Brand new Brakes Grinding - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11/10/2010, 12:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Can't Spell.........

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT
bassnitup seems to be okaybassnitup seems to be okaybassnitup seems to be okaybassnitup seems to be okaybassnitup seems to be okaybassnitup seems to be okay
Question Brand new Brakes Grinding

So, I just put on new rotors and pads in the rear. As well as new fluid in the system, and new front brakes about 3 +/- months ago. Now, I am a decent enough mechanic that I feel everything went ok, but I believe any mistake could have been made. So, the first thing I noticed was a grinding while I am braking, louder at slower speeds. The second is a rubbing at lower speeds with no braking (as well as in turns, it does get louder in turns). I did compress the wheel cylinders all the way, and use that fluid level as my indicator level..... So it may be possible that there is too much fluid, and maybe the pads can't retract all the way. .... But that makes no sense, I think I'm just kind of digging for answeres there.

Also, kind of related, over the past month or so, there has been a pulsating noise when I brake that I assosiated with the fact that I knew I needed new rear pads. Except that It is still there among these new noises. If anyone could help me with either issue, it would be apreciated. I will be opening it up when I get home from work tomorrow. thanks guys
bassnitup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11/10/2010, 09:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Angry Gorilla

Vehicle: 03 Eclipse GTS
indyguy699 seems to be okayindyguy699 seems to be okayindyguy699 seems to be okayindyguy699 seems to be okayindyguy699 seems to be okayindyguy699 seems to be okay
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassnitup View Post
I did compress the wheel cylinders all the way, and use that fluid level as my indicator level..... So it may be possible that there is too much fluid, and maybe the pads can't retract all the way. ....
You mean you cracked the bleeder valvue and dumped the old fluid right? You just used that amount as a guide on how much to add of new fluid?

Can you discribe the pulsing sound more? Could be several things even a wheel bearing.
03 Eclipse GTS: K&N box filter, Ripp long tube headers, MSD Ignition, Blaster 3 coil, Walbro pump, AEM UEGO, Tactrix 2.0, Ecu Flash, Evoscan, blue Accel wires, NGK copper, 4 x polyurethane motor mounts, black tyc tail lights and full Pioneer stereo system (7 speaker setup).
indyguy699 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/10/2010, 10:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Waiting to spool

Vehicle: 01 Gt
Black_out seems to be okayBlack_out seems to be okayBlack_out seems to be okayBlack_out seems to be okayBlack_out seems to be okayBlack_out seems to be okay
Have you greased the slider pins? Greased the pads? If you didn't put brake lube on the slider pins or the pads you're going to be grinding because the calipers going to lock.

Eclipse tuners are a strange sort. They don't like talking about wings or color-matching side skirts and interiors. Eclipse tuners are performance-obsessed sleeper fanatics who dream only about downpipes, exhaust gases, and wastegates. Their cars aren't pretty, but have the ability to spank you silly on the highway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveodotcom1 View Post
Money can buy you a race car, but money can't buy you the skill to race it.
Black_out is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/10/2010, 11:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

SpeedEuphoria : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_out View Post
Have you greased the slider pins? Greased the pads? If you didn't put brake lube on the slider pins or the pads you're going to be grinding because the calipers going to lock.
^^ Listen to him,

brakes are somewhat simple, the piston applies the pads, the slider pins/edges of pads need lube so that the rotor can "throw off" the pads after the piston releases(havent looked at these brakes on this car yet but if it has a clip that seats into the piston the piston draws 1 side pad off). The slider pins also make the pad wear even.

Anyway disassemble and lube the pins and pads. If its froze you may need a new bracket or something to polish the bracket/pins after you get them unstuck
2x Sundown SA 12's Soundstream DTR 2200D in 3.3cubes aeroport
Diehard Platinum 65 series front, Optima yellow top rear

The race car:
89 Dodge Spirit, 2.4DOHC SC6152turbo, SDS standalone, built RMVB 3spd auto
add slicks 10's or bust
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/264180...irit-bcm-mi-us

Last edited by SpeedEuphoria; 11/10/2010 at 11:56 AM.
SpeedEuphoria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/10/2010, 12:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hammer Time!

