Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

My car won't start after Two days of sitting?

66K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  radgoos 
#1 ·
I don't know what's going on!

My car as the title says won't work after it sits for like two days. It's like the battery is drained so I get a jump and it works fine.
But the thing is the car works fine after the jump, and then the next day if I try to start it up it works.
It's like something drains the car after it sits there. I've went to Autozone and they said my battery was fine, and even my alternator was fine also.

Any help would be appreciated!

#2 ·
You may have a short somewhere. Do you have any aftermarket electrical equipment in the car?

#3 ·
While Autozone says that your battery is good, how long have you had it? How long do you let the battery charge before you turn the car off for the night?

If your battery is dead or relatively dead, it will take some time for the alternator to fully charge the battery. While I don't know specifics, I wouldn't think that 15 minutes of driving would fully charge the battery. You can easily check if you have a drain by following the general methodology outlined HERE.

Check the easy stuff first and then proceed onto the more expensive, work intensive things.

#4 ·
Yes, I do have Subs speakers and 2 amps, and I've had them for like 3 years now. The battery, probably about the same.

Nothing has been installed that is electrical in some time. The last thing that was put in was a Diamante Throttle body and manifold.

Is there any way I can trace if there is a short?

#5 ·
You have probably have had some type of drain since you got your system and its just now starting to affect the battery. It might not test bad but it might be getting weaker. I would try to unhook your battery when you park it and wait the two days then try to start it when you hook it back up. If it starts you have some type of drain. If it dosen't you probably need a new battery.

#6 ·
It is rather difficult to pinpoint the source of your problem without the following information. Help us help you.

- How old is your battery?
- What brand is your battery?
- How long has this battery been installed in the vehicle?
- Is there any corrosion around either of your terminals?
- Are both terminals securely affixed to the battery's posts?
- Did you perform a quick check of the alternator belt?
- Is the belt in good shape? Is it tight?

Know that you must have a known good battery to properly and accurately test your charging system. Answer the above questions and we can move on to this if need be.

I think it's safe to say that your sound system isn't the culprit. I am assuming the current battery has been installed for 3 years as you said. It can't be pulling a large enough draw to kill the battery. If it had, this would have happened much sooner. It is possible it is pulling a draw now, but I suspect your battery is hanging you out to dry. Once you correct your no-start concern, you will definitely need to perform a current draw test.

Also, do not ever jumpstart a discharged or partially charged battery and expect the alternator to fully charge said battery. There is a reason it lost it's charge to begin with. Nine times out of ten, on the next key cycle the car will not start. If you are stranded, by all means do what you have to do. But make sure you find and repair the source of the problem afterwards.

#10 ·
It is rather difficult to pinpoint the source of your problem without the following information. Help us help you.

- How old is your battery?
- What brand is your battery?
- How long has this battery been installed in the vehicle?
- Is there any corrosion around either of your terminals?
- Are both terminals securely affixed to the battery's posts?
- Did you perform a quick check of the alternator belt?
- Is the belt in good shape? Is it tight?

Battery I believe is 3 years old

It is an Optima Red Top

It's been installed ever since I got it.

Not much, but there is a minute amount, not any that I imagine could have an effect on the battery.

I will check that when I get a chance

Same goes for the Alternator and belt.

-I will try the said method, by disconnecting the battery for two days, I have to make sure I get it taken care of before I go back to school.

#8 · (Edited)
Sounds like you got a parasitic draw. Disconnect the battery and let it sit for 2 days then recheck. Maybe you have a battery thats weak or something else. I've seen countless times amps short out or not turn off and just drain the battery. Best way to check is with amp gauge, could also be the PCM not going to sleep after about 10-15 min of the car sitting off.

#9 ·
Yeah I'd check your sound system. Easiest way is, if you turn the car off and you can still use the radio or the amps still stay on, then they're wired incorrectly.

#12 ·
Optima batteries are sealed and you can not check them.

Yeah, I would try the two day disconnected too. That would tell you if something in your car is left on and you didn't know it.

Also, you could put a battery charger on it overnight on the lowest setting and see what happens.

I've my optima for about 5 years now with no issues.

#14 ·
I had a similar issue with my wife's Grand Prix. It ended up being the terminal came loose inside the battery and completely separated, we would hook it up to the battery charger and it would work (My guess is, when we would attach the cable to the battery we would push the terminal back in far enough to charge). It would work for about a day but after that it would be dead again. Oh and Autozone said the battery was fine also. Just a thought.

#18 ·
good procedure, but I've seen alternators fail when they get warmed up from extended load. I'd turn EVERYTHING on, the headlights, fogs, high beams, dome lights, blower motor on high, rear defrost, etc. and watch it over the course of 2-5 minutes, if its still steady after 5 minutes and not slowly dropping you're probably alright. a good alt will never dip below battery voltage (12.5-12.6), 10.2 is way low for a good working alt to be putting out.

#24 · (Edited)
Seeing as how my issue sounded pretty similar, I figured I'd post here.

My car seems to have intermittent starting problems when it has been sitting for a while (over night or while I'm at work). When I turn the key the instrument cluster lights come on, and I hear a click, but not all the time sometimes nothing at all besides the lights. However if I try again, usually takes a couple more tries, it fires right up.

So I took it over to AutoZone and had them test the battery/alternator on the car. Tested good.

I replaced the positive battery terminal because it looked iffy. Negative terminal is still in great shape. Date on battery sticker is Aug. 2010, however its peeling and battery was in the car when I bought it used, I don't really trust the place I got it from, but that's another story. Car is stock (no amps, subs).

I picked up a power monitor like this one:
BT-25:
Before starting I get between 12.1 to 12.5 volts. When started its at 14-13.9 volts.

Right, that's all I got for now, I value any input you guys might have, feel free to ask questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.