No Spark!! - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04/28/2010, 06:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
ECLIPTO

Vehicle: 00 eclipse gt
davila825 has a few friends heredavila825 has a few friends heredavila825 has a few friends heredavila825 has a few friends heredavila825 has a few friends heredavila825 has a few friends heredavila825 has a few friends heredavila825 has a few friends heredavila825 has a few friends here
No Spark!!

i would like to get everybodys help on this. i have had trouble getting my car to start after a diamante intake and tb swap. ok so i have determined that i have no spark. but i am stuck on here. i looked at my cap and noticed that the spring loaded ground(?) in the middle of the inside of the cap is stuck all the way in. so i go to the auto parts store and get a new one. spring loaded ground is good. so i go to install and crank the engine. and nothing again. i take the cap off and once again the ground is pushed all the way. Am i not getting spark because the ground in the cap is not touching the cap?

i also replaced the rotor and made sure that its sits completely as far as it goes.

could this be the reason why i have no spark.

thanks!!
davila825 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04/28/2010, 07:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
am cat

Vehicle: 2007 Camaro
Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
well if the old cap was working then i doubt thats your problem, sounds more like something is unplugged or did not get reattached (ground?) see if you can get a scanner to see if theres any codes being thrown right now, that could point you in the right direction. are the plugs getting wet?
2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/28/2010, 07:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
ECLIPTO

davila825 has a few friends heredavila825 has a few friends heredavila825 has a few friends heredavila825 has a few friends heredavila825 has a few friends heredavila825 has a few friends heredavila825 has a few friends heredavila825 has a few friends heredavila825 has a few friends here
i have looked over my work twice. there are only 3 grounds. the one by the top of the manifold, and two on the side of the manifold....spark plugs are not getting wet.

please explain how to use the scanner. when i turn the ignition no check engine light. will the scanner help if there is no cel?
Old 04/28/2010, 07:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
am cat

Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
no fuel either? sounds like you've done something to the crank position sensor or its wiring.
Old 04/28/2010, 07:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
CreepnIn The Shadows

Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Aqua Slug Champion!
Vehicle: 03 GT, 95 TSI
3gEclipse86 seems to be well-liked by all3gEclipse86 seems to be well-liked by all3gEclipse86 seems to be well-liked by all3gEclipse86 seems to be well-liked by all3gEclipse86 seems to be well-liked by all3gEclipse86 seems to be well-liked by all3gEclipse86 seems to be well-liked by all3gEclipse86 seems to be well-liked by all3gEclipse86 seems to be well-liked by all3gEclipse86 seems to be well-liked by all3gEclipse86 seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to 3gEclipse86
did you plug the electrical connector for the distributor back in?
3gEclipse86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04/28/2010, 08:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
ECLIPTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter View Post
no fuel either? sounds like you've done something to the crank position sensor or its wiring.
not sure but i think so but as far as the crank position sensor i did extend the wire but i will double check to make sure
Old 04/28/2010, 08:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
ECLIPTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3gEclipse86 View Post
did you plug the electrical connector for the distributor back in?
yes
Old 04/28/2010, 08:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
am cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by davila825 View Post
not sure but i think so but as far as the crank position sensor i did extend the wire but i will double check to make sure
if you have no spark and the injectors are not spraying then you probably don't have crankshaft position signal.
Old 04/28/2010, 08:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
ECLIPTO

sorry if this sounds dumb but how do i check if the fuel injectors are firing?
Old 04/28/2010, 08:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
am cat

with a noid light or any small bulb. unplug the injector and shove the leads of the bulb (194 bulb works great, unfold the contacts) into the connector and it should flash when cranking.
Old 05/01/2010, 06:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
ECLIPTO

would the injectors be firing if the crankshaft position sensor is bad?

well i took out the crankshaft sensor and looked it over and it looks pretty normal.

also, my assitant said he dropped two bolts down in the timing belt area and didnt tell me. the bolts fell out when i took the lower crank pulley cover off. the bolts ended shreading my timing belt but surprisingly the timing was right on.

is there any way that bolts could have shorted out the sensor by touching it?

