Hairline crack in radiator - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07/20/2010, 06:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2002 RS
jazz6588 : who are you?
Hairline crack in radiator

Right on the top of the radiator there is a hairline crack. I tried some "Radiator Stop Leak" suggested by a guy at autozone (I didn't really like him), it didn't work. In fact I think it made it worse by turning into globs. My question is, could I use a type of epoxy to just seal the crack? I don't want to spring for a new radiator and the radiator shop I called was more expensive than the dealer.

If a type of epoxy will work, do you have any suggestions?
jazz6588 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07/20/2010, 06:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Suk me balls

Vehicle: Maxima SE 6spd Manual
raz_76 seems to be well-liked by allraz_76 seems to be well-liked by allraz_76 seems to be well-liked by allraz_76 seems to be well-liked by allraz_76 seems to be well-liked by allraz_76 seems to be well-liked by allraz_76 seems to be well-liked by allraz_76 seems to be well-liked by allraz_76 seems to be well-liked by allraz_76 seems to be well-liked by allraz_76 seems to be well-liked by all
You need top replace the radiator, can't be fixed. Besides don't you want the piece of mind or do you want to get stranded somewhere and possibly burn the engine??
Old 07/20/2010, 06:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

I don't have the money right now to fix the radiator. Will hopefully have the money soon, I just need it fixed ASAP.
Old 07/20/2010, 06:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Suk me balls

Vehicle: Maxima SE 6spd Manual
raz_76 seems to be well-liked by allraz_76 seems to be well-liked by allraz_76 seems to be well-liked by allraz_76 seems to be well-liked by allraz_76 seems to be well-liked by allraz_76 seems to be well-liked by allraz_76 seems to be well-liked by allraz_76 seems to be well-liked by allraz_76 seems to be well-liked by allraz_76 seems to be well-liked by allraz_76 seems to be well-liked by all
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz6588 View Post
I don't have the money right now to fix the radiator. Will hopefully have the money soon, I just need it fixed ASAP.
You can't nothing will hold to those temperatures and pressure. Go borrow it and fix your car.
Old 07/20/2010, 08:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Boobs!? WHERE!?!

Vehicle: 03 Eclipse 3.5L GT
Solar Klipse : who are you?Solar Klipse : who are you?Solar Klipse : who are you?Solar Klipse : who are you?
Like he said... Nothing. Will. Fix. It. Don't be stubborn... Sell lemonade on the corner, become a pimp, call family, take out a loan, sell a vital organ, learn to play an instrument, play said instrument on street corner for money, the options are endless!! Wait... is the hairline fracture on the metal or the plastic part?
You Got Electrical Questions? I've Got Answers!

6G72/74 Engine Swap
ECU Reflash/Tune (Courtesy of TX4Codeman)
AEM V2 CAI
RPW Long Tube Headers
KYB AGX Shocks
Tein S-Tech Lowering Springs
EBC Slotted Rotors
Stoptech SS Brake Lines
F1 Racing Stage 3 Clutch
F1 Racing Lightened Flywheel
Ingalls Stiffy Engine Damper
Solar Klipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/20/2010, 08:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Low and Slow.

Vehicle: Dodge Stratus Coupe
Pearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by allPearl01Strat seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to Pearl01Strat
I was in the same boat as you. For a temporary fix, dry the area well ( maybe drain it just a little) , sand the crack and surrounding area with 80 grit sandpaper, then use J-B weld, and cover it well. It will not be a permanent solution, but will definitely get you by. I had mine patched for almost a month until I found a good enough deal. Keep in mind the V6 radiator will fit on your car no problem. Its just a little thicker.
My crack was at the top of the radiator, right under where the outlet is for the hose.
Good Luck.

My car

Last edited by Pearl01Strat; 07/20/2010 at 09:00 PM.
Pearl01Strat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/20/2010, 09:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
CreepnIn The Shadows

Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Aqua Slug Champion!
Vehicle: 03 GT, 95 TSI
3gEclipse86 seems to be well-liked by all3gEclipse86 seems to be well-liked by all3gEclipse86 seems to be well-liked by all3gEclipse86 seems to be well-liked by all3gEclipse86 seems to be well-liked by all3gEclipse86 seems to be well-liked by all3gEclipse86 seems to be well-liked by all3gEclipse86 seems to be well-liked by all3gEclipse86 seems to be well-liked by all3gEclipse86 seems to be well-liked by all3gEclipse86 seems to be well-liked by all
Send a message via AIM to 3gEclipse86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl01Strat View Post
I was in the same boat as you. For a temporary fix, dry the area well ( maybe drain it just a little) , sand the crack and surrounding area with 80 grit sandpaper, then use J-B weld, and cover it well. It will not be a permanent solution, but will definitely get you by. I had mine patched for almost a month until I found a good enough deal. Keep in mind the V6 radiator will fit on your car no problem. Its just a little thicker.
My crack was at the top of the radiator, right under where the outlet is for the hose.
Good Luck.
JB weld will work like he said. I used it on my cousin's radiator. His was leaking right above the lower neck of the radiator. No problems so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgcfireassasi View Post
does anyone know anyway I can put a turbo on my 01 spyder gt. i don't want it for power i want it for the car shows. so anything would help. maybe i would like to get on it from time to time..
3gEclipse86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/25/2010, 12:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Boobs!? WHERE!?!

