No Go: Shift Solenoid Mailfunction - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04/29/2008, 07:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: '01 Galant GTZ 5sp
OBGTZ : who are you?OBGTZ : who are you?
No Go: Shift Solenoid Mailfunction

This is on my AT v6. As I'm leaving work today, and turn out from our street, I start to accelerate smoothly to 45 when I hear a quite popping sound and the car starts to slow down. Engine revs to hell, but we are slowing down, SES comes on, so I pull over and check the enginebay. Nothing seems to be out of order, I start the engine, and there's a weird sound coming from the transmission. I get back in the car, start it, try to put it in drive, no go. Turns out the car doesn't move at all, regardless of gear, not even in reverse.
Now after we got home (got towed) here are the codes I pulled:

P0760 Shift Solenoid C Malfunction
P0765 Shift Solenoid D Malfunction

I know nothing about the transmission, so if someone could enlighten me what's going on, that would be great. Is this something easy to fix... or is the trans itself trash?
OBGTZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04/29/2008, 08:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ah yes...

Vehicle: 00 GT RIPP STG.3 & EVO X
Clipse3GT is recognized club-wideClipse3GT is recognized club-wideClipse3GT is recognized club-wideClipse3GT is recognized club-wideClipse3GT is recognized club-wideClipse3GT is recognized club-wideClipse3GT is recognized club-wideClipse3GT is recognized club-wideClipse3GT is recognized club-wideClipse3GT is recognized club-wideClipse3GT is recognized club-wide
Send a message via AIM to Clipse3GT Send a message via MSN to Clipse3GT
You need to open up the transmission and change the solenoids listed. They probably got burnt up.
Clipse3GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/29/2008, 09:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipse3GT View Post
You need to open up the transmission and change the solenoids listed. They probably got burnt up.
Is this caused because of something internal? Or do you mean the trans got too hot? I'm just curious since two of them failed at the same time, and I'd hate to replace the solenoids but not fix the real problem.

Btw I'm at 100K and the fluid was changed at 65K.
Old 04/29/2008, 09:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ah yes...

Clipse3GT is recognized club-wideClipse3GT is recognized club-wideClipse3GT is recognized club-wideClipse3GT is recognized club-wideClipse3GT is recognized club-wideClipse3GT is recognized club-wideClipse3GT is recognized club-wideClipse3GT is recognized club-wideClipse3GT is recognized club-wideClipse3GT is recognized club-wideClipse3GT is recognized club-wide
Hard to saw why they Failed. Did you always use Mitsu ATF when changing fluid? Sometimes failures can be associated with using different ATF fluid beside the OEM type. There are 5 Solenoids: Here is what you probably need.

P0760 Shift solenoid C malfunction • A/T DTC No.33 (Second solenoid valve
system)
P0765 Shift solenoid D malfunction • A/T DTC No.34 (Overdrive solenoid valve
system)

DTC P0760: Shift Solenoid C Malfunction
TECHNICAL DESCRIPTION
• When a malfunction of the shift solenoid C
(Second solenoid) is detected, the transaxle
control CPU inside the powertrain control module
(PCM) outputs a malfunction signal to the engine
control CPU in the PCM.
DTC SET CONDITIONS
Check Conditions, Judgment Criteria
• Second solenoid failure signal is input to the
engine control CPU from the transaxle control
CPU.
TROUBLESHOOTING HINTS (The most likely
causes for this code to be set are
• Second solenoid failed.
• Open or shorted second solenoid circuit, or loose
connector.
• PCM failed.

DTC P0765: Shift Solenoid D Malfunction
TECHNICAL DESCRIPTION
• When a malfunction of the shift solenoid D
(overdrive solenoid) is detected, the transaxle
control CPU inside the powertrain control module
(PCM) outputs a malfunction signal to the engine
control CPU in the PCM.
DTC SET CONDITIONS
Check Conditions, Judgment Criteria
• Overdrive solenoid failure signal is input to the
engine control CPU from the transaxle control
CPU.
TROUBLESHOOTING HINTS (The most likely
causes for this code to be set are
• Overdrive solenoid failed.
• Open or shorted second solenoid circuit, or loose
connector.
• PCM failed.

My guess is all you need is to replace the solenoids. While you are at it, check all the other ones to make sure they are not shorting or breaking somewhere.

