Car cranks won't turn over - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12/16/2010, 02:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

turbomax97 : who are you?
Car cranks won't turn over

Wife's 2001 Eclipse GT cranks just fine. I can also smell the fuel as it's flooding the longer I crank it, but it won't turn over.... I can hear an occasional pop - indicating a cylinder firing here and there but it just won't crank.

This kind of happened out of nowhere.... It's not the battery or the starter... I'm thinking it's a sensor issue or maybe a distributor?

I guess I'm looking for a list of common issues for this problem to narrow the problem down. Also if it sounds like a crank/camshaft position sensor, locations would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance!
turbomax97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12/16/2010, 10:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Waiting to spool

Vehicle: 01 Gt
Black_out seems to be okayBlack_out seems to be okayBlack_out seems to be okayBlack_out seems to be okayBlack_out seems to be okayBlack_out seems to be okay
Mods? Miles? CEL? Have you tested for both spark and fuel?

Eclipse tuners are a strange sort. They don't like talking about wings or color-matching side skirts and interiors. Eclipse tuners are performance-obsessed sleeper fanatics who dream only about downpipes, exhaust gases, and wastegates. Their cars aren't pretty, but have the ability to spank you silly on the highway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveodotcom1 View Post
Money can buy you a race car, but money can't buy you the skill to race it.
Black_out is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/16/2010, 10:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Farts In The Tub

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8
Lethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends here

crank sensor is right there. gotta remove the harmonic balancer to get to it.
Lethal1ty17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/17/2010, 12:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Dangler

Vehicle: 85 mr2 (20v silvertop)
espguitarist3 seems to be okayespguitarist3 seems to be okayespguitarist3 seems to be okayespguitarist3 seems to be okayespguitarist3 seems to be okayespguitarist3 seems to be okay
fuel sounds like no spark. how is your cap/rotor? how about connections in the distributer? have you let it sit in case it is only flooded?

is your eclipse Rice Special faster then a civic Sportscar Impersonator?

Proud author on thetheoryofeverythingblog.com
espguitarist3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/17/2010, 12:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Farts In The Tub

Lethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends hereLethal1ty17 has a few friends here
it does sound like a no spark problem though. check your distributor cap/rotor, wires and plugs.
Old 12/28/2010, 01:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 GT
Dagan : who are you?
Not to sound mean but make sure that you have premium gas in there too. Then I would start ohming out sensors and other electronics.
Dagan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/28/2010, 02:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Farts In The Tub

regular gas wouldnt cause it to not start
Old 12/28/2010, 03:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2004 Eclipse Spyder GT
LostSoul sucksLostSoul sucksLostSoul sucks
Not to sound mean but....

Premium Gas = 91 Octane
Unleaded = 89.

What factor can we asses that would make the car not start by having -2 points of octane? Think dude....

Please stop giving stupid ass advice.

Once again, you are proven stupid in your posts.

Or let me guess, you thought it could be that, but forgot to research it. Right?

Dude, we appreciate the input, but can you post something that makes sense?

***Deagan, maybe the OP should clean his FPR with a Q-Tip and some Carb cleaner? What do you think??***

OP: My car did the exact same thing when my ECU went out on me. It would flood and crank but wouldnt spark.

Last edited by LostSoul; 12/28/2010 at 06:31 AM.
LostSoul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/28/2010, 02:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2001 GT
Dagan : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSoul View Post
Not to sound mean but....

Premium Gas = 91 Octane
Unleaded = 89.

What factor can we asses that would make the car not start by having -2 points of octane? Think dude....

Please stop giving stupid ass advice.

Once again, you are proven stupid in your posts.

Or let me guess, you thought it could be that, but forgot to research it. Right?

Dude, we appreciate the input, but can you post something that makes sense?

***Deagan, maybe the OP should clean his FPR with a Q-Tip and some Carb cleaner? What do you think??***

OP: My car did the exact same thing when my ECU went out on me. It would flood and crank but wouldnt spark.

Actually yea fuel can thats why you are required to put premium in and there is 87 gas to genius. When I bought my car the guy who delivered it was cheap and put 87 in it. Guess what had to have a tune up because some of my spark plugs got fouled out. So if all your spark plugs foul out you get a no start. Maybe you should do some research lost soul.
Dagan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/28/2010, 03:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Exacerbated Member

Vehicle: 2kFsGt5sp/TbPP
WorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wide
1. The extra octain is required to eliminate nock in the V6. Not having it will not prevent the car from starting.