Vehicle: 03 Eclipse 3.5L GT
Solar Klipse : who are you?Solar Klipse : who are you?Solar Klipse : who are you?Solar Klipse : who are you?
I never recommend repairing a radiator. If it cracked once, it's bound to again. I would definitely just replace it. All you need is a little bit of JB weld to break loose and get sucked into your water pump and destroy it.
You Got Electrical Questions? I've Got Answers!

6G72/74 Engine Swap
ECU Reflash/Tune (Courtesy of TX4Codeman)
AEM V2 CAI
RPW Long Tube Headers
KYB AGX Shocks
Tein S-Tech Lowering Springs
EBC Slotted Rotors
Stoptech SS Brake Lines
F1 Racing Stage 3 Clutch
F1 Racing Lightened Flywheel
Ingalls Stiffy Engine Damper
Solar Klipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07/25/2010, 06:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 Eclipse GT
Outatime616 : who are you?
I just replaced my radiator, it was $120 shipped and took about an hour to put it in. I don't trust those stop leak b/s. Have had two cars that I tried to quick fix like that and both times blew my head gasket, coincidence? I don't know but I don't like it haha
Outatime616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/19/2010, 12:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

I did try a patch, and it helped. It did not fix the problem but helped it limp along until I was able to get the money and buy a new radiator. Changed it this morning and all is well. Just took it for a drive and never even thought about overheating. Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 08/19/2010, 02:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
My Snail's Bigger =P

Vehicle: 03 GS-T/98 Expedition(EB)
03Quicksilver3G seems to be well-liked by all03Quicksilver3G seems to be well-liked by all03Quicksilver3G seems to be well-liked by all03Quicksilver3G seems to be well-liked by all03Quicksilver3G seems to be well-liked by all03Quicksilver3G seems to be well-liked by all03Quicksilver3G seems to be well-liked by all03Quicksilver3G seems to be well-liked by all03Quicksilver3G seems to be well-liked by all03Quicksilver3G seems to be well-liked by all03Quicksilver3G seems to be well-liked by all
Quote:
I did try a patch, and it helped. It did not fix the problem but helped it limp along until I was able to get the money and buy a new radiator. Changed it this morning and all is well. Just took it for a drive and never even thought about overheating. Thanks for everyone's help.
Did you end up getting an oem replacement or a dual core aluminum radiator?

My Quicksilver 3G:http://www.club3g.com/forum/members-...silver-3g.html
Sponsored by: Mishimoto
03Quicksilver3G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/19/2010, 04:50 PM   #12 (permalink)

Just an OEM replacement from Autozone. It was really easy to replace.
Old 08/19/2010, 04:53 PM   #13 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2004 WRX
Got Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by allGot Rice Boy seems to be well-liked by all
Quote:
How much did this run you?

My Old 2001 Eclipse
Got Rice Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/19/2010, 05:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
My Snail's Bigger =P

Vehicle: 03 GS-T/98 Expedition(EB)
03Quicksilver3G seems to be well-liked by all03Quicksilver3G seems to be well-liked by all03Quicksilver3G seems to be well-liked by all03Quicksilver3G seems to be well-liked by all03Quicksilver3G seems to be well-liked by all03Quicksilver3G seems to be well-liked by all03Quicksilver3G seems to be well-liked by all03Quicksilver3G seems to be well-liked by all03Quicksilver3G seems to be well-liked by all03Quicksilver3G seems to be well-liked by all03Quicksilver3G seems to be well-liked by all
Quote:
Oh, well hopefully this one does not crack on you...I went through two oem radiators, both cracked so I got a dual core, double row aluminum radiator, have not had a problem since

My Quicksilver 3G:http://www.club3g.com/forum/members-...silver-3g.html
Sponsored by: Mishimoto
03Quicksilver3G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08/19/2010, 07:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT
lionfire seems to be okaylionfire seems to be okaylionfire seems to be okaylionfire seems to be okaylionfire seems to be okaylionfire seems to be okay
RockAuto Auto Parts

Spend the $100.
lionfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.