hell here so I took a much needed break
I got my two special tools, MD998738 (long screw) which I know, I need to push down on the tension arm, which compresses the hydraulic pushrod down/in so the grenade pin can be installed.
The belt was broken,and I'm starting from scratch, so I didn't have to use the tool MD998738. I purchased it anyways thinking I may need it for the replacement of the timing belt?

The manuals are somewhat confusing about this procedure.

If I don't need the tool MD 998738 (long screw) how do I keep the tension arm from pivoting up, when I try to tension the pulley with the other tool MD998767 which I purchased also

I purchased a new hydraulic tensioner because the one I removed was leaking.I know that I need to install it,then adjust the pulley tensioner per the manual.
I can do this, however do I need to install the MD998738 (long screw) in order to properly tension the pulley, so It will keep the tension arm from moving

I think I sound like broken record, sorry

any help will much be appreciated!.. any links to color pics of this procedure would be helpful also

thanks
Old 07/28/2011, 07:38 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsoutdoor View Post
I have a question pertaining to the post I just made

tomsoutdoor, how did you put tension on the eccentric pulley without that special tool, the long screwdriver MD998738 installed?

In your pic, I see you have the tensioner tool MD998767, which I have also, however when I use it, the tension arm pivots up at the same time I try to tension the belt.I see that you don't have the long screw installed

I'm lost on this one..

thanks for any help
Old 07/29/2011, 07:41 PM   #52 (permalink)

Ok, I found out that I don't need the tool MD998738 for the timing belt install . I figured out how to put the tension on the belt properly.

Now I need to know any tricks on how to keep the oil pump sprocket, from turning off it's mark when installing the belt? as I try to get all the slack out of the tension side

I do have the plug out of the block and screwdriver installed in the whole almost 3" , so I know the balance shaft is in the correct position, per the manual.

thanks for any help

Last edited by buckz6319; 07/29/2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07/29/2011, 07:43 PM   #53 (permalink)
am cat

From memory of a 4G69...I just held it still with a wrench and slid the belt onto the crank then double checked that the cam didn't move.
Old 07/29/2011, 07:47 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
From memory of a 4G69...I just held it still with a wrench and slid the belt onto the crank then double checked that the cam didn't move.
ok, thanks for the info..and the quick reply, that helps

that darn oil pump sprocket!
Old 07/31/2011, 03:36 PM   #55 (permalink)

thanks for the help!

I finished up the timing belt project today
The 4G63 runs well, went for a 50 mile test drive and all is good
Old 07/31/2011, 07:55 PM   #56 (permalink)

ozmitsu03 : who are you?
i did the timing belt balance shaft belt and water pump and fuel pump and crankshaft sensor and cam sensor. now vehicle wont start i get fuel spark it starts and runs for like 5 secs with starting fluid any ideas
ozmitsu03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/31/2011, 07:56 PM   #57 (permalink)
am cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmitsu03 View Post
i did the timing belt balance shaft belt and water pump and fuel pump and crankshaft sensor and cam sensor. now vehicle wont start i get fuel spark it starts and runs for like 5 secs with starting fluid any ideas
yes, make your own thread in the right section.
Old 08/17/2012, 10:55 AM   #58 (permalink)

well I though I would update this thread
I now own this 2003 Eclipse RS 2.4
I don't know what to do with it yet.I'm driving it to and from work every day and all seems well, however I do have a DTC (CEL) with a code P0421 and had that checked out
I found that both converters are bad, however not bad enough to cause a no power on acceleration yet.
I'm thinking about just gutting the cats, and running that way. I know that is not good for the environment, but I don't want to dump a lot of money into this car
I also had the DTC P0325 Knock sensor. I had a shop check that out too and the resistance is out of specs, so it needs replacing, price in not much
I may wind up selling this car at some point, but not sure yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Welcome Forums > New Members Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.