thanks for the help
Old 05/01/2010, 09:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
am cat

the sensor can be fine with bad wiring or can be bad internally. no, you won't have spark or injectors without that sensor.
Old 05/01/2010, 10:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
ECLIPTO

just to be on the safe side, i will replace the crank sensor and let you guys know if it works........thanks for help bitter
Old 05/02/2010, 03:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
am cat

and check the wiring! its common for the wires to get knocked out of place and chewed by a belt.
Old 11/05/2010, 11:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
ECLIPTO

alright i have determined that its my spark, but my fuel injectors are firing cuz when i took the fuel rail off there was gas in them. (i have taken the rail off at least twice and tried starting [not in this order]). i cant seem to get spark. i have replaced timing belt and crankshaft sensor still no spark. also when i first started the car, i forgot to ground the grounds attach directly to the side of the manifold (burned the wired through and smoke) ever since then, hasnt started. does anybody have any suggestions.

also could something have happened to the ECU if i started the car with out grounded these wires? where is the location of the ecu?

more info about these ground on my other thread
ground(?) help

Last edited by davila825; 11/05/2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old 11/05/2010, 11:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
am cat

they make 20K HID yet?
Old 11/05/2010, 11:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
ECLIPTO

huh? lol
Old 11/05/2010, 11:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
am cat

sarcasm
Old 11/05/2010, 11:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
am cat

wrong thread LOL
Old 11/08/2010, 01:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
ECLIPTO

bump
Old 11/08/2010, 08:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crazy?

Vehicle: 2g Stratus Coupe SE 6g75
tdevriesgb : who are you?tdevriesgb : who are you?
Those are all sensor grounds. If those are not hooked up, you won't have spark, injector pulse, crank signal, etc.
Mechanic Services available: Swaps, CPU Flashes, and Repairs
tdevriesgb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/02/2011, 11:44 PM   #22 (permalink)
ECLIPTO

update

well i still have no spark, and i have tried many things. btw i do get fuel and the timing is perfect. e rep will be given for useful input. thanks

list---

new distributor
new ecu w/immobilizer
new crankshaft sensor
checked all fuses

my questions are---
are there any relays i should replace or check?
if you take off the distributor car, can you check for spark at the spike that protrudes out of the distributor?
will a faulty inginiton switch cause no spark?
Old 03/02/2011, 11:44 PM   #23 (permalink)
ECLIPTO

--
Old 03/05/2011, 06:41 PM   #24 (permalink)
ECLIPTO

bump
Old 03/05/2011, 07:08 PM   #25 (permalink)
am cat

got pulse to the ignition coil in the distributor?
Old 03/05/2011, 07:35 PM   #26 (permalink)
ltd
UR ASS IS GATOR BAIT

Vehicle: '02 gt
ltd needs to be reminded to breathe.
i know there are fusible links that you can't physically see. they are heatshrink wrapped. check the burned wires for those links ( if they have any ).
Old 03/06/2011, 07:43 PM   #27 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2004 Eclipse Spyder GT
LostSoul sucksLostSoul sucksLostSoul sucks
Camshaft Position Sensor is most likely your problem.

If the CPS goes bad, you will not have spark, but will have fuel. Somehow you either burnt it, or your connections are bad.

And you have to replace the whole distributor assembly to change the camshaft sensor. I've got a used one for sale too, if you need.
LostSoul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/06/2011, 07:56 PM   #28 (permalink)
ECLIPTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter View Post
got pulse to the ignition coil in the distributor?
ignition coil? would that be the "spike" that protrudes out, kinda by the rotor. if so i got no spark there
Old 03/06/2011, 07:57 PM   #29 (permalink)
ECLIPTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSoul View Post
Camshaft Position Sensor is most likely your problem.

If the CPS goes bad, you will not have spark, but will have fuel. Somehow you either burnt it, or your connections are bad.

And you have to replace the whole distributor assembly to change the camshaft sensor. I've got a used one for sale too, if you need.
already replaced the distributor itself
Old 03/06/2011, 07:58 PM   #30 (permalink)
ECLIPTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
i know there are fusible links that you can't physically see. they are heatshrink wrapped. check the burned wires for those links ( if they have any ).

very interesting, please elaborate. what wires would have the fusible links?

thanks man.
Old 03/06/2011, 08:32 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:

thanks man.
Damn...bro I would just go back, unravel all of your engine bay wires and check every single one of them and the ones that go to the plugs too, otherwise I dont even know..
Old 03/07/2011, 03:14 AM   #32 (permalink)
ltd
UR ASS IS GATOR BAIT

Quote:

thanks man.
just physically look at the wires you say are burnt and follow them. i am not sure if the wires you are talking about have them. i do know there are some on some wires. let me check if i can find exactly which wires have them.

do you know which exact wires burned ?

did you check the fuses in the box first ? i think the one to your ignition is pink but, check those first.

