HOW TO: Fix SES Error Code P0421 for about $5 bucks - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Eclipse Garage > Performance
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

Old 01/26/2006, 10:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Puma, Like a Big Cat

Vehicle: 2002 Eclipse RS
3g_clips_rs : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to 3g_clips_rs Send a message via Yahoo to 3g_clips_rs
HOW TO: Fix SES Error Code P0421 for about $5 bucks

This fix is pretty hard to find. I've had people give it to me in a link to other forums before. I figure since I just got done doing it, i'd post it here to help others.

One big point that I discovered during this research. DO NOT EVER GO TO DEALER! They love to fuck you in the wallet. Go to Advanced Auto Parts, PepBoys, Autozone, O'reilly's, etc. and they'll do a FREE code check and give you a print out. If you indead have P0421 this can help. Dealers want $50ish to do that!

This fix will basically get rid of a SES due to error code P0421 (Warm Up Catalyst Below Threshold (Bank 1)) caused by either a test pipe/down pipe (No Cat) or a High Flow Cat. When this light comes on from your install of a new exhaust/header/etc, be aware that this has no effect on the performance of your car. its just a stupid reminder that the o2 sensor is finding a problem involving something to do with the stock catalytic converter. Yes, by the way, an o2 Sim would do the trick too, but why spend upwards of $50 and have to deal with the cost/install/and problems associated with that kind of fix when you can just do this for about $5 bucks?

Pre-Install
- You might have space for only 1 spark plug anti-fouler, sometimes using 1 will work, sometimes not.
- Having an electric drill helps out tremendously, those battery operated ones dont have that much power; they will still work but will be a pain
- This may still not solve your problem of the light; a small amount of people that try this 'quick fix' still cant get the light to go off, this could be due to having multiple error codes. It SHOULD fix P0421.

STEP 1
-purchase 1 package of 2 spark plug anti foulers at your local auto parts store
-18 mm size
-made by HELP! (Part #42002)

STEP 2
-disconnect the negative terminal on your battery. this will reset your ecu
-take one of the anti foulers and drill out its center using a 1/2 bit, this will increase its hole size and allow your stock o2 sensor to fit. If you can only fit one under there, use this one.

STEP 3
-screw the drilled spark plug anti-fouler on top of the original
-be sure to use some kind of anti-seize on the treads. in case you need to remove your fix with ease

STEP 4
-jack the car up or use a lift
-unscrew your stock o2 sensor and place the foulers in
-use anti seize on the threads
-clean your o2 (by wiping it off with a paper towel DO NOT GET IT WET!)

STEP 5
-reinstall your o2 sensor
-use anti seize on the threads

STEP 6
-reconnect your battery (Resets your ECU)
-for only about $5, and half an hour, you have solved code P0421 (Mitsubishi would have charged you an arm, a leg, and your 1st born child to do this)
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instatly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another which states that this has already happened.

See my eclipse at:www.cardomain.com/ride/2101624
3g_clips_rs is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Eclipse Garage > Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.