Vehicle: THIS HOUSE!!
jaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club existsjaloosk is one of the reasons this club exists
Did you install the pads backwards?
jaloosk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/10/2010, 01:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Angry Gorilla

indyguy699 seems to be okayindyguy699 seems to be okayindyguy699 seems to be okayindyguy699 seems to be okayindyguy699 seems to be okayindyguy699 seems to be okay
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaloosk View Post
Did you install the pads backwards?
They last ALOT longer that way
03 Eclipse GTS: K&N box filter, Ripp long tube headers, MSD Ignition, Blaster 3 coil, Walbro pump, AEM UEGO, Tactrix 2.0, Ecu Flash, Evoscan, blue Accel wires, NGK copper, 4 x polyurethane motor mounts, black tyc tail lights and full Pioneer stereo system (7 speaker setup).
Old 11/10/2010, 02:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Can't Spell.........

bassnitup seems to be okaybassnitup seems to be okaybassnitup seems to be okaybassnitup seems to be okaybassnitup seems to be okaybassnitup seems to be okay
I did grease the pins. As I said, I am a decent enough mechanic that I feel everything went ok..... I don't know. Going to go take a look (yes, to make sure I didn't put the pads on backwards ) and see if I can find something wrong. Maybe just a break-in period? I don't know. And, , I just used the old amount as a guide for new fluid, but that was after compressing the wheel cylinders, and before allowing them to reach the pads, so looking back, the level would be slightly lower..... I don't know. thanks for the help, if any other thoughts arise, let me know.

As for the pulsating, it sounds like the sound you would get if there was one rough spot on the rotor. then it hits the pads every time around. but the rotor is smooth and only a couple months old.
Old 11/10/2010, 05:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Can't Spell.........

don't know. Fluid leven was in fact high, so I fixed that. Other than that, everything looked ok, cleaned it, it seems to be mainly the passenger side, and the noise is still there. Less obvious when I'm braking, but deffinately there at low speeds with no brakes...... break in period? Car's stopping, don't really care anymore. lol
Old 11/10/2010, 06:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Angry Gorilla

If you greased the pins well, then you should not hear your pads hitting the rotor when not braking. I think you have either a bad tire or wheel bearing. An easy test to see which is to swap sides with the tires and see if the noise changes sides.
Old 11/10/2010, 07:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Can't Spell.........

Tires are dirrectional, and when I was spinning the wheel, it was clearly the rotor making the noise. Just confusing. Perhaps I will take off the pins and add more grease or something (have to replace guide pin because I nearly rounded it off anyway, might as well do it now) and see if that helps.
Old 11/11/2010, 08:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
Angry Gorilla

Quote:
Tires are dirrectional, and when I was spinning the wheel, it was clearly the rotor making the noise. Just confusing. Perhaps I will take off the pins and add more grease or something (have to replace guide pin because I nearly rounded it off anyway, might as well do it now) and see if that helps.
If you have to take all that apart anyway, when you have the caliper off spin the hub and see if you hear anything unusual.
Old 11/11/2010, 09:02 AM   #12 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT Fed
Outlawtm2 : who are you?
How many miles do you have on the new pads? I had to wait about a month or two for my Hawk pads and my EBC Red Stuff pads to break in. They were rubbing without me applying the brakes.
Outlawtm2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/11/2010, 10:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
Angry Gorilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawtm2 View Post
How many miles do you have on the new pads? I had to wait about a month or two for my Hawk pads and my EBC Red Stuff pads to break in. They were rubbing without me applying the brakes.
Use this or similar:

It is a sticky spray that you apply on the back of the pads that will keep them off of the rotor if you grease your pins well enough.

Good stuff, I have used it a lot.
Old 11/11/2010, 10:21 AM   #14 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT Fed
Outlawtm2 : who are you?
Yeah I might have to get this. I have seen it at work (NAPA), and have thought about using it since I get some loud squeaking under light braking. But I don't think it would have helped with my new pad issue. The pads were pressed hard against the rotors without any input from brake pedal. I could sit on a slight incline without moving.
Outlawtm2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/11/2010, 01:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Can't Spell.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawtm2 View Post
They made the noise brand new, and now only have 50+/- mile on them.... Think I'm going to go get the new pins next time I'm in town and put them on next time it's warm
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyguy699 View Post
Use this or similar:

It is a sticky spray that you apply on the back of the pads that will keep them off of the rotor if you grease your pins well enough.

