valve cover gasket - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03/27/2010, 05:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

2000MitsuGT needs to be reminded to breathe.
valve cover gasket

need help changin my valve cover gasket on a 2000 eclipse gt. i took out six bolts on the valve cover and it wouldnt come off. so how exactly do i remove the valve cover?
2000MitsuGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03/27/2010, 06:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
R.I.P. silverside

Vehicle: '03 6G75T, '98GSX, EVO IX
finesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by allfinesse49ers seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via Yahoo to finesse49ers
You need to put some muscle to it. Some members here have had success using a rubber mallot and wood block to lodge it off.

This is what I'm about: The 3G, 1998 GSX, EVO IX GSR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin711 View Post
Whens the car going to be finished with the turbo and everything on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmEcis View Post
Kevin: It'll be done when I'm done with it... ;)
finesse49ers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/27/2010, 07:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
2011's are gay

Vehicle: 03 Eclipse GTS 6G75
White Knight seems to be well-liked by allWhite Knight seems to be well-liked by allWhite Knight seems to be well-liked by allWhite Knight seems to be well-liked by allWhite Knight seems to be well-liked by allWhite Knight seems to be well-liked by allWhite Knight seems to be well-liked by allWhite Knight seems to be well-liked by allWhite Knight seems to be well-liked by allWhite Knight seems to be well-liked by allWhite Knight seems to be well-liked by all
i always use a putty knife and a hammer and lightly tap it between the cover and head then once you get through it will either pop right off or you use gentle prying, be careful not to bend the cover or dig into the head
Old 03/27/2010, 10:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Vehicle: eclipse gt
Rickybobby sucksRickybobby sucks
make sure you loosen up the two bolts on top of the timing belt cover myn got kinda stuck on it when i went to take it off....
Rickybobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10/11/2010, 01:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
(b)org banugee

Vehicle: 2008 Mazdaspeed 3
citm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to citm2000
I'm in the same boat. All six bolts are out, and hoses disconnected, but it won't budge. Not even a millimeter. I've hammered on it quite a bit and the valve cover is denting a little bit, but it won't move. There's got to be something I'm missing here.
Old 10/11/2010, 01:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
ECLIPTO

Vehicle: 00 eclipse gt
davila825 has a few friends heredavila825 has a few friends heredavila825 has a few friends heredavila825 has a few friends heredavila825 has a few friends heredavila825 has a few friends heredavila825 has a few friends heredavila825 has a few friends heredavila825 has a few friends here
Quote:
Originally Posted by finesse49ers View Post
You need to put some muscle to it. Some members here have had success using a rubber mallot and wood block to lodge it off.
davila825 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10/11/2010, 02:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
(b)org banugee

Vehicle: 2008 Mazdaspeed 3
citm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by allcitm2000 seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to citm2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by davila825 View Post
View Post
Yeah, I went that route. I even put a few dents in the cover doing it. Still nothing. Anyways, I didn't want to do it, but I used a pry bar. Actually didn't have to do much prying at all. I went in at the corner by the alternator and used the alternator bracket for leverage. It popped with almost no effort and didn't gouge either surface, which surprised me, because beating the hell out of it was getting me nowhere. I also loosed the timing belt cover as mentioned here -- I'm not sure if it made any difference.

Now on to trying to get that ancient baked on gasket off.

I got the gasket remover and brake cleaner all over my hands. Burn. All the grease and grime is gone, though! It cleaned my hands better than the valve cover.

The gasket is stuck in there good, and the tube seals aren't coming off either.
Old 10/11/2010, 02:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Boobs!? WHERE!?!

Vehicle: 03 Eclipse 3.5L GT
Solar Klipse : who are you?Solar Klipse : who are you?Solar Klipse : who are you?Solar Klipse : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by citm2000 View Post
Yeah, I went that route. I even put a few dents in the cover doing it. Still nothing. Anyways, I didn't want to do it, but I used a pry bar. Actually didn't have to do much prying at all. I went in at the corner by the alternator and used the alternator bracket for leverage. It popped with almost no effort and didn't gouge either surface, which surprised me, because beating the hell out of it was getting me nowhere. I also loosed the timing belt cover as mentioned here -- I'm not sure if it made any difference.

