Hard Shifting / Shift Shock - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02/15/2010, 02:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Eclipse Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Eclipse Spyder GS
Tim. : who are you?
Hard Shifting / Shift Shock

Alright I've searched and searched and found no definitive answer. My 2001 Sportronic was driving fine (as far as I am aware) until I installed my HID's. Now there's no chance the HID's can effect the transmission, however it is possible that the car's computer is re-learning the shift points so I thought I would mention it. What happens is in either Auto or Clutchless-Shifting 1 to 2 is fine, 3 to 4 is fine, but 2 - 3 has a hard jerk to it. At low RPM's its almost unnoticeable, and at high RPM's it seemed to shift fine, but in the middle area I experience the heavy shift shock. Now I found a few threads regarding 'Shift Flare,' however from what I understand 'Shift Flare' refers to the RPM's increasing slightly between shifts (as if the car went 2 - Neutral - 3). In my situation, the RPM's do NOT go up, they go down like normal.

I'm not that knowledgeable about transmission stuff, so I haven't checked anything yet. I just wanted some feedback as far as is what I am experiencing the same 'Shift Flare' listed in the Garage tutorial. If not, could it just be that my Transmission Fluid is low/dirty and needs to be replaced? If so I guess I can just drop the pan and replace (instead of doing a full flush, in case I clean up and gunk preventing leaks)? Or is it just the computer re-learning? (I would think after 5 or 6 drive cycles of about 5 - 10 miles each it should be all done. I have driven it for 3 days now)

Any input is appreciated!!

Last edited by Tim.; 02/15/2010 at 02:59 PM.
Tim. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02/15/2010, 10:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Meow?

Vehicle: 2011 EvoX Gsr
rapairmanrage : who are you?rapairmanrage : who are you?rapairmanrage : who are you?rapairmanrage : who are you?rapairmanrage : who are you?
Have you checked your transmission fluid? If you have an owners manual use that to check it once the fluid has warmed up in neutral after cycling through the gears, be sure to pull the parking brake if the cabled aren't seized. Also did you disconnect the battery when you installed your HID's? Its kind of ironic it happened to start right after you installed them, but definitely check your fluid, tell us how many miles are on it. If you can go to your local autoparts store and see if they can check for pending codes, they may not be able to tell you what exactly the codes are but all you need is the code and their are definitions in a sticky. Could be a number of things though so start by checking trans fluid level/condition
rapairmanrage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/15/2010, 11:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Shata Scatta Shred!

Vehicle: 2000 BMW 328i
shata : who are you?shata : who are you?
Send a message via MSN to shata
Actually If you ask Autozone to check your pending codes they will print out a slip with Pending codes and that slip will tell you what it could be if there is any. But either way if you have some post them and look em up in the sticky that bitter made.
::Exedy Clutch/Pressure Plate
::Fidanza Flywheel 9.5lbs
shata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/16/2010, 09:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Eclipse Newcomer

Maybe I'm lucky but it seems to have stopped today. I checked the transmission fluid and it seemed fine (color and amount). Maybe it really was the computer still learning. I'll re-post if the problem continues. Thanks!
Old 02/24/2010, 11:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

