Auto Trans Reverse Jolt - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01/10/2010, 09:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT Sporty
amerikanst : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to amerikanst
Auto Trans Reverse Jolt

Alright. This isn't a big emergency or anything, but I don't know if it could be detrimental to my transmission. When I put my transmission in reverse, and only in reverse, from any other gear, the revs will spike a little and then there will be a slight jerk. It sounds like a very unhealthy jerk. It seems as if when the car warms up it becomes a more violent jerk. The tranny fluid was checked and it wasn't in bad shape. Car's got 140K, and its a winter car. This is probably unrelated but the throttle squeaks too. It sounds like a creaking noise on the driver side, around the steering wheel or past the steering wheel, but in that area. Any ideas for either of these?
amerikanst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01/10/2010, 09:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Waiting to spool

Vehicle: 01 Gt
Black_out seems to be okayBlack_out seems to be okayBlack_out seems to be okayBlack_out seems to be okayBlack_out seems to be okayBlack_out seems to be okay
Does it creak when accelerating or putting the car in gear? If so it could be a motor mount which would also explain a slight jolt when putting the car into gear.

Eclipse tuners are a strange sort. They don't like talking about wings or color-matching side skirts and interiors. Eclipse tuners are performance-obsessed sleeper fanatics who dream only about downpipes, exhaust gases, and wastegates. Their cars aren't pretty, but have the ability to spank you silly on the highway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveodotcom1 View Post
Money can buy you a race car, but money can't buy you the skill to race it.
Black_out is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/10/2010, 10:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

It does not creak when I put the car into gear. only when accelerating. And it only jolts when being put in reverse.
Old 01/10/2010, 10:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Titanium Spork

Vehicle: 2001 spyder gs
scarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by allscarr seems to be well-liked by all
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerikanst View Post
It does not creak when I put the car into gear. only when accelerating. And it only jolts when being put in reverse.
creak? like whistle? do you have a CAI? they do that.

you got questions? we got answers: http://tearstone.com/shop/Factory-Service-Manuals/
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00JStew3G View Post
If you want it done right, follow scarr's advice 100%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabob View Post
scarr's right
scarr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/10/2010, 10:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
am cat

Vehicle: 2007 Camaro
Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
sounds more like it slips when reverse first engages and then it catches hard. could be a transmission problem, this is just my interpretation of what he's describing.
2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/10/2010, 10:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

No it creaks like stepping on wood creaking. And it sorta feels like its catching hard. But why would that happen every single time?
Old 01/11/2010, 01:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT
lionfire seems to be okaylionfire seems to be okaylionfire seems to be okaylionfire seems to be okaylionfire seems to be okaylionfire seems to be okay
My 2000 does the same thing. My auto trans has 180k+ on it and I have a feeling it's just worn the hell out. I plan on doing a rebuild on the trans soon. Also that creaking throttle thing, I'm not sure if this is your problem, but right at the fire wall where the throttle pedal attaches to the throttle cable, mine makes a cable on metal grinding sound and my throttle cable is a bit sticky. I ordered a new throttle cable, so hopefully that'll fix that problem I have, there's also a spring assembly that the throttle pedal uses, that could also be making a creaking sound.
lionfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/11/2010, 02:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Shut up.

Vehicle: 2007 Infiniti G35X
wright06jhs has a few friends herewright06jhs has a few friends herewright06jhs has a few friends herewright06jhs has a few friends herewright06jhs has a few friends herewright06jhs has a few friends herewright06jhs has a few friends herewright06jhs has a few friends herewright06jhs has a few friends here
Send a message via MSN to wright06jhs
my 2000 GT does the same thing but not every time, usually when its cold out/ cold start. It has over 140K miles on it now.

Oh and its done it intermittently for over 30K miles now. I figured it was normal for the year and mileage the car has on it, and it also has the poly motor mounts too.

My Ride

G35Driver
wright06jhs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/11/2010, 07:07 AM   #9 (permalink)

Mine does not have poly motor mounts. Let me know if the new cable helps out.
Old 01/29/2013, 02:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2002 Eclipse RS
andrzejluko : who are you?andrzejluko : who are you?
Send a message via Skype™ to andrzejluko
Although this thread has been dead for awhile my auto trans is doing something very similar to what bitter described....But it doesn't happen every time. Not quite sure if it's just a certain set of cogs that are worn down and it spins until good ones catch?

If it helps when I put the car into reverse, my rpm goes up to about 1k maybe a little more or less. (I idle around 500rpm). Then it catches and jolts. My only thing that bugs me is this doesn't always happen. Sometimes it's a very smooth shift.

"Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric." -bertrand russell
andrzejluko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/01/2013, 09:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT
Mr6G72 : who are you?
Re: Auto Trans Reverse Jolt

The torque converter is going about to go out or starting to..a friend had the same problem in his 2000 3G GT and had to get a transmission..they cost about $900 and ended up doing a Manual Conversion instead..cost him $1,500 with Donor car

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Mr6G72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/02/2013, 07:51 AM   #12 (permalink)

Vehicle: 03 Eclipse GTS
Thrice0805 has a few friends hereThrice0805 has a few friends hereThrice0805 has a few friends hereThrice0805 has a few friends hereThrice0805 has a few friends hereThrice0805 has a few friends hereThrice0805 has a few friends hereThrice0805 has a few friends here
I've actually been having the same problem for around a year now. It happens when the car is cold and I switch out of park. However if I start it early with my remote start then it doesn't have the jolt. I read somewhere in another thread that it could be the wave spring in the transmission that is messed up. I don't have much knowledge about this but maybe someone can speak to this.
Thrice0805 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/12/2013, 09:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2002 Eclipse RS
andrzejluko : who are you?andrzejluko : who are you?
Send a message via Skype™ to andrzejluko
Well, turns out for my problem was busted motor mounts. I replaced all of my motor mounts and doing sound also found a random bracket (looked like it was from the stock intake) was blocking the shifter cable. I removed the bracket because it's not actually supporting anything and now I have no problem. There's no jolt or anything. So, if anyone else is having the problem i'd suggest looking into the mounts.

"Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric." -bertrand russell
andrzejluko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.