power steering sound????? - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07/16/2008, 04:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: 03 eclipes gts
travion : who are you?travion : who are you?travion : who are you?travion : who are you?
power steering sound?????

I don't know if this is a problem or not, but my car keeps making the power steering noise when i hit the gas? You guys know the noise your car makes when you turn your steering wheel all the way to the left or right? Well my car makes that noise all the time for some odd reason, when im driving, anytime i press the gas, and turning (basically anytime i the rpm goes up). It hasn't cause me any problem but i don't know if this is the beggining of a problem or if something is going bad. I know my car did not make this whining power steering noise before unless i was turning. Does anyone no what this might be or experiencing something similar? (110,000 miles 03 gts 5spd)
travion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07/16/2008, 05:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fossilized Member

Vehicle: '03 Spyder GuTS
rc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by many
Whats the fluid look like? Black and murky? Has it ever been changed? Is it up to the proper level? If the fluid is good, you may be loosing the pump.
rc_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/16/2008, 05:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
(b)org banugee

Vehicle: 2008 Mazdaspeed 3
citm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to citm2000
99% of all power steering problems are actually the belt. Look there first.
Old 07/16/2008, 05:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

travion : who are you?travion : who are you?travion : who are you?travion : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_maniac View Post
Whats the fluid look like? Black and murky? Has it ever been changed? Is it up to the proper level? If the fluid is good, you may be loosing the pump.
I believe the only time it was change is when i did my 70k maintence, the fluid is pretty dark it is at the right level (it is not on low but not on full..pretty much right below full) because i dont see how i could get more in the resevoir maybe just alittle. Would the pump going out cause the noise when ever i just simply press the gas? If im in neutral and gently press the gass you hear that type noise?
Old 07/16/2008, 05:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by citm2000 View Post
99% of all power steering problems are actually the belt. Look there first.
Ok, i will check that out, i did not realize power steering had a belt with in that system to be honest i dont know much about powersteering on the mechanic side. I will look into that.
Old 07/16/2008, 08:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

I just listen to it again in my drive way i revved the engine just a little to about 2.5k rpm and it kind of sound like something dealing with the power steering but then again it kind of reminds of the the sound cars make when they are driving in reverse its just not as loud as that it kind of like a whining sound similar to turning your wheel all the way to the right or left....Does anyone else have an idea of what this maybe??
Old 07/17/2008, 08:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Fossilized Member

Vehicle: '03 Spyder GuTS
rc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by many
Quote:
Originally Posted by travion View Post
I believe the only time it was change is when i did my 70k maintence, the fluid is pretty dark it is at the right level (it is not on low but not on full..pretty much right below full) because i dont see how i could get more in the resevoir maybe just alittle. Would the pump going out cause the noise when ever i just simply press the gas? If im in neutral and gently press the gass you hear that type noise?
Quote:
Originally Posted by travion View Post
I just listen to it again in my drive way i revved the engine just a little to about 2.5k rpm and it kind of sound like something dealing with the power steering but then again it kind of reminds of the the sound cars make when they are driving in reverse its just not as loud as that it kind of like a whining sound similar to turning your wheel all the way to the right or left....Does anyone else have an idea of what this maybe??
It doesn't sound like the belt is squeeling by your description. It sounds more like a gear noise. "...the sound cars make when they are driving in reverse..." If the sound is in fact coming from the power steering pump, plan on having to replace it in the near future.
rc_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/17/2008, 10:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_maniac View Post
It doesn't sound like the belt is squeeling by your description. It sounds more like a gear noise. "...the sound cars make when they are driving in reverse..." If the sound is in fact coming from the power steering pump, plan on having to replace it in the near future.
Yea it does not squeel or anything it is just a faint noise similar to turning the wheel all the way to the left or right. My power steering seem extremely loud to me it could just be me. I do no that it should not make that noise when the wheel is straight and im just sitting in my drive way in neutral and press the gas. I hear it when ever i press it im going to have checked out eventually when i get the funds...thanks for your help.
Old 07/21/2008, 08:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
eclipz cuztomizer

Vehicle: 00 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
acidburnthe1s : who are you?
Sounds like power steering pump...

Sounds like the pump is on the way out... There are some power steering fluids that you can buy to help silence the pump (usually they have an anti noise additive in them). That might help it quit down for awhile.

The only other thing might be one of your idler pulleys is going... These are what keep the drive belts tight, there should be one or two... These can make a similar noise when the car is revved, etc.

Something to look into

Good luck!

~Peace~
Jesse
acidburnthe1s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/22/2008, 12:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidburnthe1s View Post
Sounds like the pump is on the way out... There are some power steering fluids that you can buy to help silence the pump (usually they have an anti noise additive in them). That might help it quit down for awhile.

The only other thing might be one of your idler pulleys is going... These are what keep the drive belts tight, there should be one or two... These can make a similar noise when the car is revved, etc.

Something to look into

Good luck!

~Peace~
Jesse
Appreciate it man, thanx for everyones help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.