How to remove intake manifold and valve cover? - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Welcome Forums > New Members Forum
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02/06/2012, 06:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: 03 Eclipse GT
snake_ can pretty much be considered an idiot by all
How to remove intake manifold and valve cover?

Plan on getting these parts powder coated this month but the shop requires you to remove the parts and bring them in, they "just do the powder coating". How hard is it to remove these parts? A how to would be great if anyone can manage. Thanks.
snake_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02/06/2012, 07:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Swing the Hammer

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT-T
Silvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be new
You unplug the sensors and unbolt everything else.
Silvertune is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/06/2012, 07:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Vehicle: 01 GS
mitsu3g01 should be considered a regularmitsu3g01 should be considered a regularmitsu3g01 should be considered a regularmitsu3g01 should be considered a regularmitsu3g01 should be considered a regularmitsu3g01 should be considered a regularmitsu3g01 should be considered a regularmitsu3g01 should be considered a regularmitsu3g01 should be considered a regularmitsu3g01 should be considered a regularmitsu3g01 should be considered a regular
Do you have a manual? If not, i would pick one up. You plan on doing the fuel rail too?
Old 02/06/2012, 07:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've got a manual it's the one that comes with the car. Is it as simple as unplug and unbolt? I really doubt it. If anyone cares to be more specific I'd appreciate it.
Old 02/06/2012, 07:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Manual Swapped!!

Vehicle: 2003 GS Manual
Drewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by all
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake_ View Post
I've got a manual it's the one that comes with the car. Is it as simple as unplug and unbolt? I really doubt it. If anyone cares to be more specific I'd appreciate it.
He means a repair manual such as Haynes, and it really is that simple, just don't let anything get into the engine intake which will be exposed.
Drewski0523 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/06/2012, 07:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Vehicle: 01 GS
mitsu3g01 should be considered a regularmitsu3g01 should be considered a regularmitsu3g01 should be considered a regularmitsu3g01 should be considered a regularmitsu3g01 should be considered a regularmitsu3g01 should be considered a regularmitsu3g01 should be considered a regularmitsu3g01 should be considered a regularmitsu3g01 should be considered a regularmitsu3g01 should be considered a regularmitsu3g01 should be considered a regular
Yes just unbolt everything connected to it. It should take no more than 30 minutes to get the valve cover and mani off. Make sure you get a new valve cover gasket and intake manifold gasket when you put it all back together.
Old 02/06/2012, 07:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Exacerbated Member

Vehicle: 2kFsGt5sp/TbPP
WorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wide
Took of intake manifold to change spark plugs

HOW TO: Replace plugs and wires 2.0

When it comes time to put it back together are you going to ask for help searching too?

WorldWind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/06/2012, 07:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Do i need to unplug the battery, worry about fluids leaking all over the place etc? The valve cover seems simpler but i still need a little more information about what needs to be disconnected or unbolted from said parts.
Old 02/06/2012, 07:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldWind View Post
Took of intake manifold to change spark plugs

HOW TO: Replace plugs and wires 2.0

When it comes time to put it back together are you going to ask for help searching too?

If I feel like it I won't even hesitate. Lose your tone. This is the new members forum I can ask about whatever I want. Thanks to everyone else.
Old 02/06/2012, 08:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Protect this house

Vehicle: Yes
ccarrillo717 is clearly one sexy bitch.ccarrillo717 is clearly one sexy bitch.ccarrillo717 is clearly one sexy bitch.ccarrillo717 is clearly one sexy bitch.ccarrillo717 is clearly one sexy bitch.ccarrillo717 is clearly one sexy bitch.ccarrillo717 is clearly one sexy bitch.ccarrillo717 is clearly one sexy bitch.ccarrillo717 is clearly one sexy bitch.ccarrillo717 is clearly one sexy bitch.ccarrillo717 is clearly one sexy bitch.
Yay I made that how to

It's not that hard, I did it on my first try and Ill be the first to say I don't know much about cars. I still pay the dealership to change my oil
ccarrillo717 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/06/2012, 08:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

