How To: Remove/Check/Replace your ECU - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Eclipse Garage > Performance
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04/11/2010, 07:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Corner Carver

Vehicle: BMW 330i
mko9 has a few friends heremko9 has a few friends heremko9 has a few friends heremko9 has a few friends heremko9 has a few friends heremko9 has a few friends heremko9 has a few friends heremko9 has a few friends heremko9 has a few friends here
How To: Remove/Check/Replace your ECU

After spending a good 3 or 4 hours disassembling the glove box and half the ventalation system, my brother and I learned that this can actually be done in about 10min by removing one bolt and one piece of plastic.

1. Disconnect your battery

2. The ECU is attached to the firewall at the front of the passenger side footwell, behind the glove box. In the picture below, you can see the one thing that stands between you and glory. The scoop looking vent is all that blocks access to the ECU. The only fitting is the small panel retainer to the lower left. I managed to get a screwdriver under it a pry it out, but they are pretty flimsy, you might break it. If you can get something small behind it you can push the center post back out, then pop it out.

The vent itself is only about 6" tall, and just pops onto another plastic piece farther up. You should be able to wiggle it off. If not, you can remove the glove box (see thread: HOW TO: Change cabin air filter) then reach through with one hand to hold onto the upper piece while you pull off the lower piece.

3. Now you have access to the ECU. It is a black box about 4" square. there will be 3 (or 4?) wiring harnesses plugged in on the bottom. I have a '00 fed-spec GT w/5-speed, so there were 3. The inboard one is blue, the middle one is orange, and the outboard one is green. Just push the little tab and wiggle them out. None of them are were interchangable, so don't worry about labeling them or anything. The only thing holding it in place now is a single bolt the has a couple of grounds attached to it. On my car it was just below the edge of the carpet, out of sight. Undo the bolt and the ECU assemply should slide down with no problems.

4. The black box is attached to a metal backing plate. Where it wraps around the black box, there are tabs as you can see in the pic below. Just wedge the metal bits out a little bit and you should be able to easily pull the metal plate off the ECU box.

5. Now you need to pop the case open to slide the ECU out. There are tabs on either side. I just wedged a flathead screwdriver over the tab in the middle of each side then pried the ECU out. It came out pretty easy.

6. The processor chip is the square chip. You can see the identifier circled in the pic below. Apparently, this ECU cannot be reflashed. If it said MH7202F then I would be good to go.

7. To put it, or a replacement, back in just reverse the steps.
'04 BMW 330i (ZHP)
'01 Mercedes SLK320 Sport
'02 Mercedes G500

'96 Nissan Skyline GT-R (R33) - SOLD :(

Last edited by mko9; 09/12/2010 at 10:45 AM. Reason: spelling
mko9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04/11/2010, 09:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
EZT
FearIsTheMindKiller

Vehicle: 2009 370z
EZT seems to be well-liked by allEZT seems to be well-liked by allEZT seems to be well-liked by allEZT seems to be well-liked by allEZT seems to be well-liked by allEZT seems to be well-liked by allEZT seems to be well-liked by allEZT seems to be well-liked by allEZT seems to be well-liked by allEZT seems to be well-liked by allEZT seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to EZT
Good how-to my man.

"All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted"
EZT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/11/2010, 10:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 eclipse gt
black3gks : who are you?black3gks : who are you?black3gks : who are you?
this will sure come in handy for me in a few months when i do my ecu swap
black3gks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/11/2010, 10:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
R.I.P. silverside

Vehicle: 01 GT
Pace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by all
im going to note that it is a TIGHT FIT coming out, so getting it in is twice as much of a bitch, just be patient. And dont crush any wires

Members Ride....Check it out
Pace187 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/11/2010, 10:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
MIVEC?

Vehicle: 02 GT 3.8 L 6g75M Powered
silverside seems to be okaysilverside seems to be okaysilverside seems to be okaysilverside seems to be okaysilverside seems to be okaysilverside seems to be okay
Send a message via AIM to silverside
if you remove the short vent section (top of the first pic) that connects the blower to the main duct system its even easier to pull it out on the side. thats the way i do it. its like an extra 4 screws.

My Sale Thread http://www.club3g.com/forum/automoti...-gt-parts.html
My Build Thread http://www.club3g.com/forum/members-...ml#post2671626
silverside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/11/2010, 11:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
R.I.P. silverside

Pace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by allPace187 seems to be well-liked by all
so what do you do if your ecu has no numbers on it like mine, this is my big issue, i have no idea if im flashable and i want to tune the 74 when i finish my swap

Old 04/12/2010, 12:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
EZT
FearIsTheMindKiller

Vehicle: 2009 370z
EZT seems to be well-liked by allEZT seems to be well-liked by allEZT seems to be well-liked by allEZT seems to be well-liked by allEZT seems to be well-liked by allEZT seems to be well-liked by allEZT seems to be well-liked by allEZT seems to be well-liked by allEZT seems to be well-liked by allEZT seems to be well-liked by allEZT seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to EZT
I guess you can try and flash it Pace! lol

"All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted"
EZT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/12/2010, 12:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
R.I.P. silverside

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZT View Post
I guess you can try and flash it Pace! lol
thats the plan, but i have zero experience using the software so i dont even know what i should be expecting, il just deal with it when it comes time. Swap is currently on hold anyways

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Eclipse Garage > Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.