I got the gasket remover and brake cleaner all over my hands. Burn. All the grease and grime is gone, though! It cleaned my hands better than the valve cover.

Good job bud though I'm sure you're pretty pissed about those dents...
You Got Electrical Questions? I've Got Answers!

6G72/74 Engine Swap
ECU Reflash/Tune (Courtesy of TX4Codeman)
AEM V2 CAI
RPW Long Tube Headers
KYB AGX Shocks
Tein S-Tech Lowering Springs
EBC Slotted Rotors
Stoptech SS Brake Lines
F1 Racing Stage 3 Clutch
F1 Racing Lightened Flywheel
Ingalls Stiffy Engine Damper
Solar Klipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10/11/2010, 04:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Exacerbated Member

Vehicle: 2kFsGt5sp/TbPP
WorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wide
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
i always use a putty knife and a hammer and lightly tap it between the cover and head then once you get through it will either pop right off or you use gentle prying, be careful not to bend the cover or dig into the head

Will you all please stop telling people to do stupid stuff to ther cars,

they don't know you are wrong, and might try your misguided advice and put a grove or scratch in the sealing surface of the head that a new gasket can't seal across.

Last edited by WorldWind; 10/11/2010 at 04:38 PM.
WorldWind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/23/2011, 07:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

clarkandrew45 : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldWind View Post
Will you all please stop telling people to do stupid stuff to ther cars,

they don't know you are wrong, and might try your misguided advice and put a grove or scratch in the sealing surface of the head that a new gasket can't seal across.
I am up to trying his advice on this, thanks for saying that this is a wrong thing to do. I guess some people really wants to give help but not so sure about the advice to give.

Last edited by clarkandrew45; 03/25/2011 at 09:59 PM.
clarkandrew45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/23/2011, 09:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

Vehicle: 03' eclipse GS-T
Evos4life08 : who are you?Evos4life08 : who are you?Evos4life08 : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to Evos4life08
I've done a couple at work recently and it will come up if you find a way to get in between the cover and head, and when u get it off it might take a while to get the old gasket that comes off in pieces from sitting in it so long.
Evos4life08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/23/2011, 09:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 eclipse spyder GT
spyder3 : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by citm2000 View Post

I had the same problem with my gasket, i used a little flat head to dig it out a little bit at a time, it comes out in pieces. just be sure to clean it up when your done so the new one can fit in there like it's sappost to. be sure not to damage the valve cover.
spyder3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/26/2011, 10:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2002 Eclipse GT
RealxClutch : who are you?
I just did my valve cover gasket today. To get mine off I tapped around the edges of it with a rubber mallet, just tap tap pull a bit and repeat. The gasket was really baked in there. I had to pry a corner out with a screw drive then once i could get under it I used an old little steel pick from my computer tools bag to sliver through the rubber and loosen and it up to the point where i could peel it by hand. Took an hour and a half. Including putting the new one in. Now mine came with two gaskets..A friend of mine said something about a rear one. Is there both a front and rear valve cover gasket? Just want to make sure. But yeah the gasket's are a bitch to replace.
RealxClutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/27/2011, 07:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
Electrify

Vehicle: 2001 Black Eclipse GT
grfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by all
Yes. If you have the v6 engine. 1 front 1 rear. The rear is harder coz you have to remove the upper intake/plenum before you can access it. I need to do mines. Yo you are close to me. I'm from Philly. I just met a another member here from south Jersey. Ownski. We were talkin about helping each other for our cars. We can help if you want.
grfft3r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/02/2011, 03:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 eclipse spyder gt
trino_44 : who are you?
had that same valve cover gasket problem when i rebuilt my engine. when i strongly took the cover off, i then used a torch and burned that gasket. it made it easier to take out.
trino_44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/02/2011, 04:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
Chuck Nasty

Vehicle: stuff
chavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regular
Send a message via AIM to chavezeclipse Send a message via Yahoo to chavezeclipse
1. use oem gaskets the felpro are junk (mine leaked worse!)
2. woodblock FTW
3. don't overtighten
4. caddy corner bolts when tightening for proper seat
hybrid clutch
quiafe lsd
custom 3" intake
halo projectors
evo enkei 17" rims
245/40 g-max
6g74 swap w/UIM/TB
tein s tech kyb agx
cmf headers
poly mounts
evo brakes
UCS tune
custom 2.5" exhaust
csf 2 row radiator
rear strut bar
battery relocated to trunk
22mm rear sway bar
ss brake lines
nice sound system

chavezeclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/02/2011, 04:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
TxTuning.com