soccr_player : who are you?
I have a similar problem. The only difference is that my tranny does feel like it goes from 2-neutral-3. It started happening after I disconnected the battery to install a new stereo. I took it to aamco and they said i needed to overhaul the tranny, but now I'm thinking it might just be related to the computer "learning" the shift points. how would i know for sure this is it?
soccr_player is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/24/2010, 11:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2004 WRX
Got Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by all
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccr_player View Post
I have a similar problem. The only difference is that my tranny does feel like it goes from 2-neutral-3. It started happening after I disconnected the battery to install a new stereo. I took it to aamco and they said i needed to overhaul the tranny, but now I'm thinking it might just be related to the computer "learning" the shift points. how would i know for sure this is it?
I think you might just have to give it a few days of driving and see if it continues happening.
Got Rice Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/24/2010, 12:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Eclipse Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccr_player
I assume you checked out the thread I linked to right? Even if it's not just the computer resetting you could always give that a try, doesn't seem too hard to do with the right tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim. View Post
Now I found a few threads regarding 'Shift Flare,' however from what I understand 'Shift Flare' refers to the RPM's increasing slightly between shifts (as if the car went 2 - Neutral - 3).
As for an update on my situation the problem is pretty much gone, however there is still more shift shock between 2 - 3 than there is anywhere else. I'm not sure if this is because 2 - 3's optimal RPM isn't getting hit or what but its still aggravating. However I'm certain now that the shift shock I am currently experiencing is the same as it was before I pulled the battery (So at least I can rule out the computer).

I checked the fluid as said before and it seemed fine (red and within the full limits) so at least I'm not leaking. Is it possible a clogged filter is causing this? I would suspect if it was it would be experienced at all gears though? Any input is always appreciated.
Old 02/25/2010, 09:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

soccr_player : who are you?
[QUOTE=Tim.;2796092]I assume you checked out the thread I linked to right? Even if it's not just the computer resetting you could always give that a try, doesn't seem too hard to do with the right tools.

I read that thread you mention and I am thinking of giving that a try but i've also read something about a "worn overdrive/reverse clutch drum" that goes bad and that can be replace without taking the transmission off. If im gonna crack that b@$&%! open, i might as well change that too. As far as my oil situation is concerned, aamco SAID the oil was burned, idk if that helps or what that is an indication of though.
soccr_player is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/25/2010, 03:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fossilized Member

Vehicle: '03 Spyder GuTS
rc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim. View Post
I checked the fluid as said before and it seemed fine (red and within the full limits) so at least I'm not leaking. Is it possible a clogged filter is causing this? I would suspect if it was it would be experienced at all gears though? Any input is always appreciated.
There are pressure test ports on the outside of the transmission case. Locate the test port for the Overdrive clutch. It should be locating on the end cover in the drivers side wheel well. Install a pressure gauge and check the pressure when the clutch engages in 3rd gear. Compare your pressure reading with the data in the Service Manual. If the pressure is too high, I believe your "Switching Valve" may be stuck. The computer will try to compensate for it, but it may not be able to "learn" it completely away.
rc_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/25/2010, 06:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Eclipse Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_maniac View Post
There are pressure test ports on the outside of the transmission case. Locate the test port for the Overdrive clutch. It should be locating on the end cover in the drivers side wheel well. Install a pressure gauge and check the pressure when the clutch engages in 3rd gear. Compare your pressure reading with the data in the Service Manual. If the pressure is too high, I believe your "Switching Valve" may be stuck. The computer will try to compensate for it, but it may not be able to "learn" it completely away.
Okay, worth a shot. I wont have time to try this until next week, however I google searched 'Switching Valve' and did not come across a whole lot. Is there another term for the part? Also is it something replaceable or something repairable? (I'd rather replace a bad part, but I know some things its much cheaper to repair)
Old 02/26/2010, 07:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
Fossilized Member

Vehicle: '03 Spyder GuTS
rc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by manyrc_maniac is well-liked by many
No, its not something you run out and buy. It is an integral part of the valve body inside the transmission. It switches the fluid pressure between hi and low during the 2-3 shift. Thats why i suspect it could be that. A fluid flush may or may not fix the problem, but it's an easy and cheap first step. But, don't suspect the valve before you check the hydraulic pressure.

http://tearstone.com/eclipsefsm/GR00003500-23A.pdf
Starts on page #26
rc_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02/26/2010, 04:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Eclipse Newcomer

Perfect! That's detailed enough for me to give this a shot I think. I'll test it next week sometime. Am I correct in understanding that it's fine to jack up the car (jack stands) to do this? (I'm pretty sure that's what the manual is saying).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.