What are your takes on NO2 (46g4) - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Welcome Forums > New Members Forum
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01/21/2013, 11:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: '00Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Vayro : who are you?
Send a message via Skype™ to Vayro
Red face What are your takes on NO2 (46g4)

I've been lurking on this forum for a while, here is my first post. I've read some threads on NO2, but what are your personal opinions on running wet NO2 kit on a stock 4g64?

Do you think that it's just a "poor man's boost"?

As everyone knows our 4G64 can handle up to 15psi of boost, assuming that you've taken the proper measures to tune your ignition timing, fuel injectors (i know it's unnecessary for wet kits), and drop a couple spark plug stages, what is your opinion on large shot sizes?

In your personal opinion, do you think running NO2 is ricey is in bad taste?

I've been seriously thinking about purchasing a Zex wet kit (the one that activates at full throttle), the rpm window switch, and remote valve opener. My hopes it to run a 75hp nozzle. Opinions and experiences are welcome :]

Last edited by Vayro; 01/21/2013 at 03:58 PM. Reason: title error
Vayro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01/24/2013, 07:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Vehicle: 03 Eclipse GS-T
Boost 44203 : who are you?Boost 44203 : who are you?Boost 44203 : who are you?
I say just go turbo just for the soul fact that once you use a bottle you'll only have to buy more. It might give you a "cool" factor, but the gains of it on a stock block should really be no greater than force fed air.

Also how did you come up with the stock block holding 15? I was always told 12, hence I tunes mine to 8 to be safe.
Boost 44203 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/24/2013, 08:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Soon to be 4G64K-T!

Vehicle: 2001 Eclipse GS
ryandiaz440 seems to be okayryandiaz440 seems to be okayryandiaz440 seems to be okayryandiaz440 seems to be okayryandiaz440 seems to be okayryandiaz440 seems to be okayryandiaz440 seems to be okay
@boost 44203: there's actually quite a few guys running between 15 and 20 psi as a daily. One of wich is voodoo at 18 I believe, another is smed with 17psi on an auto. It all depends on how well the motor was taken care of.

@OP: I would also stick with turboing the car, for the same reasons as boost 44203 posted. Again it's your car.
ryandiaz440 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/24/2013, 01:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Vehicle: 03 Eclipse GS-T
Boost 44203 : who are you?Boost 44203 : who are you?Boost 44203 : who are you?
Re: What are your takes on NO2 (46g4)

18 on stock block? I mean if so that's awesome because I could turn it up a tad. :] ha.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Boost 44203 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/24/2013, 01:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Swing the Hammer

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT-T
Silvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be new
THE AMOUNT OF BOOST YOU'RE RUNNING IS NOT A CHOICE OR SET AMOUNT. IT IS CONSEQUENTIAL.

The amount of boost you run depends largely on the turbo and breathing mods, not just the health of the motor. If you were to put a more properly sized turbo on the 4g64 you'd be lucky to get 15 pounds into it before it went up in flame. You have to research your setup, make some choices and then go to the dyno and see what you can get. Torque, heat, knock and RPM are what break things.

Air flow dictates the first, the more air you pack into there the more torque you'll make. Since different setups flow different amounts the BEST thing to do is plan a setup that will run your power goals (if you want to run stock block limit the stock block limit power levels) EFFICIENTLY so there is minimal stress on the setup. An efficient, appropriately designed setup will make more power on less boost.

Heat results from inefficiency and making power. Naturally making good output is going to heat the internals up way more than stock levels. Since these blocks are designed for stock power levels the clearances are all very tight, boosting the crap out of it makes things expand more than planned for which runs you into problems. Overexpanding rings due to heat cracking pistons isn't a problem the 4 popper guys have had like the V6's but since the motors are naturally aspirated from the factory the ring packs sit way up high and without a good tune and good exhaust setup you WILL fry them. Exhaust gas temps go down with an efficient turbo and good primary hotside, a lot of attentions needs to be payed there.

Knock. We all know what knock is and what it does to motors. Fuel choice and a tune are going to influence how far you can go within these parameters given a certain mechanical setup.

RPW. Stock redline is 6k for the 4 popper, that ain't much and the truth is Mitsubishi doesn't balance these motors for shit. Between this and the choking manifold revving it way up won't be the in cards. You have to plan for your power output within the parameters set by your torque limit and how high you can rev.

Who said wet kits don't need tuning? That's a load of crap. You increase compression in any situation and you can start knocking, particularly if it's a crappy nitrous setup as 90% of them are. Besides, the motor needs a tune in stock form. If you're going to drop $500 for a GOOD nitrous setup that won't blow your load you might as well spend then 150$ it takes to get a good tune on it at the same time.

All this aside, the 4 popper is worthless without boost. A 75 shot will put you at stock 3 liter power levels and that is about as formidable as a dusty fart in a nursing home. For what it is, it takes boost VERY well and they can be boosted for pennies on the dollar. If you really want speed that's the way you're going to have to go.
Silvertune is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Welcome Forums > New Members Forum

Tags
46g4, kit, nitrous, wet, zex

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.