Engine louder than it was before timing belt was replaced. - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums
Go Back   Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports
Club3G Decals

Club3G.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12/30/2010, 10:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Vehicle: Black 2000 RS Eclipse
brianc : who are you?
Engine louder than it was before timing belt was replaced.

2000 Eclipse RS
Manual Transmission
around 80,000 miles (can't remember exactly)

MODS: CAI, Carbon fiber hood (previous owner installed; painted black to match the car), 2 10" subs w/ 1000W amp, aftermarket radio. Everything else is stock.

Sorry if it is a lot to read. I didn't know how much I needed to include so I figured I would give as much information as possible.

[EDIT]: Also, I have searched a little and found this was about the closest to my problem: Timing belt changed, Loud roar post-2k RPM.

PROBLEM:

I bought the car in May of this year (5/10/10). Again I can't remember the exact milage, but I believe it was around 76,000. When i bought the car, the salesman said he did not know whether the timing belt had been replaced or not. So I was going to replace it as soon as I could. (Hindsite: I should have replaced it in the next few days, but I didn't have time) The second week I had it, I was going to take it to the shop on Saturday to have the belt replaced. Well, on Wednesday it went on me.

I woke up wednesday and left for work. The car seemed a little sluggish driving to work but I didn't think much of it. And not having my car for long, i didnt know whether it was just me or the car was actual not running like normal. After work, i forgot about it. I drove to the gym and it seemed okay. After leaving the gym i really noticed there was something wrong. The car had no pick up and wasn't running right. About a mile from the gym my oil light came on and it started running rough. And i was like oh sh!t, not good. So i pulled over, turned it off and got it towed to a shop. They told me the timing belt went and would have to be replaced. They also said it was missing 3 teeth on the belt? I don't know why..? Any ideas? They also said no valves were bent and the internals of the engine were okay.

Anyways, after i got it back, i drove it and it seemed okay. So the one day i decided to push it and it didn't feel right. It almost felt like i was pushing it past the redline. But it was only around 4500 rpms.. Like it is maxed out and the engine gets LOUD, really loud; nothing like it was prior to having the belt replaced. I took it back to the shop and explained what was going on. They said it was fine and nothing was wrong.

To this day, whenever i bring it up it feels like there isn't any power on the upper end. It runs fine as long as i don't dog it (which i rarely ever do). I am just scared to push it past 4500 rpms because of how loud it gets and how it runs.. Prior to the timing belt being changed, it would run to 6k easy without it running rough or sounding like it was getting pushed too hard.

So I guess my question is: Could there be something wrong? Timing off? Valves a little bent? Something else?

Sorry again for the lengthy post. I appreciate anyone reading this thread, and would be very appreciative of any input.

Thanks!!

Last edited by brianc; 12/30/2010 at 10:31 AM.
brianc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12/30/2010, 10:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cola

Vehicle: 06Kia/ 5Series E39
cgraham897 : who are you?cgraham897 : who are you?cgraham897 : who are you?
When I had replaced my timing belt, it was louder as well. Just give it a week. Everything needs to settle-in.
cgraham897 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/30/2010, 10:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgraham897 View Post
When I had replaced my timing belt, it was louder as well. Just give it a week. Everything needs to settle-in.
It's been about 6 months now.. I told my dad it doesn't feel right and he thinks it's fine. The shop also said it was fine and running normal. So i left it go. And I rarely bring it up past 3500 rpms so I don't ever hear the noise. But I still feel like something is off.
Old 12/30/2010, 10:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cola

Vehicle: 06Kia/ 5Series E39
cgraham897 : who are you?cgraham897 : who are you?cgraham897 : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianc View Post
It's been about 6 months now.. I told my dad it doesn't feel right and he thinks it's fine. The shop also said it was fine and running normal. So i left it go. And I rarely bring it up past 3500 rpms so I don't ever hear the noise. But I still feel like something is off.
Because it feels sluggish?

Its a stock rs... I hope you aren't expecting it to be fast.

Are you throwing any codes?
Check for vaccuum leaks.
cgraham897 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/30/2010, 11:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgraham897 View Post
Because it feels sluggish?

Its a stock rs... I hope you aren't expecting it to be fast.

Are you throwing any codes?
Check for vaccuum leaks.
Haha naw. I know it's slow. It's not sluggish, it just doesn't run right above 4000-4500 rpms.
The last time i got the codes checked it was a O2 sensor. That was it.
And all right, I'll check for leaks. Thanks.
Old 12/31/2010, 03:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2004 Eclipse Spyder GT
LostSoul sucksLostSoul sucksLostSoul sucks
Mine had the same problem, except its a GT manual.

An inexperienced mechanic didn't time my car correctly, which made it run sluggish or gutless at high RPM's.

Check your timing.
LostSoul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12/31/2010, 05:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
passport applied for

Vehicle: 03 spyder gts
tomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by manytomsoutdoor is well-liked by many
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSoul View Post

An inexperienced mechanic didn't time my car correctly, which made it run sluggish or gutless at high RPM's.

Check your timing.
I agree!! i have done belts on the V6 and the 4g64 and neither one sounded different. I can't come up with any reason why it should be louder

after rereading your post i see you said the belt went on you, imo something is not right!
Old 12/31/2010, 05:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
hates "smart" people

Vehicle: 2006 TSX
primula is God.primula is God.primula is God.primula is God.primula is God.primula is God.primula is God.primula is God.primula is God.primula is God.primula is God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSoul View Post

Check your timing.
This too.