Good stuff, I have used it a lot.
Will do this too on all four wheels. Hope it works.

As for the wheel hub, I will spin it as well, but when I did that during the job, I noticed nothing.... Worth taking a look at though. Thanks guys. Any more ideas before I get in there again would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11/22/2010, 06:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Can't Spell.........

Put in new pins today and used the spray. Then noise appears to be gone except in sharper/hard turns. I think it's just a combination of a breakin period along with the need for new pins and so on. Not worried at this point.

Now, onto the other problem. I think moreso now that it is the wheel bearing. Spun the rears when they were off and everything seemed ok. The sound seems like it is coming from the passengers front though so I will look at that. What exactly should I look for? Just odd noises or will something appear obviously wrong? And just an update, it now happens pretty much every time I hit the brakes. Just a repetative.... not a chirp but not a grind. Little high pitched to be a grind if that makes any sense... thanks again
Old 11/22/2010, 06:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Swing the Hammer

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GT-T
Silvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be newSilvertune - if you don't know me, you must be new
Have someone hop in the trunk. I thought my grinding was coming from the passenger front and it was actually from the back (loud exhaust though so its harder for me to tell). Brakes will make some noise for awhile, at least mine did. Then they quieted right down. If all else fails you may need to rebuild your calipers, mine were not backing off enough so in most cases I could hear them.

Did you adjust your parking brake at all? Mine was the biggest PITA to get adjusted right, I ended up tightening it down and breaking in the pads.

When you spin the wheel bearings make sure you listen really close and pay attention to what you're feeling. What makes noise with 600lbs+ of weight on it may only make a barely audible bump without. That's how I missed mine. Went back and listened and I could hear it bump once every round.
Silvertune is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11/22/2010, 11:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
Can't Spell.........

hm. I'll look closer but I am pretty certain that it is coming from the fronts. I am going to take them apart and use that spray stuff on the next nice day anyway so I'll look then and update here as to what is going on.
Old 12/01/2010, 11:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
Dear Lord Baby Jesus

Vehicle: 00 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
zjkindler needs to be reminded to breathe.
Send a message via MSN to zjkindler
i know you said you think its coming from the front but i strongly recommend checking your parking break as stated above! I changed my breaks a couple months back and i had the same pulsing sound your describing! It ended up being my parking brake.....what i did was went out and drove the car in the parking lot gunned it and pulled the parking break to a stop and did that a couple times and it fixed that problem.....not saying that your wrong but it sound exactly like the problem i had!
zjkindler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/01/2010, 11:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
Can't Spell.........

Thanks. I think if I find it to be the parking brake, I'll adjust it properly, but thanks
Old 12/02/2010, 09:58 AM   #21 (permalink)
Dear Lord Baby Jesus

Vehicle: 00 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
zjkindler needs to be reminded to breathe.
Send a message via MSN to zjkindler
also what you could do if jack your car up put it in neutral and manually spin the wheel by hand and see which wheel is making the noise......make sure you block the wheels so it wont roll....maybe see if that works?
zjkindler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/02/2010, 01:00 PM   #22 (permalink)
Can't Spell.........

see, that we had talked about higher up in the thread, The problem I am running in to is that a) all the weight is off the car, so any noise is so tiny that I can't hear it as it is. and b) it only happens some of the time when I hit my brakes while moving. That's hard to simulate by hand. oh well, I'll figure it out one of these days.
Old 03/30/2011, 09:01 PM   #23 (permalink)

Vehicle: '01 Eclipse GT
brian74 has a few friends herebrian74 has a few friends herebrian74 has a few friends herebrian74 has a few friends herebrian74 has a few friends herebrian74 has a few friends herebrian74 has a few friends herebrian74 has a few friends herebrian74 has a few friends here
So I have a similar problem. I just put new pads and rotors on my rear and the brakes make a pulsating grinding sound when I am at low speeds and when I turn right. Is there actually like a break-in time for pads and rotors because I just did them today.
brian74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/30/2011, 10:58 PM   #24 (permalink)
Can't Spell.........

