Broken Parking Pawl???? - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Other Automotive Discussion > Other Cars
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10/27/2005, 09:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
am cat

Vehicle: 2007 Camaro
Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
Broken Parking Pawl????

my stepmoms 97 taurus 4spd auto when in park rolls away. earlier tonight she said she went into reverse and the car shook and stuttered and it sounded like something was growling/dragging under the car. then it did the same in forward and now it just makes a grinding sound in drive. when rolling in drive it makes the sound then in nuetral the sound lessens. i know the pawl or part of its mechanism broke. is the grinding when in drive some of the fragments in the torque converter? is it OK to drive to a shop about 30 minutes away?

this is one of those things where i just want to yell "HOW THE FUCK DID YOU DO THAT?" like when she tore open the trans pan and drove it till it "stopping going and that made me really mad"

this may be something i cant blame on her piss poor driving and being a woman.
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10/27/2005, 10:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
More guns than sense

Vehicle: 2011 V-Dub GTI
kabob is God.kabob is God.kabob is God.kabob is God.kabob is God.kabob is God.kabob is God.kabob is God.kabob is God.kabob is God.kabob is God.
Send a message via AIM to kabob Send a message via MSN to kabob
What the hell is a pawl?
kabob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10/27/2005, 10:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
am cat

Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabob
What the hell is a pawl?
http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/enc...rking_pawl.htm

its a mechanical term boobie.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...=Google+Search

and that 1st link explains why i have the habit of setting the parking brake on cars no matter what the transmission is.
Old 10/27/2005, 11:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
More guns than sense

Vehicle: 2011 V-Dub GTI
kabob is God.kabob is God.kabob is God.kabob is God.kabob is God.kabob is God.kabob is God.kabob is God.kabob is God.kabob is God.kabob is God.
Send a message via AIM to kabob Send a message via MSN to kabob
Thanks. I know about as much concerning automatic transmissions as Joe Blow.
kabob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10/27/2005, 11:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
am cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabob
Thanks. I know about as much concerning automatic transmissions as Joe Blow.
im learning as i need to know. she may be covered by one or more of 3 recalls affecting the parking pawl *crosses fingers* ive never liked ford trans axles...now i have a reason to not like them.

one of the recalls on her car is for "correct fuel tank replacement" a number of 96's had the flipping wrong fuel tank installed. people ask why i dislike ford, this is one reason.
Old 10/28/2005, 07:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
11/3/04 - 6/11/06

Vehicle: 2005 GTO
Doric paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.Doric paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.Doric paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.Doric paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.Doric paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.Doric paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.Doric paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.Doric paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.Doric paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.Doric paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.Doric paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.
Chances are good that the transmission is already fux0red and will need to bre rebuilt/replaced anyhow; go ahead and drive to the shop. Hope it makes it.

I agree regarding the parking pawl; If the car is rolling in Park, it's not doing what it's supposed to do.
Doric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10/28/2005, 12:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
am cat

well the ford dealer isnt even a mile away. shes gonna go up there and see if shes covered under any of the 3 recalls. if she is, cool. if not.....

do you think its possible that the grinding sound is a peice of the pawl in the torque converter? since it grinds when the car is going in D but when i go into N the sound lessens and stops. what parts stop spinning in nuetral that are spinning in drive?
Old 10/28/2005, 12:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
11/3/04 - 6/11/06

Doric paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.Doric paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.Doric paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.Doric paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.Doric paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.Doric paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.Doric paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.Doric paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.Doric paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.Doric paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.Doric paypaled $25 to ED for this rep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter
well the ford dealer isnt even a mile away. shes gonna go up there and see if shes covered under any of the 3 recalls. if she is, cool. if not.....

do you think its possible that the grinding sound is a peice of the pawl in the torque converter? since it grinds when the car is going in D but when i go into N the sound lessens and stops. what parts stop spinning in nuetral that are spinning in drive?
Gosh - a number of parts. How well do you know an automatic transmission?
Old 10/28/2005, 12:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
am cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doric
Gosh - a number of parts. How well do you know an automatic transmission?
uuhhmmm...its got lots of little passages, some soleniods, a planetary gearset, some shafts, and a tq converter. and all the shit moves and stuff happens and my car goes vroom then goes (slowly).

and thats pretty much it. i have a very elementary grasp of how they work and how tq converters work but not a good understanding. i havent taken any trans classes yet.
Old 10/28/2005, 12:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
11/3/04 - 6/11/06

The distance between the torque converter and the pump bearing is miniscule - like thousandths of an inch. If you have metal tumbling around the torque converter (or in the torque converter), then you can count on both it and the pump being trashed.

Additionally, the parking pawl is generally attached to or shares components with the valvebody, which is a very, very sensitive component of an automatic transmission.

I guess what I'm saying is that if the symptoms have gotten this bad, then the trans is little more than dead weight at this point.
Old 10/28/2005, 01:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
am cat

awesome she abuses the crap out of it, i knew it would die somewhat soon.

when shes pissed she flys down the driveway in R, slams it into D while still rolling slightly, then slams the gas pedal. the car just lurches for a second then goes. now when she accels from a stop it slips a little in 1st gear and after the torn trans pan and total loss of fluid...

she ran over a big median and heard this horrid grinding sound on the bottom of the car. like any woman whos pissed (i use this broadly, we know your woman is cool) she mashed the acclerator and muscled over the median then just kept driving...until in the middle of traffic the car "it just wont go god damnit!! i press the gas and it wont go it just sits there in the little D and wont go!!" well after that the shop that "fixed" her car said she didnt need a trans rebuild...she drove almost 3 or 4 miles with gushing fluid till it ran out totally and the car stopped doing 40-50mph the whole time.

could that incident about 6 or 8 months ago have caused this problem now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Other Automotive Discussion > Other Cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.