Last edited by Clipse3GT; 04/29/2008 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04/29/2008, 10:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Good info, thanks. Sounds like I'll star at the solenoids than. Yeah, it better be Mitsu fluid, since it was done at the dealer.
Old 04/29/2008, 10:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ah yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBGTZ View Post
Good info, thanks. Sounds like I'll star at the solenoids than. Yeah, it better be Mitsu fluid, since it was done at the dealer.
Then you should be fine. It might be a solenoid just failed or something damaged it, which can be a cause of bigger trouble.
Old 04/29/2008, 10:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Then you should be fine. It might be a solenoid just failed or something damaged it, which can be a cause of bigger trouble.
One thing that has been mentioned to me over at galantforums is that solenoids might fail because of heat or vibration. Now the road I just rode before this happened is a really bad dirt road (yey for SC in the 21st century) that shakes the hell out of my car even at low speeds. At least there's hope thats all.
Old 04/30/2008, 06:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

Well, I'll try to pull the pan today and see what's up. I've been offered a complete valvebody, so I might end up replacing that. Do I need to drop the trans for this, or can it be done while it's bolted into its place?

Last edited by OBGTZ; 04/30/2008 at 06:31 AM.
Old 04/30/2008, 10:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Fossilized Member

Vehicle: '03 Eclipse Spyder GTS
rc_maniac should be considered a regularrc_maniac should be considered a regularrc_maniac should be considered a regularrc_maniac should be considered a regularrc_maniac should be considered a regularrc_maniac should be considered a regularrc_maniac should be considered a regularrc_maniac should be considered a regularrc_maniac should be considered a regularrc_maniac should be considered a regularrc_maniac should be considered a regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBGTZ View Post
Well, I'll try to pull the pan today and see what's up. I've been offered a complete valvebody, so I might end up replacing that. Do I need to drop the trans for this, or can it be done while it's bolted into its place?
This will help you with pulling the valve body.
How To: Fix the 2-3 Shift Flare in the Sportronic FOREVER

You can do a continuity test on the solenoids to verify if that is actually the problem. It may also just be a bad connection in the plug going into the transaxle.
rc_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/30/2008, 10:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_maniac View Post
This will help you with pulling the valve body.
How To: Fix the 2-3 Shift Flare in the Sportronic FOREVER

You can do a continuity test on the solenoids to verify if that is actually the problem. It may also just be a bad connection in the plug going into the transaxle.
Awesome post man, thanks!
Old 04/30/2008, 10:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
Fossilized Member

rc_maniac should be considered a regularrc_maniac should be considered a regularrc_maniac should be considered a regularrc_maniac should be considered a regularrc_maniac should be considered a regularrc_maniac should be considered a regularrc_maniac should be considered a regularrc_maniac should be considered a regularrc_maniac should be considered a regularrc_maniac should be considered a regularrc_maniac should be considered a regular
Actually, you can remove the solenoids without removing the valve body.
Old 04/30/2008, 11:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Ah yes...

Quote:
Yup, then get a case of Mitsu ATF. Replace the fluid after you are done replacing the valves. Those will be special order probably.
Old 04/30/2008, 11:44 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, the only reason why I asked about the valve body because I got offered one complete with solenoids by an other member. Having a better understanding how things work helped a lot too.

Quote:
Yup, then get a case of Mitsu ATF. Replace the fluid after you are done replacing the valves. Those will be special order probably.
I'm afraid so, I just hope it won't "hurt" much. I can't find them on mitsuparts.com so if someone has some partnumbers, please post.

Last edited by OBGTZ; 04/30/2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04/30/2008, 11:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
Fossilized Member

All of the solenoids are the same. MD758981
Old 04/30/2008, 01:25 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
All of the solenoids are the same. MD758981
Great, thank you!
Old 04/30/2008, 04:18 PM   #16 (permalink)

Just before I went ahead, I checked the fluid. It's brown (was pink like 2 months ago) and the level is above the HOT line by a good inch. I've been told it indicates a pump failure, which wouldn't be anything new on these trannies. Anyone could confirm this? I'm weighting my options: fixing this AT or just start looking for a 5sp.
Old 05/01/2008, 08:25 AM   #17 (permalink)
Fossilized Member

If you did blow the pump, it can also take out the torque converter. By the time you replace both of those components, you could probably buy one of these. Just a thought.
Old 05/01/2008, 03:04 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
If you did blow the pump, it can also take out the torque converter. By the time you replace both of those components, you could probably buy one of these. Just a thought.
Thanks, I'm after a 5spd now.
Old 07/20/2008, 06:14 PM   #19 (permalink)

Jesse42181 : who are you?
I hve same problem as OBGTS, identical actually.. I was reading forum and he never mentioned if any of the silenoids were bad or what happened.. I ca'nt find a transmission for my 2001 sebring coupe 3.0L.. anysuggestions would be great.
Jesse42181 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.