Vehicle: '13 Wrx
Tx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wideTx4Codeman is recognized club-wide
^ I have done roughly 8 6g7x valve cover gaskets, all using FelPro kits with absolutely no issues. I apply rtv sealant to both ends and have had no leaks on any vehicles I have worked on.
Old 05/02/2011, 05:07 PM   #18 (permalink)
Aple juic is my beer

Vehicle: 02 GT 3.8L, 07 Jeep GC
Drunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club existsDrunkoffjuic is one of the reasons this club exists
Send a message via AIM to Drunkoffjuic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx4Codeman View Post
^ I have done roughly 8 6g7x valve cover gaskets, all using FelPro kits with absolutely no issues. I apply rtv sealant to both ends and have had no leaks on any vehicles I have worked on.
I have only used Felpro once. The fitment was very bad, and the gasket was a tad to big. Went an bought OEM later the same day.
Old 05/02/2011, 05:59 PM   #19 (permalink)

Vehicle: 01 GS
mitsu3g01 should be considered a regularmitsu3g01 should be considered a regularmitsu3g01 should be considered a regularmitsu3g01 should be considered a regularmitsu3g01 should be considered a regularmitsu3g01 should be considered a regularmitsu3g01 should be considered a regularmitsu3g01 should be considered a regularmitsu3g01 should be considered a regularmitsu3g01 should be considered a regularmitsu3g01 should be considered a regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkoffjuic View Post
I have only used Felpro once. The fitment was very bad, and the gasket was a tad to big. Went an bought OEM later the same day.
ya, bad experience with felpro also
mitsu3g01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/02/2011, 07:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
Chuck Nasty

Vehicle: stuff
chavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regularchavezeclipse should be considered a regular
Send a message via AIM to chavezeclipse Send a message via Yahoo to chavezeclipse
gasket too big and thin inside the channels. the oem one is thicker and proper size and same price. do it right once.
hybrid clutch
quiafe lsd
custom 3" intake
halo projectors
evo enkei 17" rims
245/40 g-max
6g74 swap w/UIM/TB
tein s tech kyb agx
cmf headers
poly mounts
evo brakes
UCS tune
custom 2.5" exhaust
csf 2 row radiator
rear strut bar
battery relocated to trunk
22mm rear sway bar
ss brake lines
nice sound system

chavezeclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/24/2011, 04:10 PM   #21 (permalink)

Vehicle: 01 Spyder GT
Kaos' Spyder : who are you?
im havin trouble with this shit right now... felpro gasket is to long and thin so waiting on oem to finish my car
Old 05/25/2011, 08:17 AM   #22 (permalink)

aebcoat : who are you?
I am brainstorming so no one run out and try this right away, But I saw the post about using a torch and thought about using an oven. Would putting it in a 200 degree oven help melt it and make it easier to remove, I know it worked to melt the glue to open headlights so maybe it would work to melt the valve cover gasket

I already replaced mine a few months ago and spent an hour or so with various cleaners digging it out piece by piece, In hindsight my gasket seemed a little thin, but I used gasket sealant and have not had any leaks since
aebcoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/25/2011, 09:01 AM   #23 (permalink)
Electrify

Vehicle: 2001 Black Eclipse GT
grfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by allgrfft3r seems to be well-liked by all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaos' Spyder View Post
im havin trouble with this shit right now... felpro gasket is to long and thin so waiting on oem to finish my car
The rear is actually a little bit bigger than the front gasket (I think). When I did my front Valve cover I used a felpro set from autozone and when I fitted it in, one was a tad longer so I tried the other and it fits good so It guess its for the rear which I haven't done yet.

About it being thin, I used like a duck bill pliers (not sure about the name but its has like two long flat horizontal bars in its mouth) and gently squeezed the grove to fit the gasket and went around. Made sure the mating surface was flat and clean. Should've put some silicone for safety measures but it hasn't leaked since.
grfft3r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.