Engine idle Problems and vibrations Please Help!! - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04/19/2010, 08:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

94supratalon : who are you?
Exclamation Engine idle Problems and vibrations Please Help!!

Ok first off yes I have researched this for weeks now. I have been working on cars for about 8 years now so I know what I am doing! The problem is that I have a bad vibration at idle and this seems to a problem that a lot of people are having.It has a rough idle in park but when u put it into drive the whole dash shakes! I have had the problems since I have owned the car. I have maintained it very well!! So this weekend I check the then timing belt and everything is perfectly in time! I also changed to polyurethane mount and I know they will vibrate but this made it way worse! I also cleaned the maf and pressured tested the intake to make sure I had no vacuum leaks and everything checked out. So I am out of Ideas so if any one can help or has some good Ideas please let me know!

P.S. The only other Idea I had is that the factory timing marks are off because it seems that alot of people have this problem after timing belt has been changed..

Thanks
Trevor
94supratalon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04/19/2010, 11:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Exacerbated Member

Vehicle: 2kFsGt5sp/TbPP
WorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wide
The people that have timing problems after a belt change have for the most part either misaligned the marks or they have used a non OEM belt. (Many aftermarket belts are not made to exacting enough standards for our engines and have their teeth in a ‘out of spec’ spacing pattern) If none of that is your problem AND you have checked compression in all cylinders and know for sure that all plugs are good and firing then…

I am going to guess vacuum leak.
I know you said you checked the intake but that is on the wrong side of the throttle body to matter. Check all your lines that connect to the air plenum and the manifold. Especially check all the connections to both sides of the vacuum pipe assembly, all the components it supplies vacuum to, and the vacuum line to the fuel rail.

Wait a minute, what engine do you have???

Any vacuum connection that is suspect, with the engine running, put one drop of engine oil at the end of the hose where it is pushed onto a pipe and see if it is drawn into the hose. If so, there is a leak.
Then check that the EGR valve is seating properly, and that there is no leak around the manifold differential pressure sensor. If you have checked all of that and still not found a leak then the next step is to replace the gasket between the manifold and the air plenum.

PS. For anyone that cares. Swapping out the OEM motor mounts with the Prothane ones does not cause engine vibration. But if something is wrong and you already have engine vibration then you can feel it much better. Also having a bad vibration at idol is not normal and allowing it to continue is not good maintenance. I am not trying to be rude, but solving a rough idle is an auto shop 101 task at best.
WorldWind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/20/2010, 08:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Dangler

Vehicle: 85 mr2 (20v silvertop)
espguitarist3 seems to be okayespguitarist3 seems to be okayespguitarist3 seems to be okayespguitarist3 seems to be okayespguitarist3 seems to be okayespguitarist3 seems to be okay
If you have a 4cyl you should check the balance shaft

is your eclipse Rice Special faster then a civic Sportscar Impersonator?

Proud author on thetheoryofeverythingblog.com
espguitarist3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/20/2010, 04:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

worldwind its a 2.4L I pressured tested the whole intake system form behind the maf back where it matters! I am not running a oem timing belt but I have been running dayco timing belts on 1g's and all kinds of other cars for years now and never had a problem I do not think it is the spacing on the belt! Also this has happend to people at the dealership so another reason why timing belt is prob. not the problem...The car runs great no smoke no check engine light just rough idle.. I have not checked the egr valve yet I will do that.. Thanks for the input.

espguitarist3 if it was a problem with the balance shaft I would have vibration problems at different rpm's.

PS: while working on cars u learn stuff every day and u may not be able to fix every problem and also either can the dealer! This is not something easy bc I would of found the answer on the the forums and people that took there car to the dealer and they cant even fix them. Didnt know that was a shop 101 task!
Old 04/20/2010, 05:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Vehicle: 03' GT-S
Dego : who are you?
dealerships are not in the business of chasing down vacuum leaks for hours when it would net them so little profit. time is money. they don't care about your "lil ole problem" when they are not going to profit from it.

any advice i have to give would not even be as extensive as what WW gave already. id go ahead and start with that EGR valve and plenum gasket as mentioned.

aside from that, being that this issue was pre-existing to your belt change is what would lead me to believe me to feel its vacuum of some form. the fact that it is worse now leads me to believe your prothanes are giving you a better feel for the vibration.

i damn sure would check it all inch by inch before re-timing the whole thing AGAIN just to get the same results.
Dego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/20/2010, 09:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Dego u ever work at a dealership bc I have and they will do anything if it is customer pay that like $80 an hr. so u wouldn't find a vacume leak for $80 an hr. I think that is kinda stupid bc that would be easy money if that was the case. by the way I dont understand why yall think it is a vacume leak when I pressurized the whole intake system.
Old 04/22/2010, 06:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Exacerbated Member

Vehicle: 2kFsGt5sp/TbPP
WorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wide
have you done cylinder compression tests?
WorldWind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/23/2010, 03:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

Vehicle: Mitsubishi RS
batok is similar to TE
Send a message via Yahoo to batok
I have almost same problem with my car eclipse RS 2004model. I send to shop & they check the spark plug & the they said they need to replace the Head Gasket,SparkPlug & Spark plug seal. After i drive home the same problem again. What i did i check what i read here but i can't find the hissing sound that come from intake manifold at the back of the engine. I plan to check the Vacuum line today but its very tight to work. Hope i can solve this problem. Anymore suggestion to this problem?

Thanks
NCM
batok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.