Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

Common 3G problems

137K views 98 replies 69 participants last post by  buddd 
#1 · (Edited)
Let's start with this common problem:

Problem: When the engine is under load ("goosing it", for example) you experience a loss of power accompanied by a whistling or hissing noise that stops when you let off the accelerator.

Cause:
The intake snorkel has come disconnected from the frame rail and is vacuuming itself to the bottom of the hood. It is part #17 in this diagram and you'll see it right by your radiator.

Solution:
Spend $2 on some plastic rivets at Autozone or Advance Auto or get an aftermarket intake.

Metadata search words:
Hiss, hissing, whistle, whistling, bog, bogging, power, loss

See less See more
#2 ·
Carpet wet, leak in the cabin

Problem: You often see water on the carpet, especially after running the air conditioning.

Cause: The evaporator's drain has become clogged and condensation is leaking into the cabin instead of out of the bottom of the car.

Solution: Clean the drain. Some people have success simply using a pipe cleaner to clean out the little drain pipe, which is near the center of the car side to side and is approximately below the center console front to back. The best solution however is to clean out all the mess that's accumulating in the evaporator.

Credit for pics goes to Slo_Mo

There are other solutions as well, such as using the drain from a galant, etc. Probably the best thread for this is here:

http://www.club3g.com/forum/problem-reports/95892-c-leaking-water-my-floor-board.html

If your AC is draining properly, the issue is the seal around the door. This most commonly fails right by your tweeter. Replacing the gasket is the only solution of which I'm aware.

Metadata search words:
Water, wet, carpet, leak, floor, floorboards, A/C, AC, air conditioning

#3 · (Edited)
#19 ·
#4 ·
Center Speaker buzzing or blown

Problem: There is a loud buzzing from the center channel, especially during mono broadcasts (AM, talk radio, commercials). Perhaps you've replaced it and the problem keeps coming back.

Cause: The center channel is blowing. The car was originally equipped with a center channel speaker that is not sufficient to the task based on how it is wired.

Solution: Install a 3.5" speaker. http://www.club3g.com/forum/audio/94725-how-upgrade-center-speaker.html

Metadata Search words:
buzz, buzzing, center, speaker, blown, blowing

#5 ·
Problem: The sunroof sticks

Cause: Probably the seal, perhaps the rails

Solution: Many have had some luck by using some armorall on the back off the seal where it first pops up. You can try greasing the rails with white grease. Beyond that -- suck it up. It's a class problem.

Metadata search words:
sunroof, moonroof, roof, stick, open

#6 ·
#1. Press the switch with your left hand while simultaneously pushing up on the glass gently with your right (making a fist keeps down prints). Be careful not to punch the glass out, this can cause a shower of glass and undue stress.

#2. Watch as your unstuck sunroof shutters backward like a 90 year old man with parkinsons disease.

#10 ·
or i had EXCELLENT results using a package i got at walmart called "CRYSTAL VIEW HEADLIGHT RESTORER/DEFOGGER" it says you dont have to take headlights off car, i did anyway, just to be able to scrub better, and didnt want to hurt paint. and it work amazing! just follow the directions and watch the online video..;)

#13 ·
Well this is kinda of a problem but not a mechanical problem...

The cup holder placement... OMFG horrible
Glove box rattling gets really annoying at idle

BTW isnt there a thread about something like this already? If the OP can find im sure you can get that info and place it in here.

#14 ·
HELP

i am new to the world of 3g, i have the 01 gt and there is a small black cylinder to the left of my manifold i think it is and at idle i hear this continuous clicking/ticking sound im not sure if its related to what your sayin only because i no close to nothing about cars. Any help would b appreciated. I have pictures but i cant figure out how to post them yet.

#16 ·
i am new to the world of 3g, i have the 01 gt and there is a small black cylinder to the left of my manifold i think it is and at idle i hear this continuous clicking/ticking sound im not sure if its related to what your sayin only because i no close to nothing about cars. Any help would b appreciated. I have pictures but i cant figure out how to post them yet.
Not really the place to post this. This is for common questions that get asked and answered repeatedly.

#21 · (Edited)
NO ONE HAS FIGURED OUT THIS PROBLEM YET!!!

almost EVERYONE that has a gt with over 110,000 miles, has the dreadful FKING p0300 random misfire code.

