unclogging heater core? - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01/10/2008, 09:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 Eclipse GT
NitroMaN89 : who are you?
Send a message via MSN to NitroMaN89
unclogging heater core?

my heater doesnt work very well and its warmish if i have it on 2 but if i put it on 4 it gets luke warm on the passenger side. So i decided i would try to flush the heater core and i searched and searched on this site and i found out i had to use a garden hose. so do I need to buy an adapter or can I just shove on the hose n it'll put water through?also since its not distilled water wouldnt it corrode it after a while since the water is going to be in it after i try to unclog it?also i read it could be my water pump which one would it be?
NitroMaN89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01/10/2008, 09:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dover White Pearl RS

Vehicle: 2003 RS Sporty
kidney_bean seems to be okaykidney_bean seems to be okaykidney_bean seems to be okaykidney_bean seems to be okaykidney_bean seems to be okaykidney_bean seems to be okaykidney_bean seems to be okay
Send a message via Yahoo to kidney_bean
Have you tried bleeding the air out of the system first? That's the usual culprit to low heat conditions...
Invidia N1 Cat-Back
13" LS1/Cobra Brakes
KYB AGX/TEIN S-Techs
ST Rear Sway Bar
GT Front Strut Bar
18" Black Racing Pro N-1 Wheels
Sonar Projectors w/4300K HID
Sportronic Conversion
AVIC D3/XM Radio/NavTraffic
Black TYC Tails
GT Side Skirts

Ready To Install
RMDSM Front Sway Bar
Firm front; poly rear mounts
5pc Black Grillecraft
kidney_bean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/10/2008, 11:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

did that already it helped a lil but when its like 0 or lower it has basically no heat at all and when im stopped at a stoplight i get no heat compared to a lil heat driving. i got 70k miles on it and the guy i bought it from only drove it in the summer so im thinking the heater was barely used so it has a bunch of junk in it.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Dover White Pearl RS

Vehicle: 2003 RS Sporty
kidney_bean seems to be okaykidney_bean seems to be okaykidney_bean seems to be okaykidney_bean seems to be okaykidney_bean seems to be okaykidney_bean seems to be okaykidney_bean seems to be okay
Send a message via Yahoo to kidney_bean
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroMaN89 View Post
did that already it helped a lil but when its like 0 or lower it has basically no heat at all and when im stopped at a stoplight i get no heat compared to a lil heat driving. i got 70k miles on it and the guy i bought it from only drove it in the summer so im thinking the heater was barely used so it has a bunch of junk in it.
It shouldn't have "a bunch of gunk in it"...have you checked/replaced your radiator cap or thermostat? If those are good and you're sure you got all the air out (sometimes it takes a few times to bleed it), then the next usual problem for what you're describing is to replace the water pump.

As for your original question about flushing the fluid though, you can't just put a hose in the radiator and call it good. I think Prestone makes a kit you can install in one of your heater hoses so you can actually flush the system, but the problem you're going to run in to is dumping of coolant all over the ground which is an environmental concern (and usually illegal). Chances are, you don't have the ability to properly flush the system...you'd have to take it to a shop and have them draw the sytem down and then replenish it...but not all shops have the right equipment for that either...
Invidia N1 Cat-Back
13" LS1/Cobra Brakes
KYB AGX/TEIN S-Techs
ST Rear Sway Bar
GT Front Strut Bar
18" Black Racing Pro N-1 Wheels
Sonar Projectors w/4300K HID
Sportronic Conversion
AVIC D3/XM Radio/NavTraffic
Black TYC Tails
GT Side Skirts

Ready To Install
RMDSM Front Sway Bar
Firm front; poly rear mounts
5pc Black Grillecraft
kidney_bean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/11/2008, 12:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

yes i replaced the thermostat and radiator cap. im going to replace the water pump when i get the timing belt done and if that doesnt change anything im going to need a new heater core im guessing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.