car wont idle, will only run with my foot on gas - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09/24/2008, 08:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

02spyderFL : who are you?
car wont idle, will only run with my foot on gas

1st off, yes i did search the forums first and tried to troubleshoot.

My car was running fine and then all of the sudden, when i came to a stop, the rpms dropped to 0 and the car stalled, thankfully i was entering my subdivision and put it right in the driveway. The only thing from stock is a CAI. I took that all apart and cleaned it all. cleaned and reoiled the filter, i cleaned the throttle body, and examined all the vacuum hoses. Everything looked good but still cant get it to idle. Another post suggested checking the PCV valve. I removed that and shook it and heard the valve moving, so i am assuming this is still good? I then disconnected the negative battery cable to reset the PCM. Hooked that back up and started it, the first time it still wouldnt idle, i was holding it at about 800rpm and it did actually rev itself a couple of times like it was trying to learn itself, however, i still couldnt get it to idle. Everytime starting it after that it would never rev itself again. (this has me thinking it could be the Throttle position sensor?) My other thought is that it could be a clogged Fuel injector. I did put some fuel injector cleaner in the tank about 3 tanks ago or so. Could 1 clogged fuel injector be causing it not to idle? I drive 40 miles each way to work, which is mostly interstate. I am wondering if it is worth while to try and drive it to work to try and get that fuel injector cleaned out.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks
02spyderFL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09/26/2008, 08:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Even though noone responded, i will go on to say my results as of today. After all the looking i did in other threads, it was also mentioned to check the Air Idle Control Valve. I grabbed my Haynes book and looked up how to test this. I removed it from the car, did as the book told me and hooked it up to the ohmeter and found that 1 connection did not have continuity. 320 dollars later i got a new one and put it in. The car fired right up, learned the idle position right away.

Hope this is helpful to someone else.
Old 09/28/2008, 11:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT
eclipseracr needs to be reminded to breathe.
Send a message via Yahoo to eclipseracr
i have the same exact problem right now anything else you can help with cuz i was thinking of just getting a new throttle body.
eclipseracr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09/29/2008, 10:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

do you have a haynes or chilton manual? If not, get one....look up idle air control motor. There should be a procedure for testing it using an ohmmeter. Very easy test....The idle air control motor is very easy to get out of the car also...it is directly under the throttle body and has 3 phillips head screws holding it in.

Let me know what you come up with.
Old 05/13/2014, 12:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Vehicle: 03 mitsubish spyder gt
ben54568 : who are you?
All mine was, was a screw fell off the idle control valve so it was receiving to much air
ben54568 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.