Premium gas? - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Welcome Forums > New Members Forum
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02/29/2012, 05:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 eclipse gt spyder
Michael3g : who are you?Michael3g : who are you?
Premium gas?

Probably a dumb question. But do the gt's take premium gas? I've been using regular but my wife's has a sticker that says premium only.... Confused

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Michael3g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02/29/2012, 05:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Vehicle: '03 Eclipse GTS
clem : who are you?clem : who are you?clem : who are you?
You can use either one, but might lose a little performance with lower octane.

I'll leave the highly technical discussion about anti-knock sensors and whatnot to someone more knowledgeables
clem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/29/2012, 05:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
TxTuning.com

Vehicle: '13 Wrx
Tx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wide
Use premium only, just as the sticker says. The vehicle is tuned for that octane of fuel. A few more dollars a tank will net you better fuel economy and engine health in the long run.
Old 02/29/2012, 05:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks, I always spend the extra $ on 93 octane. I feel better now
Old 02/29/2012, 05:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clem View Post
You can use either one, but might lose a little performance with lower octane.

I'll leave the highly technical discussion about anti-knock sensors and whatnot to someone more knowledgeables
I withdraw this comment... I believe I heard the "Car Talk" guys on the radio say something along these lines, but I would trust what Tx4Codeman says far more than that. (should have kept my e-mouth shut)
Old 02/29/2012, 06:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Swing the Hammer

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT-T
Silvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be new
If you open up a factory ROM and see the difference between the amount of fuel it adds for premium and non-premium cases you would be more then inspired enough to get premium.

You'd have the same result if you opened up a 6g72 after 200k miles of premium and another with 200k of 87. Actually the one with 87 probably wouldn't make it to 200k.
Silvertune is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/29/2012, 06:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
TxTuning.com

Tx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wide
A lower rating of octane fuel will be more prone to detonation. Can't be a good thing over a long period of use.
Old 02/29/2012, 06:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Manual Swapped!!

Vehicle: 2003 GS Manual
Drewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx4Codeman View Post
A lower rating of octane fuel will be more prone to detonation. Can't be a good thing over a long period of use.
Does the same apply to the 4g64?
Drewski0523 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/29/2012, 06:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Protect this house

Vehicle: 2001 GT 3.8 6G75 NM
GTmitsu is recognized club-wideGTmitsu is recognized club-wideGTmitsu is recognized club-wideGTmitsu is recognized club-wideGTmitsu is recognized club-wideGTmitsu is recognized club-wideGTmitsu is recognized club-wideGTmitsu is recognized club-wideGTmitsu is recognized club-wideGTmitsu is recognized club-wideGTmitsu is recognized club-wide
So is it 91 or 93 octane?

258whp/274wtq N/M 6G75
March 2014 Car of the Month
GTmitsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/29/2012, 06:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 Ford Mustang
YoungDude : who are you?
Quote:
Yup that'll cause damage in the combustion chamber
YoungDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/29/2012, 06:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
TxTuning.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski0523 View Post
Does the same apply to the 4g64?
Stick with the manufactures recommendation. As I said the factory Rom is tuned with that in mind. I've had more than one vehicle come to me for tuning and seen poor results from datalogs on their factory Rom. Turned out they were using regular 87. 4 cyl guys can stick with the recommended octane as their Rom isnt tuned as aggressively.
Old 02/29/2012, 06:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Swing the Hammer

Silvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be new
Its rated for 91 Alex, but if you were to go all out on a build or use boost you might as well stick to 93 if you can.

The biggest problem over prolonged use that I've seen over the 30 some 6g7's I've pulled apart is the carbon build up. I've come across 200k motors that are pretty darn clean for the mileage and I've also pulled ones apart where the EGR pipe is 100% solid carbon buildup. It makes the car run like shit which in turn causes even more build up and shittier running until someone either dumps the car at the yard or develops a catastrophic problem that requires a rebuild or new motor all together.
Old 02/29/2012, 06:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
passport applied for

Vehicle: 03 spyder gts
tomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by many
Quote:
Use premium only, just as the sticker says. The vehicle is tuned for that octane of fuel. A few more dollars a tank will net you better fuel economy and engine health in the long run.
Think what you want but i have switched my Jeep over to premium 93 octane and even though my mileage is not much better i noticed that it runs smoother,like mentioned a few bucks a tank.
Old 02/29/2012, 06:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Manual Swapped!!

Drewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by allDrewski0523 seems to be well-liked by all
I have been contemplating switching but I think I will what does it come out to for 14 gallons, 5 bucks? That cheaper than a subway sub
Old 02/29/2012, 06:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Swing the Hammer

Quote:
I have been contemplating switching but I think I will what does it come out to for 14 gallons, 5 bucks? That cheaper than a subway sub
How big a difference in price is there for you guys? It's like 30 cents over here for 93 over 87. At a 100% fill up of 16 gallons that's only 4.80.
Old 02/29/2012, 06:34 PM   #16 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2004 WRX
Got Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by all
Quote:
I have heard that it isn't good to run above 87 in the I4's.

