Broken Hood Release Cable - How to open your hood - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09/28/2009, 11:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Eclipse Aficionado

Vehicle: Black 2003 GT 5 Spd
mrb2112 : who are you?
Thumbs up Broken Hood Release Cable - How to open your hood

Hello All, it's been a while since I've been in the forums. But I ran into a problem with my 03 GT, the harsh winters and all the salt corroded and rusted my hood release cable. It broke right up in the hood latch assembly.

I couldn't get that hood open for love or money. I took it to multiple mechanics, and after monkeying with it, the said they would have to damage the hood to get it off.

Well, I found the solution and it's a lot simpler than you may think!!

All you need is a flashlight and a flat head screwdriver.

If you peek between the hood and front fascia (bumper) with the flashlight you'll be able to see the latch mechanism. Looking at the front of the mechanism you can see the U shaped bottom part of the latch. Near the bottom right side of the U there is a small vertical hole, just about the right size for the tip of that screwdriver I mentioned.

Stick the screwdriver in the hole at an angle (as if you were pointing the screwdriver at the passenger door). Then lever the screwdriver to the left, like you're flicking a big switch, and you'll catch the release mechanism, and the hood will pop up just as if you had pulled the release.

Then you can open the hood normally from there.

Enjoy! I hope this saves someone some time and trouble.

Edit: I've included a clearer photo.
mrb2112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10/08/2009, 11:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
(b)org banugee

Vehicle: 2008 Mazdaspeed 3
citm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to citm2000
After you get the hood open, it's time to remove the front bumper cover and fix that cable.
Old 08/10/2012, 12:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2002 GT
G-force : who are you?G-force : who are you?
THANKS A MILLION!!! Saved my ass!!! I was about to rip that hood off Incredible Hulk style, that's how frustrated I was!!!
G-force is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/25/2013, 07:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

sackofnoise : who are you?
All right please don't flame me for reviving a really old thread, but this just happened to me and i can't find the actual "vertical hole" so if anyone could take a shot of their latch mechanism and the actual hole it would DEFINATELY BE A LIFESAVER! :O i am desperate haha been looking an eternity with a flashlight and my screwdriver in my driveway...

please... help!
sackofnoise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/25/2013, 09:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Vehicle: 05 UV Blue GS
Bulldogger : who are you?
Broken Hood Release Cable - Can't Open Hood

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Bulldogger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/25/2013, 11:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

sackofnoise : who are you?
Thanks a lot! guess i'll have to get a smaller screwdriver for this one thanks!!!!!
sackofnoise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/30/2013, 01:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Vehicle: Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
iERROR : who are you?
This just happen to me too! I've been trying to get this stupid hood open for almost a week now. I cant seem to get the right touch to pop the hood up. I am currently exploring other methodes...
iERROR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/30/2013, 01:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
am cat

Vehicle: 2007 Camaro
Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
I stuck this, as these cars age I expect this to happen more often.
2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/30/2013, 08:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Vehicle: Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
iERROR : who are you?
couldn't find any other way of doing it. wondering if the screw driver should go threw that piece 2013-03-30 19.47.54-2any feedback at all would help!

Last edited by iERROR; 03/30/2013 at 08:38 PM.
iERROR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/07/2013, 01:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

RRKnight : who are you?
I'm having this same issue with my hood. Cable broke and can't open the damn hood with the screw driver. I see the picture above but which hole do I need to play with to release the latch?
RRKnight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/03/2013, 12:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

Evolutionn : who are you?
http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0bbea232.jpg

REVIVING THIS THREAD FOR A SECOND
I am having a hell of a time doing this... i just wanted to clarify.. when you say lever the screwdriver to the left.. do you mean push the handle towards the passenger side or to the drivers side?? MUCH THANKS FOR ANY HELP
Evolutionn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/08/2013, 11:06 AM   #12 (permalink)

Evolutionn : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb2112 View Post
Hello All, it's been a while since I've been in the forums. But I ran into a problem with my 03 GT, the harsh winters and all the salt corroded and rusted my hood release cable. It broke right up in the hood latch assembly.

I couldn't get that hood open for love or money. I took it to multiple mechanics, and after monkeying with it, the said they would have to damage the hood to get it off.

Well, I found the solution and it's a lot simpler than you may think!!

All you need is a flashlight and a flat head screwdriver.

If you peek between the hood and front fascia (bumper) with the flashlight you'll be able to see the latch mechanism. Looking at the front of the mechanism you can see the U shaped bottom part of the latch. Near the bottom right side of the U there is a small vertical hole, just about the right size for the tip of that screwdriver I mentioned.

Stick the screwdriver in the hole at an angle (as if you were pointing the screwdriver at the passenger door). Then lever the screwdriver to the left, like you're flicking a big switch, and you'll catch the release mechanism, and the hood will pop up just as if you had pulled the release.

Then you can open the hood normally from there.

Enjoy! I hope this saves someone some time and trouble.

Edit: I've included a clearer photo.
i put the small flathead into there and i pryed the screwdriver left,(pushed the handle to the right) and having one heck of a time.. is it supposed to take a lot of pressure to push it? im bending the screwdriver prying so hard
Evolutionn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/08/2013, 11:20 AM   #13 (permalink)
am cat

Vehicle: 2007 Camaro
Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
If the latch is seized it's going to be hard. The how-to assumes a working latch but broken cable. It sounds like your latch is seized solid (do to non use/not being lubed properly and regularly) and the cable broke because of a seized latch not a worn cable. Try a stronger screw driver and maybe hitting it with a hammer. See if you can get some penetrating oil soaked into the latch. Worst case you'll need to find some other way to get it open if the latch is totally seized solid, I don't even know how. Try a body shop?

Also try prying the other way too. The cable pulls the mechanism to the driver side, I think you're trying to duplicate that with the screw driver.
2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Tags
cable, hood, open, release, stuck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.