P0403 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Circuit Malfunction - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07/07/2008, 08:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
V8 > 3G

Vehicle: racecar
skinnyGT seems to be well-liked by allskinnyGT seems to be well-liked by allskinnyGT seems to be well-liked by allskinnyGT seems to be well-liked by allskinnyGT seems to be well-liked by allskinnyGT seems to be well-liked by allskinnyGT seems to be well-liked by allskinnyGT seems to be well-liked by allskinnyGT seems to be well-liked by allskinnyGT seems to be well-liked by allskinnyGT seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to skinnyGT
P0403 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Circuit Malfunction

Like the title says, I'm throwing P0403 code. I've been digging through some very old posts and it seems like people run into the code more so after the install of headers. The code came on about a day after I installed my RPW long tubes. I'm not a mechanic but i was thinking that the access in scavenging from the headers might actually be creating a draw on the EGR system. Thus reversing the systems intentions... idk

Most people have found the replacing the EGR solenoid eliminates the issue but it just strikes me as odd that others are running into the same code right after they installed headers. Any of you techs have any input on this?
skinnyGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07/07/2008, 09:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Vehicle: 00 Eclipse GT-P Fed Spec
clipseman21 : who are you?
dude haha im having the same fucking problem...I just put my car through emissions and it failed the OBD2 because it threw a P0141 and a P0403... got the P0141 fixed which was the O2 sensor and im going this next mon for the EGR...my mechanic says its the solenoid and is gonna cost me a whoping 200 and some change to fix it
clipseman21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/10/2008, 10:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
V8 > 3G

skinnyGT seems to be well-liked by allskinnyGT seems to be well-liked by allskinnyGT seems to be well-liked by allskinnyGT seems to be well-liked by allskinnyGT seems to be well-liked by allskinnyGT seems to be well-liked by allskinnyGT seems to be well-liked by allskinnyGT seems to be well-liked by allskinnyGT seems to be well-liked by allskinnyGT seems to be well-liked by allskinnyGT seems to be well-liked by all
bump
Old 07/10/2008, 09:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2010 Nissan Frontier
jakea333 : who are you?jakea333 : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to jakea333 Send a message via MSN to jakea333 Send a message via Yahoo to jakea333
I also throw this code, do you guys think it's just circumstance that we are all 2000's? Mine started after the install of my diamante intake manifold, my headers were installed after that so my experience as far as those is null.
jakea333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/11/2008, 06:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Slayahc112 : who are you?
What kind of headers are you using? Do they have the EGR bung and is it hooked up correctly?

EDIT:

Sorry, I didnt read. I have OBX short tubes, and im not running into any EGR problems. I also bypassed the EGR pipe later and put a breather filter on it. Ive never had that problem. I cant imagine how that would cause a silenoid to go bad, but i figure if it would happen once immediately after installing the headers, it might happen again after the silenoid is replaced. What have other people done to get the same problem?

Last edited by Slayahc112; 07/11/2008 at 06:43 PM. Reason: im illiterate
Slayahc112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/21/2008, 08:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
V8 > 3G

anybody have any input? this CEL is driving me nuts
Old 07/21/2008, 08:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Fossilized Member

Vehicle: '03 Eclipse Spyder GTS
rc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by many
P0403 is for the control curcuit (electrical). The computer is seeing a malfunction in the curcuit that controls the EGR valve. Most likely it is your solinoid. But, it could also be a broken wire or something left unpluged when you were working on the car last.
rc_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/21/2008, 09:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
ja lamb

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GS
jalamb : who are you?
Send a message via Yahoo to jalamb
I got the same problem and a friend of mind at the dealership say that they haven't had to replace too many EGR valves, but I am beginning to think that it could be that they need to think about a recall on the EGR valves for 2000 eclipse's
jalamb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/21/2008, 09:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Boosted

Vehicle: Stratus 2.4L
steadly2004 is well-liked by manysteadly2004 is well-liked by manysteadly2004 is well-liked by manysteadly2004 is well-liked by manysteadly2004 is well-liked by manysteadly2004 is well-liked by manysteadly2004 is well-liked by manysteadly2004 is well-liked by manysteadly2004 is well-liked by manysteadly2004 is well-liked by manysteadly2004 is well-liked by many
Send a message via MSN to steadly2004 Send a message via Yahoo to steadly2004
I almost suggested trying to disable the EGR function with ECUflash to pass emissions, but then I realizedy you guys were 2000.... sorry
steadly2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/22/2008, 02:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 Eclipse Spyder GS AT
reallyniceguy sucksreallyniceguy sucks
Send a message via MSN to reallyniceguy
Solenoid costs like 45 dllrs at the dealership new....

200?

HAHAHA wow..
reallyniceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/10/2008, 09:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
spanky

Vehicle: 2001 GT
eclipse1989 : who are you?
im having the same problem 2001 gt
eclipse1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09/18/2008, 08:13 AM   #12 (permalink)

ncjks : who are you?
Help with EGR Failure, Check Engine Light, Trouble Code P0403

I found a schematic here (in Russian):
Авто запчасти для MITSUBISHI PAJERO,MONTERO (L00/V00#) [V73W] GLS(NSS4/EURO2),4FA/T LHD Система впуска и выпуска - Каталог автозапчастей и цен онлайн
I talked to the Mitsubishi Mechanic and he said that the EGR valve (12400) and the Emmission Vacuum Control Valve (12431) never go bad but it's the solenoid (12421Q)

There's a second solenoid that harder to find that never fails either.

Also, there two hoses going into the throttle body on the other side of the motor, right on top on the driver's side of the plenum toward the rear of the engine bay. With the motor running, pinch one of them off and the motor should stumble and stall. Make sure the opening from this hose to the trottle body is free from buildup.

Finally, there's two hoses that lead away from the Emmission vacuum Control Valve (12431.) These hoses are about three inches long. If you'll pinch them, you'll find that one of them has an orrifice inside; it feels like a little BB inside the hose. The mechanic said pull the orrifice out and throw it away. Like I said, it's about the size of a BB and it's supposed to have a hole in it. Mine was clogged badly.

The likelihood is that I installed a new EGR valve ($160 installed) and a new Solenoid ($90 installed) when all I needed was to get that POS orrifice out of that hose.

But hey, my check engine light is out.

JK
ncjks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.