Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

Temperature reading seems to be all over the place?

925 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  2k2ocgt 
#1 ·
Ok so I have a 2003 Eclipse GT. The coolant level is fine and the car blows hot air just fine but my question is: Is it normal in these cars that the temperature seems to be all over the place. My car seems to warm up pretty quickly and get to the middle and stay there on the needle (so it looks like -------------) right in the middle. The air it blows while at this temperature is so so...its warm but not super warm or hot. Once I drive the car it seems to jump up higher to be a little over the 3/4 mark. When the car reading is up there it blows very warm air and almost smells like something is burning from time to time? The temperature needle has never gone into the red zone but has lingered up at between the 3/4 and red zone area a few times. Oddly the needle seems to come down all on its own at certain times while at other times it just likes to stay up there. I really have no clue why. Some days it just stays in the middle all the time. I dunno...thinking maybe change out the thermostat just to be sure it's not something weird. I guess the water pump could be going to, but I don't hear any noise coming from that. Just seeing if this is normal for these cars.

#2 ·
thinking maybe change out the thermostat just to be sure it's not something weird.
that seems to be the most likely thing, and cheap, so do it first. then come back if you still have issues.

#3 ·
^^ Also do a system flush while you're at it.

#6 ·
i'll throw in checking the coolant level as well. If you get air pockets, they'll fluctuate the needle and affect the temp through the heater core as they travel through the system. Generally they'll collect at a high spot at idle (low rev) such as at a stop light, and push through when you are moving.

#7 ·
Like others have said... Replace the thermostat and the radiator cap (together it shouldn't be more than 30 bucks). Completely flush and fill the coolant, and make sure you "burp" (get out all the air bubbles) the system. It can take a while for all the air to get out, as you need to have the thermostat open.

I had a similar problem as you a couple of years ago. My car would run a little hotter than normal, and would blow hot air while driving. At idle, the air would turn cold and the temp would rise. I replaced the thermostat, flushed the coolant, and I had no problems after that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.