My Old 2001 Eclipse
Got Rice Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/29/2012, 06:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Manual Swapped!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertune View Post
How big a difference in price is there for you guys? It's like 30 cents over here for 93 over 87. At a 100% fill up of 16 gallons that's only 4.80.
Yup same. Fuel light comes on and it only take 14.5 gal to fill. Talk about conservative
Old 02/29/2012, 06:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
Manual Swapped!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Rice Boy View Post
I have heard that it isn't good to run above 87 in the I4's.
That is what's reccommended, regular which is 87
Old 02/29/2012, 06:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
Swing the Hammer

What could be wrong with higher quality fuel..?
Old 02/29/2012, 06:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
Sexy 3g!

Vehicle: 03 GTS
03gtsaz : who are you?
Quote:
Thanks, I always spend the extra $ on 93 octane. I feel better now
Lucky! I only get 91 here in AZ.
03gtsaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/29/2012, 06:59 PM   #21 (permalink)
Don't call me man.

Vehicle: 2002 Stratus R/T
StratRod : who are you?StratRod : who are you?StratRod : who are you?StratRod : who are you?
What confuses me about this is my stratus says nothing about using premium fuel in it. (unless it does say to and I haven't seen it)

I always use mid grade when they have it, which is 89 I believe. So am I supposed to be using premium in my 3.0L too?
Old 02/29/2012, 07:26 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03gtsaz View Post
Lucky! I only get 91 here in AZ.
No V-Power??

I go for Shell most of the time, sometimes Sunoco. Around here at least, their only option over 89 is 93. Some other brands, Mobil maybe, or generic actually have "91" but I rarely go to those places.
Old 02/29/2012, 07:35 PM   #23 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 eclipse gt
dalesocks : who are you?
Send a message via MSN to dalesocks
I know our engine is tuned on 93oct but I run 87octane, no knock or any thing but then again I almost never go full throttle. And my car has 172k miles on stock engine.
dalesocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/29/2012, 07:49 PM   #24 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 Eclipse GT
patriotred01 : who are you?patriotred01 : who are you?patriotred01 : who are you?
I always use premium in mine. Someone else drove it and put regular in it once, and the SES light came on, and it ran rough, so it does make a difference.
patriotred01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/29/2012, 07:53 PM   #25 (permalink)

Vehicle: 04 midnight blue eclipse
04blueEclipse : who are you?
I didn't think 91 would do anything in our I4's since they are so small, i heard you only get performance advantages if you have V8's and up? But i also heard 91 cleans your engine better than 87 or 89? I read through this thread but its mainly about the V6's...
04blueEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/29/2012, 07:56 PM   #26 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 Eclipse GT
patriotred01 : who are you?patriotred01 : who are you?patriotred01 : who are you?
It's the higher compression ratio that requires the higher octane.
patriotred01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/29/2012, 08:02 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratRod View Post
What confuses me about this is my stratus says nothing about using premium fuel in it. (unless it does say to and I haven't seen it)

I always use mid grade when they have it, which is 89 I believe. So am I supposed to be using premium in my 3.0L too?

Do you have the owner's manual? Check it out, but I would think with the same engine you would have the same specs. which is 91 octane or higher, as someone mentioned earlier.
Old 02/29/2012, 08:33 PM   #28 (permalink)
Don't call me man.

StratRod : who are you?StratRod : who are you?StratRod : who are you?StratRod : who are you?
Quote:
Do you have the owner's manual? Check it out, but I would think with the same engine you would have the same specs. which is 91 octane or higher, as someone mentioned earlier.
I have looked through the owners manual in the past and didn't see anything about using premium. but my car is stored 80 miles away so I can't re-check at the moment. I'm just thinking along the same lines, it's the same motor I don't know why it wouldn't be the same specs.
Old 02/29/2012, 08:43 PM   #29 (permalink)
Sold 3G, Got a 4S!

Vehicle: '06 Scion tC
HEATHB4R : who are you?HEATHB4R : who are you?HEATHB4R : who are you?HEATHB4R : who are you?HEATHB4R : who are you?
Is the "Premium Only" on the gas cap??

Its not there on my 00 GT...

Im using 93 now, but i did use 87 for 2 weeks.

Realized I can cough up another $5 for a healthier engine.

Listed in the Owners Manual maybe???
HEATHB4R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/29/2012, 08:47 PM   #30 (permalink)
am cat

Vehicle: 2007 Camaro
Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StratRod View Post
I have looked through the owners manual in the past and didn't see anything about using premium. but my car is stored 80 miles away so I can't re-check at the moment. I'm just thinking along the same lines, it's the same motor I don't know why it wouldn't be the same specs.
it calls for 87 octane, different tune I guess.
2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/29/2012, 08:51 PM   #31 (permalink)
Electrify

Vehicle: 2001 Black Eclipse GT
grfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by all
I had regular gas in my GT for like the first few days I got it and one morning I heard some engine knock. I switched to premium and the knock never came back. Better to be safe.
grfft3r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/29/2012, 08:57 PM   #32 (permalink)
TxTuning.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter View Post
it calls for 87 octane, different tune I guess.