Last edited by ltd; 03/07/2011 at 03:19 AM. Reason: didn't want to double post
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/07/2011, 03:26 AM   #33 (permalink)
ECLIPTO

yeah i checked all the fuses. the wires i burnt are the grounds, i have them pictured earlier in this thread
Old 03/07/2011, 03:31 AM   #34 (permalink)
ECLIPTO

i am going to see if i can decipher the manual and see which wires have the fusible link shrink wrapped with wire. if anybody can, take a look also. it would be greatly helpful!!

Tearstone Performance - Service Manuals
Old 03/07/2011, 03:37 AM   #35 (permalink)
ltd
UR ASS IS GATOR BAIT

i'm doing that right now. when your wires shorted it could have messed up a fuse or relay.

have you check to see if there were any codes with an obd scanner ?

Last edited by ltd; 03/07/2011 at 03:47 AM.
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/08/2011, 11:47 PM   #36 (permalink)
ECLIPTO

i double checked all my fuses and relays. no cel light
Old 03/09/2011, 03:28 AM   #37 (permalink)

Do we have a wire going from the ignition switch to the distributor to send spark? If we do, you might have burnt up that wire.

I know on my customers 1974 Dodge Adventurer, he burnt his ignition cylinder, and one of the wires that went to the starter, was burnt.

Could be a similar scenario.
Old 03/16/2011, 02:23 PM   #38 (permalink)
ltd
UR ASS IS GATOR BAIT

did you fix it yet ?
Old 03/16/2011, 04:37 PM   #39 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 GT
buddd : who are you?buddd : who are you?
I don't know about your spark, but just because there is fuel in your fuel rail, doesn't mean the injectors are actually firing. I suggest using the light bulb method bitter described.
buddd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/16/2011, 06:37 PM   #40 (permalink)

TheMeditrome : who are you?
IGNITION COIL CHECK
M1163001200078
<3.0L ENGINE>
1. Measurement of the primary coil resistance
Measure the resistance between connector terminals 1 and
2 of the distributor.
Standard value: 0.56 − 0.68 Ω
2. Measurement of the secondary coil resistance
Measure the resistance between the high-voltage terminal
and connector terminal 1.
Standard value: 9.4 − 12.8 kΩ

IGNITION COIL POWER TRANSISTOR
CONTINUITY CHECK
M1163001300042
<3.0L ENGINE>
NOTE: An analog-type ohmmeter should be used.
NOTE: Connect the negative (-) probe of the ohmmeter to
terminal 2.
CAUTION
This test must be performed quickly (in less than 10
seconds) to prevent coil from burning and ignition power
transistor from breaking.
Replace the ignition power transistor if there is a malfunction.

VOLTAGE: 1.5V BATTERY
POWER SUPPLY

TERMINAL
SPECIFIED
CONDITION
When current is
flowing
2 − 3 1 − 2

When current is not
flowing
- -

AKX01266

HIGH-VOLTAGE
TERMINAL
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
AB
VOLTAGE: 1.5V BATTERY
POWER SUPPLY
TERMINAL
SPECIFIED
CONDITION
When current is
flowing
3 − 4 2 − 3
When current is not
flowing
- -

In the manual its on section 16 page 35

if i were you i would start in the circuit shown on section 16 page 32
TheMeditrome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/20/2011, 06:50 PM   #41 (permalink)
ECLIPTO

problem solved. thanks club3g for all the positive input.
Old 03/21/2011, 01:19 PM   #42 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 GT
buddd : who are you?buddd : who are you?
Well, what fixed it? We won't have to go through all of this next time someone else has this problem if you share what fixed it.
buddd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/21/2011, 03:19 PM   #43 (permalink)
ltd
UR ASS IS GATOR BAIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddd View Post
Well, what fixed it? We won't have to go through all of this next time someone else has this problem if you share what fixed it.
Old 03/27/2012, 05:41 PM   #44 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2002 Eclipse GT
RideTimeless : who are you?
i'm having the same problem. what did you do to fix your problem?
RideTimeless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.