Clunking noise in rear when going over bumps - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09/11/2009, 11:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: 03' Eclipse GT
ok4u2nvmy3g : who are you?
Clunking noise in rear when going over bumps

ok so this is a problem that has been going on for awhile and its annoying!!!

I "believe" it started after one of the coldest days in the winter. Its almost like something in the rear suspension locked up. I know its not the struts I had those replace because when my mechanic tried to take off the rear springs they were like jammed on.

I googled my problem and the best answer was the connector plate from the strut to the car itself, but that was also check...

Any ideas would be very helpful in fixing this problem!!!!
ok4u2nvmy3g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09/14/2009, 12:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pissed

Vehicle: '08 350Z Touring
zakmartin has a few friends herezakmartin has a few friends herezakmartin has a few friends herezakmartin has a few friends herezakmartin has a few friends herezakmartin has a few friends herezakmartin has a few friends herezakmartin has a few friends herezakmartin has a few friends here
1. Check to make sure your spare tire is tightly secured to the floor.

In your opinion, was your mechanic reliable? Do you think he did an adequate job checking everything? Springs should not be "jammed on" to their seats. If memory serves me correctly, there should be a pad between the spring and the connector plate. Also, check all your rear bushings. A busted bushing could cause a clucking sound.
zakmartin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09/14/2009, 01:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Titanium Spork

Vehicle: 2001 spyder gs
scarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by all

1) STRUT 2) HUB and BEARING 3) KNUCKLE
4) UPPER CONTROL ARM 5) FRONT ARM 6) FRONT BUSHINGS
7) REAR ARM 8) TRAILING ARM 9) COIL SPRING
10) DUST SHIELD 11) STRUT BUMPER 12) CUP
13) SPRING INSULATOR 14) STRUT MOUNT 15) STABILIZER BAR
16) BUSHINGS 17) BRACKET 18) LINK
19) CROSSMEMBER

there is a breakdown of what SHOULD be there. it is from:
OEM Mitsubishi Parts

tha might help you to make sure you even have all the parts.

zakmartin, the part you were referring to is the spring insulator, i think. so memory does serve well.
scarr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09/15/2009, 05:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Vehicle: galant
wardak33 needs to be reminded to breathe.
Send a message via AIM to wardak33
Did you check your sway bar end links?
Old 09/16/2009, 08:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Drastic Racing

Vehicle: 2003 Evo VIII
00Clipse : who are you?00Clipse : who are you?
Get underneath of it and see if anything loose/broken. In the future don't assume that just because you had something replaced that it's completely out of the equation. If someone comes to me after taking there car someone else and says oh I just had this replaced at so and so's garage, that's the first thing I check. I'd say more than half of the time that's there problem. He could have left out the rubber bushing between the spring and the strut top. He could have forgot to tighten the bolt down all the way. 100 things that could have went wrong with the strut replacement.
00Clipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09/16/2009, 08:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2004 Spyder GTS, Titanium
mditt8671 : who are you?mditt8671 : who are you?mditt8671 : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to mditt8671
Make sure your muffler is secured.
mditt8671 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/04/2009, 08:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Vehicle: GT Spyder
Steel Dreams is similar to TE
endlinks

spray some wd40 on your rear endlinks and drive over a bump. If the noise goes away or is diminished you need new ones (the wd40 wont last)
Steel Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/04/2009, 09:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Flip! What the zip?!

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe
Hijinx has a few friends hereHijinx has a few friends hereHijinx has a few friends hereHijinx has a few friends hereHijinx has a few friends hereHijinx has a few friends hereHijinx has a few friends hereHijinx has a few friends here
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Clipse View Post
Get underneath of it and see if anything loose/broken. In the future don't assume that just because you had something replaced that it's completely out of the equation. If someone comes to me after taking there car someone else and says oh I just had this replaced at so and so's garage, that's the first thing I check. I'd say more than half of the time that's there problem. He could have left out the rubber bushing between the spring and the strut top. He could have forgot to tighten the bolt down all the way. 100 things that could have went wrong with the strut replacement.
This. Check his work. I had to double check my own work, because I had this exact problem.

It's called cryptochronophililite!
Hijinx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.