I'm just gonna jump in there and do it.. they're just the covers right it's not like I'm taking apart a carb. I'm putting working on cars past my ability but this seems like too simple of a task.
Old 02/06/2012, 08:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
(b)org banugee

Vehicle: 2008 Mazdaspeed 3
citm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to citm2000
This platform has been around 11 years. Whatever it is you ever might want to do -- odds are it's been done many times. Use the search feature and browse the garage threads. This won't take 30 min unless you've done it before and already have exactly the tools you need and know exactly which one to use on each bolt (a standard ratchet won't do the trick here). Plan on spending some time and some money getting tools. The upside -- you can keep the tools and and it will still cost less than labor at a shop, which is just money gone forever.

I wrote a pretty expansive description to fill in the gaps left by other how-to's and the shop manuals. It is here:
V6 tune up additional details

Plan on making a few trips to the hardware store unless you already have a big collection of different sized ratchets, extensions, elbows, etc.

Also learn to read the stickied forum rules at the top of every sub-forum. This thread will probably be closed soon because it doesn't follow the rules. Getting attitude with established members because they're already annoyed from thousands of prior newbs isn't a good way to get established here. The rules are at the top of every forum for a reason.
Old 02/06/2012, 08:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Redneck Yankee Mod..

Vehicle: 05 Eclipse Remix Edition
Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.Chad is God.
It's really not complex dude. Some sensors. Some bolts. That's all it really is. If you honestly can't comprehend it, take it to someone who does so your don't ruin your car.

If life is a highway, mine is missing some signs.

One of the best 3G answers ever.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/06/2012, 08:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Exacerbated Member

Vehicle: 2kFsGt5sp/TbPP
WorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wide
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake_ View Post
If I feel like it I won't even hesitate. Lose your tone. This is the new members forum I can ask about whatever I want. Thanks to everyone else.

The reason I asked is because I have been trying to decide whether the trouble of taking the time to take pictures and doing the extensive writing for a comprehensive How-To on the take down and reassembly of the upper engine systems for the 6G72 would be of value. I have done it a number of times and plan to do it again soon.

This is my 00GT fed spec. and because I DO run the EGR the plenum and intake do need occasional cleaning.

Thanks for helping me decide.
WorldWind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/06/2012, 08:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

Sorry thought you were trying to get wise. I have a shit load of tools in my garage I'm going to do it this week I'll post shots of the powder coated finished product once complete.
Old 02/06/2012, 09:00 PM   #16 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2011 F150 Lariat
Shep03GS : who are you?
I just did this a couple weeks ago on a 2.4L. Removed the intake, not powder coat it. I have a couple suggestions.

1. Go to the 3G General discussion, and you'll find the sticky for a service manual. Intake removal is in Chapter 11D.

2. Read the procedure, and become familliar with it.

3. Get the car up on jack stands. Easier on the back.

4. Get some freezer bags and a Sharpie. Bag and tag everything you take off.

5. Use a digital camera and take lots of pictures. Especially pics just before you disconnect or remove something.

6. If you remove the thermostat, put it in a cup of antifreeze. Keeps it from drying out. Don't ask how I know this.

7. Follow the service manual step by step.

8. 10, 12, and 14mm Flex Sockets come in handy, as well as various extensions and a short handle rachet.

Good luck.

Last edited by Shep03GS; 02/06/2012 at 09:08 PM.
Shep03GS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/06/2012, 09:10 PM   #17 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2011 F150 Lariat
Shep03GS : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldWind View Post
The reason I asked is because I have been trying to decide whether the trouble of taking the time to take pictures and doing the extensive writing for a comprehensive How-To on the take down and reassembly of the upper engine systems for the 6G72 would be of value. I have done it a number of times and plan to do it again soon.

This is my 00GT fed spec. and because I DO run the EGR the plenum and intake do need occasional cleaning.

Thanks for helping me decide.
Very nice!
Shep03GS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Welcome Forums > New Members Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.