Battery Drains while driving. - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05/05/2010, 09:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Wy02RT : who are you?Wy02RT : who are you?
Battery Drains while driving.

I've been fighting this crazy issue for over a week now and not getting very far, so I'm turning to you folks for help.

While I'm driving my battery will lose its power, mostly dropping down to 6v but still runs. After sitting for awhile i can go back out and start her right up. I disconnected everything that had not come stock on the car and the problem stayed. Dad bought me a new battery and that didnt fix the drain problem. I've checked all my connections, grounds, and now I'm totally stumped.

Only thing i can think of causing this problem would be my Voltage regulator due to the battery not discharging completely while driving.

thanks for any insight

Sean
Wy02RT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05/05/2010, 09:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

rms6799 has a few friends hererms6799 has a few friends hererms6799 has a few friends hererms6799 has a few friends hererms6799 has a few friends hererms6799 has a few friends hererms6799 has a few friends hererms6799 has a few friends hererms6799 has a few friends hererms6799 has a few friends here
Have alternator checked.
Old 05/05/2010, 09:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT
Y2K EcLiPsE : who are you?
It's a bad alternator the same thing happened to me a few months ago. Hopefully its cheaper where you live I paid $345 for mine but parts for this car are hard to get in Canada.
Y2K EcLiPsE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/05/2010, 10:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Farts In The Tub

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8
Lethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends here
i had the exact same problem, drove me crazy trying to find out the problem, replaced the alternator, had the battery tested, checked all the wires, turned out the 120A fuse on the positive battery terminal was barely there and when i started it up, it arced, thus destroying the fuse and leading to the battery dying. new fuse is about $16 at a stealership.
Lethal1ty17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/05/2010, 10:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Wy02RT : who are you?Wy02RT : who are you?
I had the alternator tested when i had my optima battery tested when this issue started and both came back passing.

Just tested continuity across that 120A fuse and its ok. Im so baffled, im about to go buy new terminal connectors and replace all my grounds and power leads, leaving the only not new thing to be the alternator.

Last edited by Wy02RT; 05/05/2010 at 11:18 AM.
Wy02RT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/05/2010, 11:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Waiting to spool

Vehicle: 01 Gt
Black_out seems to be okayBlack_out seems to be okayBlack_out seems to be okayBlack_out seems to be okayBlack_out seems to be okayBlack_out seems to be okay
The fuse is right off the positive battery terminal. You can't miss it. I'd go get that alternator checked again and at 2 stores if you can. Sometimes they "pass" but they're really bad.

Eclipse tuners are a strange sort. They don't like talking about wings or color-matching side skirts and interiors. Eclipse tuners are performance-obsessed sleeper fanatics who dream only about downpipes, exhaust gases, and wastegates. Their cars aren't pretty, but have the ability to spank you silly on the highway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveodotcom1 View Post
Money can buy you a race car, but money can't buy you the skill to race it.
Black_out is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/05/2010, 11:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Hammer Time!

Vehicle: THIS HOUSE!!
jaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club exists
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2K EcLiPsE View Post
parts for this car are hard to get in Canada.
No kidding. They don't even have bloody ignition wires for this car at my local Canadian Tire. WTF?
jaloosk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/05/2010, 11:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Waiting to spool

Vehicle: 01 Gt
Black_out seems to be okayBlack_out seems to be okayBlack_out seems to be okayBlack_out seems to be okayBlack_out seems to be okayBlack_out seems to be okay
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaloosk View Post
No kidding. They don't even have bloody ignition wires for this car at my local Canadian Tire. WTF?
Do they have tires? That would be an outrage if they didn't!

Eclipse tuners are a strange sort. They don't like talking about wings or color-matching side skirts and interiors. Eclipse tuners are performance-obsessed sleeper fanatics who dream only about downpipes, exhaust gases, and wastegates. Their cars aren't pretty, but have the ability to spank you silly on the highway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveodotcom1 View Post
Money can buy you a race car, but money can't buy you the skill to race it.
Black_out is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/05/2010, 11:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
"S" Car...Gooooooo

Vehicle: 03 GT-T
SvenHoek is well-liked by manySvenHoek is well-liked by manySvenHoek is well-liked by manySvenHoek is well-liked by manySvenHoek is well-liked by manySvenHoek is well-liked by manySvenHoek is well-liked by manySvenHoek is well-liked by manySvenHoek is well-liked by manySvenHoek is well-liked by manySvenHoek is well-liked by many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_out View Post
Do they have tires? That would be an outrage if they didn't!
Well they don't stock brakes, so who knows about the tires...maybe not.
SvenHoek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/05/2010, 01:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT
Y2K EcLiPsE : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaloosk View Post

I don't even bother with Canadian Tire anymore when it comes to finding parts. The Canadian tire by me doesn't even have my car listed in their database. I tried to get a cabin air filter a while ago they told me noone in canada has one lol.
Y2K EcLiPsE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.