2. Making other excuses to mask your foolishness is off point and petty.

3. The term 'ohming out' is just retarded on so many levels.
WorldWind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/28/2010, 04:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Farts In The Tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagan View Post
Actually yea fuel can thats why you are required to put premium in and there is 87 gas to genius. When I bought my car the guy who delivered it was cheap and put 87 in it. Guess what had to have a tune up because some of my spark plugs got fouled out. So if all your spark plugs foul out you get a no start. Maybe you should do some research lost soul.
you're an idiot.

they wouldnt sell a car that absolutely absolutely REQUIRED premium without being able to run on 87 regular because some people will use it. i used 87 in my GT for a year and a half and NEVER had problems. i never had spark plugs foul, never had excessive carbon build up (you can see bare metal on the tops of my pistons) never had starting problems even when it was 0 degrees, never noticed a mpg difference and couldnt tell any appreciable power loss by doing so either. some people wont agree with that last part but its just my experiences with it.

so no, running 87 regular wont cause any problems, 93 premium is ideal but not required. the knock sensor will retard the timing if there is pre-detonation. thats the beauty of computer controlled cars bud.
Old 12/28/2010, 06:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Exacerbated Member

WorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wideWorldWind is recognized club-wide
Hold on, hold on... Let’s not resort to name calling. Lethal, you are probably correct in pointing to the crank sensor, but don’t let the ignore, get your panties in a bunch.

The “they wouldnt” implies that you, may be as you say. Who is the they, in they wouldn't?

Is it some unnamed car dealer? My experience is that car dealers will do most anything.

Just because Dagon is severely off track is no reason for you to go into personal attack mode.

Turbomax, your wife’s car may very well be having a problem with the shielded wires leading to the sensor that Leathel pointed out, but before you replace the sensor and its lead, look to see if it has been rubbing against one of the pulleys. If so, some electrical tape will fix the problem. The common issue is that the restraining tie-wrap that holds the sensors lead wire breaks and then the wire flops around comes in contact with a moving part and the car dies. It is the first of many places to check.

Last edited by WorldWind; 12/28/2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12/28/2010, 06:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Farts In The Tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldWind View Post
Hold on, hold on... Let’s not resort to name calling. Lethal, you are probably correct in pointing to the crank sensor, but don’t let the ignore, get your panties in a bunch.

The “they wouldnt” implies that you, may be as you say. Who is the they, in they wouldn't?

Is it some unnamed car dealer? My experience is that car dealers will do most anything.

Just because Dagon is severely off track is no reason for you to go into personal attack mode.
i called him an idiot for trying to say that it would not start with regular gas in it. thats like saying it wont run if you use 10w30 oil instead of 5w30. misinformation like that gives forums a bad name.

"they" being mitsubishi or any other major car manufacturer (toyota, nissan, ford, etc), not a dealership. a major company such as mitsubishi couldnt afford to sell a, for lack of better words, economy sports coupe, that could ONLY run on premium 93 gas, because some people dont use premium, and if every car they made wouldnt run when someone didnt use premium, mitsubishi would get a bad rep of having cars that just stopped working and you would see them on the side of the road left and right. even an evo will run on regular 87 gas. it wont run as well as it should, but it will still start up and drive.
Old 12/28/2010, 09:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Exacerbated Member

You are off point. How does that help the OP?
Old 12/28/2010, 09:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
am cat

Vehicle: 2007 Camaro
Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.Bitter is clearly one sexy bitch.
jumped timing?
2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/28/2010, 10:32 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagan View Post
I never put 87, so I would assume, nones of the member of this board would either. I did however fuel up with 89, because the gas station did not have premium at the time. Guess what though, car started, and drove just fine.

And dude, cheap gas would NOT foul all your sparkplugs. Gas is flammable, no matter 87 octane or 91. Only difference is knock.

Last edited by LostSoul; 12/28/2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12/28/2010, 10:43 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter View Post
jumped timing?
If it jumped timing, the car should still start if no significant valve damage was done.

It would idle rough, and maybe start for a bit and then die. However you would be able to hear the loud valve tick from pistons hitting them. So I doubt it's his timing. Our cars can jump 3 teeth, bend valves but still turn on and run. Know this from personal experience lol.

Lethal, I agree on your points pertaining to "car manufacturers/dealerships"
It wouldn't make sense for the manufacturer nor the buyer to have a car that ONLY runs on 91 - 93 octane.

@Dagan: Take your family Dodge Caravan, and put 93 octane in it. Would it not start because it requires unleaded only? No...so why in the hell would this happen to a 3G?

You know that big round thing on top of your shoulders? Try 'ohming it' see how far 'ohmed out' it is.

Last edited by LostSoul; 12/28/2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12/28/2010, 10:46 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter View Post
jumped timing?
Bitter I want to see your 2007 Camaro, haha!

Bet its sweet huh? Lol.
Old 12/03/2012, 01:14 PM   #19 (permalink)

InoSalinas : who are you?
camshaft

were is located the camshaft position sensor on a mitsubishi eclipse 2001 3.0 V6 manual
InoSalinas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/03/2012, 01:19 PM   #20 (permalink)

InoSalinas : who are you?
were is located the camshaft position sensor on a mitsubishi eclipse 2001 3.0 V6 manual
InoSalinas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.