It really depends on the pads and rotors. from what I found out when I was having the problem, better quality stuff doesn't really need to be broken in, cheaper stuff may. My issue never fully stopped happening, It hasn't gotten worse, and it doesn't happen all the time now, so I'm just waiting for warm weather to crack it open and really look again
Old 03/31/2011, 06:06 AM   #25 (permalink)

Vehicle: '01 Eclipse GT
brian74 has a few friends herebrian74 has a few friends herebrian74 has a few friends herebrian74 has a few friends herebrian74 has a few friends herebrian74 has a few friends herebrian74 has a few friends herebrian74 has a few friends herebrian74 has a few friends here
Oh I see, I will probably do the same then. Thanks!
brian74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03/31/2011, 06:24 AM   #26 (permalink)
Suk me balls

Vehicle: Maxima SE 6spd Manual
raz_76 seems to be well-liked by allraz_76 seems to be well-liked by allraz_76 seems to be well-liked by allraz_76 seems to be well-liked by allraz_76 seems to be well-liked by allraz_76 seems to be well-liked by allraz_76 seems to be well-liked by allraz_76 seems to be well-liked by allraz_76 seems to be well-liked by allraz_76 seems to be well-liked by allraz_76 seems to be well-liked by all
Quote:
As I said, I am a decent enough mechanic that I feel everything went ok.....
I like you, not here to bash you but please stop saying that. If you were a mechanic then this thread would have never been started. You're just a weekend grease monkey. BOT, sorry.
Old 03/31/2011, 11:29 AM   #27 (permalink)
Can't Spell.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz_76 View Post
I like you, not here to bash you but please stop saying that. If you were a mechanic then this thread would have never been started. You're just a weekend grease monkey. BOT, sorry.
Just sayin' I was sure that there was nothing I did wrong. However I said that like forever ago, this was a bump from an old thread.
Old 05/05/2011, 11:59 PM   #28 (permalink)

mojocracker : who are you?
Did you ever figure out the problem? I am having the exact same issues.. grinding when braking, louder at slower speeds and rubbing during slow turns etc.. no recent brake job though. just started happening the other day.
mojocracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/07/2011, 12:35 AM   #29 (permalink)
Can't Spell.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojocracker View Post
Did you ever figure out the problem? I am having the exact same issues.. grinding when braking, louder at slower speeds and rubbing during slow turns etc.. no recent brake job though. just started happening the other day.
If it just happens out of the blue like that, there is no way to determine what your problem is from here. You have to get in there and take a look and see whats rubbing. Where does it sound like it's coming from?
Old 10/12/2011, 07:02 AM   #30 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse
EmeraldEclips : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to EmeraldEclips
Just changed my rotors, and I am getting a grinding and loud rough clicking noise from the passenger side, when I turn right. At first, I thought it was the back brake plate so I pushed that back a little, but nothing changed, and it's still really bad. I'm taking it to my mechanic, because the studs are very loose on that side. Maybe that's part of it? I'm totally lost. I've changed tons of rotors and brakes on cars, and have never had this kind of problem.
EmeraldEclips is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10/13/2011, 12:50 PM   #31 (permalink)
Can't Spell.........

I ended up just putting on brand new shims and some of that "Disk Brake Quite" and that did it. I also have new guide pins all around but that wasn't the source, just nice to have.
Old 10/13/2011, 03:17 PM   #32 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse
EmeraldEclips : who are you?
Send a message via AIM to EmeraldEclips
So, got back from the mechanic, and discovered that the caliper is loose. It's loose because the slider/guide pins are loose inside of the housing of the caliper. So, I'm going to try and see if new pins will work. If not, I guess I have to replace the entire caliper. Hopefully it won't be too hard to find a 295mm twin piston calipers for cheap. So far, 3 out of 3 parts I've gotten from RPW have not lasted longer than two years. Pisses me off to know how much money was wasted.
EmeraldEclips is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.