Compared an 01 Stratus, 01 Eclipse, and 03 Galant v6 and all have identical Fuel & Timing maps.
Old 02/29/2012, 08:58 PM   #33 (permalink)
am cat

Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
Quote:
Compared an 01 Stratus, 01 Eclipse, and 03 Galant v6 and all have identical Fuel & Timing maps.
AllData shows for an 02 Strat coupe V6, 87. Same year 3G V6, 91 or better. Weird.
Old 02/29/2012, 09:05 PM   #34 (permalink)
Swing the Hammer

EPA mileage estimates are the same too.
Old 02/29/2012, 09:17 PM   #35 (permalink)
am cat

Would not be the first time I've caught AllData being dead fucking wrong.
Old 02/29/2012, 10:16 PM   #36 (permalink)
Don't call me man.

Atleast I don't feel like a stupid girl questioning this now.

I could swear that I didn't find anything in the owners manual about using a higher octane. there is also nothing on the gas cap or door, but that doesn't really mean anything.
I also didn't have any knocks or pings or odd engine noises when I did use 87. My car is also fairly low mileage yet, if that makes any difference.

Edit... I looked up the specs on edmunds.com and it lists regular unleaded for both the 3.0 and the 2.4 in the stratus coupes, but I have no idea how reliable that information is.

Last edited by StratRod; 02/29/2012 at 10:27 PM.
StratRod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/01/2012, 02:00 PM   #37 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT
NJEclipse : who are you?
When I bought my 3g I didnt know if it needed premium. I have a 2000GT but I figured it would but had no real proof. My friends 98 SVT Cobra Mustang as "Premium Only" on the fuel gauge and on the speedo right in your face. So I had a buddy look it up and he said that it was supposed to use 91 octane, but that the cars computer could detect if you were using lesser octane gas and compensate for that. Not sure how true that is. Now I run 89 octane because no stations near me run 91 but should I start using the 93 as soon as possible??
NJEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/01/2012, 02:10 PM   #38 (permalink)
TxTuning.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJEclipse View Post
So I had a buddy look it up and he said that it was supposed to use 91 octane, but that the cars computer could detect if you were using lesser octane gas and compensate for that. Not sure how true that is.
Our ECU's contain two sets of maps for both fuel and timing, being a Low Octane and High Octane Fuel & Timing maps. The ECU will reference the Low Octane maps under high counts of knock or with the lower octane fuel. These maps are more "Retarded" and "Rich" to help the engine run safer, while sacrificing performance.
Old 03/01/2012, 03:16 PM   #39 (permalink)
Swing the Hammer

If you're running an 00 you really should be running premium. The high octane map is way more aggressive in both timing and fueling then any other year. When I went logging with my 72 knock was very common, I had 2 counts sporadically at WOT pretty much every pull and that was using 91. The older GT's have whimpier maps and are more forgiving in terms of blowing the motor up but performance will suffer in either case.
Old 03/01/2012, 04:15 PM   #40 (permalink)
(b)org banugee

Vehicle: 2008 Mazdaspeed 3
citm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to citm2000
There are a few nuggets of truth in here and a whole lot of crap. I'm surprised that the stratus 3.0 doesn't call for 91 or higher. If I had one, I'd definitely be putting premium in it. Other than that, everyone should use the factory recommended fuel for their engine.

The I4 guys should use 87, and the V6 guys 91 or higher. It's really that simple.
Old 03/01/2012, 05:04 PM   #41 (permalink)

Vehicle: 04 midnight blue eclipse
04blueEclipse : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by citm2000 View Post
There are a few nuggets of truth in here and a whole lot of crap. I'm surprised that the stratus 3.0 doesn't call for 91 or higher. If I had one, I'd definitely be putting premium in it. Other than that, everyone should use the factory recommended fuel for their engine.

The I4 guys should use 87, and the V6 guys 91 or higher. It's really that simple.
Would it be bad for an I4 to use 91? Or is it just a wast of money?
04blueEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/01/2012, 05:52 PM   #42 (permalink)
(b)org banugee

Vehicle: 2008 Mazdaspeed 3
citm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to citm2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blueEclipse View Post
Would it be bad for an I4 to use 91? Or is it just a wast of money?
It's mainly just a waste, though the engine isn't factory-tuned for the higher octane. People have the wrong idea that it somehow gives their car magic unicorn fart pixie dust extra power. It's just slower burning to prevent detonation in a higher compression engine (the V6 is higher compression than the I4). Why would you need that in the I4?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Welcome Forums > New Members Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.