HAS ANYONE FIGURED OUT A FIX AS TO WHY EVERYONE HAS THIS PROBLEM? HOW ABOUT AN ANSWER WHY NO ONE IS LOOKING INTO IT?

i have a gt with 110k miles. replaced everything and its mother. and still no bye bye misfire. at least i got my car to start again.

its a very expensive fix. distributor = 400$, CPS = 200-300$. the crankshaft position sensor always blows, and so does the distributor. i have also got ngk IX iridium, and ngk wires. along with the distributor, i got a new cap/and rotor. almost everything in the engine is new yet there is still no fix for the p0300. yes i checked for vac leaks, yes i did timing and compression test.

i am not the only one with this problem. there are a few guys with the same dam problem and NOBODY HAS CARED TO HELP!

by the way, i drive a 2001.

#22 ·
almost EVERYONE that has a gt with over 110,000 miles, has the dreadful FKING p0300 random misfire code.

HAS ANYONE FIGURED OUT A FIX AS TO WHY EVERYONE HAS THIS PROBLEM? HOW ABOUT AN ANSWER WHY NO ONE IS LOOKING INTO IT?

i have a gt with 110k miles. replaced everything and its mother. and still no bye bye misfire. at least i got my car to start again.

its a very expensive fix. distributor = 400$, CPS = 200-300$. the crankshaft position sensor always blows, and so does the distributor. i have also got ngk IX iridium, and ngk wires. along with the distributor, i got a new cap/and rotor. almost everything in the engine is new yet there is still no fix for the p0300. yes i checked for vac leaks, yes i did timing and compression test.

Well homie... I got a resolution for ya. Did you heck the gapping on your spark plugs when you put those bad boys in there or did you just believe they were gapped correctly? I noticed you didn't mention that. Pull those suckers back out and regap them. Also, what do you mean the distributor and CPS "blow?"
i am not the only one with this problem. there are a few guys with the same dam problem and NOBODY HAS CARED TO HELP!

by the way, i drive a 2001.

#23 ·
this thread is the best! I had the intake and sunroof problem now i know how to fix them.
btw for fogged up lights i recommend the mothers headlight restoration kit it worked very well for me, my headlights used to be fogged up pretty bad and they are now beautiful and clear.

#24 ·
Does anyone have a fix for water on the drivers side floorboard after it rains hard? I've blown out the drains to the sunroof and I know its not from my a/c because it only happens on days with heavy rain. I ripped up the carpet and pulled out the drain plug to try and give the water someplace to go but I would like to find out what the real cause is without going to the dealership. I've checked seals around the doors, sat in the car while it rains and I know it isn't coming from above. I drive a 2001 GT and really want to get this fixed cause it rains a lot in Florida. Any input would be great, and yes I did search first.

#45 ·
I had this problem. There is a thick bunch of wires that go through a grommet to the drivers wheelwell (need to take of the plastic skirt in the wheelwell to gain access. The drain under the cowl at the bottom of the windshield flows right over this grommet. Was able to use my finger and apply silicone/acrylic seleant around the grommet and the leak is now gone.

hope this helps

#27 ·
well i tried the whole a/c water leak thing...floor hasnt gotten any more wet..so i'd like to think it worked.. if so..mission accomplished..and thank u for the info =)

#28 ·
ok so i did the thing..and it got dry..and was dry for 2 days..and i ran my ac like a champ...but today it started pouring and..needless to say..both sides are wet..drivers and passengers....does this have to do with that a/c leak fix? or is something else causing this? anyone, i'd appreciate some input =(

#31 ·
ok manda, i will i suppose..i was just wondering bc i dont remember seeing it in this thread, so i didnt know if it was common or not lol..

#32 ·
Problem: Glove box rattle or large gap.

There is a how to in the garage on exactly how to fix it. In short...
1) Remove the glove box by opening it and pulling the sides in so it flops down out of the way.
2) The latch clips onto a little loop mounted on the dash. Pull the loop out, its two screws. Take it to a vice and recrimp it down a little bit.
3) Reinstall it.

Basically the loop bends down a little and lets the glovebox bounce up and down. This eliminates both the rattle and taht annoying gap.

#33 ·
Hi everyone

i got a VIBRATION when i accelerate first second and third gear! so i was wondering wat can it be

1- i thought it might come from the engine mount
2- from my lowering suspention
3-wheel bearing

i checked the wheel bearing and its all good! i any of you know please let me know!!! its really annoying!

thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.