My engine sounded rougher at normal after the belt change. Then it gets really loud once past 4000 rpm, like the whole engine is going to fall apart. Took 3 attempts in the past 6 months to get it right. I ended up giving this to the mechanic to refer to: Timing Belt VFAQ
Cause: The mechanic did not align my oil pump properly.
Old 12/31/2010, 05:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hates being a 2010

Vehicle: 2000 Eclipse GS
00JStew3G : who are you?00JStew3G : who are you?00JStew3G : who are you?00JStew3G : who are you?00JStew3G : who are you?
When you get in the upper RPM's, does your accelerator pedal and shifter vibrate a lot?
00JStew3G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/04/2011, 05:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2002 Acura RSX type S
ETE Racing 3g : who are you?
I have a 2001 gs that is doing the exact same thing. Runs fine until i get to 4000 rpm then it gets super loud and has no pick up, feels like its redlining at 4500. I havnt had anything done to the timing belt but i fixed a header leak i had and it didnt help. So i pulled out the spark plugs and one had oil all over it so i replaced the plugs and the plug gaskets as well as the valve cover gasket, still nothing. Any ideas?
ETE Racing 3g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01/04/2011, 06:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Hates being a 2010

00JStew3G : who are you?00JStew3G : who are you?00JStew3G : who are you?00JStew3G : who are you?00JStew3G : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETE Racing 3g View Post
I have a 2001 gs that is doing the exact same thing. Runs fine until i get to 4000 rpm then it gets super loud and has no pick up, feels like its redlining at 4500. I havnt had anything done to the timing belt but i fixed a header leak i had and it didnt help. So i pulled out the spark plugs and one had oil all over it so i replaced the plugs and the plug gaskets as well as the valve cover gasket, still nothing. Any ideas?
Something got messed up with your timing. The EXACT same thing happened to me. I got my car back, and it could hardly reach 5k. The guy said that I was making all of this up and that it did all of this before. Turns out he was wrong and did it all for free lol. Its either the balance shaft or the oil pump, I dont remember which one. Somethings not in right
Old 01/04/2011, 06:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
hates "smart" people

Vehicle: 2006 TSX
primula is God.primula is God.primula is God.primula is God.primula is God.primula is God.primula is God.primula is God.primula is God.primula is God.primula is God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00JStew3G View Post
Something got messed up with your timing. The EXACT same thing happened to me. I got my car back, and it could hardly reach 5k. The guy said that I was making all of this up and that it did all of this before. Turns out he was wrong and did it all for free lol. Its either the balance shaft or the oil pump, I dont remember which one. Somethings not in right
Mine was the oil pump, there is a 2nd balance shaft geared to the oil pump.

Old 01/04/2011, 06:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Hates being a 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by primula View Post
Mine was the oil pump, there is a 2nd balance shaft geared to the oil pump.

Yeaaahhh thats what it was, now I remember. They didnt put the second balance shaft back in right and it wouldnt turn...
Old 01/04/2011, 07:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00JStew3G View Post

cool thanks man
Old 01/04/2011, 07:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

how much you think it will run me to get it fixed?
Old 01/04/2011, 08:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
Hates being a 2010

Well it kind of depends how long ago you got it done, and if its a trustworthy shop. Id go back to them and tell them you think one of the balance shafts didnt get installed right, have them tear it down and do it again. It seems to be fairly common problem when having shops do timing on this car lol. To be honest it should be free.. it was their mistake (if that is whats wrong)
Old 01/04/2011, 08:44 PM   #17 (permalink)

the timing belt hasn't been worked on before so im not sure thats the problem
Old 01/06/2011, 11:43 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETE Racing 3g View Post
That's exactly what mine is doing. I won't push it any farther than 4500 because I feel like i'm redlining and don't wanna blow the engine. That'd suck. And in an earlier quote: there is a ton of vibration in my pedal and it's loud, really loud. My dad thinks i'm makin it up and doesn't understand why I'd push it that far anyways. I said that's beside the point. There is something wrong.

So thanks for the help guys. I'm gonna take it to a shop and get them to check it again. Hopefully the shop that did it will fix it for free...since it's their fault anyways. They probably won't because they did it so long ago. But it's worth a shot.

Thanks again!

Last edited by brianc; 01/07/2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02/23/2011, 10:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
---MCR---

Vehicle: 03 GS Spyder 5SPD
GS03Spyder : who are you?GS03Spyder : who are you?
i am having the same exact loud noise/no pickup/engine "strain" problem, been 6 months and no one ive brought it to can figure it out, even though i keep saying the timing is fucked up
Old 02/24/2011, 04:01 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS03Spyder View Post
i am having the same exact loud noise/no pickup/engine "strain" problem, been 6 months and no one ive brought it to can figure it out, even though i keep saying the timing is fucked up

Yeah, same here. The places I have taken it say it's fine. And I know it's not because it wasn't like this before. It runs like shit the higher I get in the RPMs. A lot of my noise was due to my motor mounts being shot. I still have one that is f'd up and is making noise. But I know that's not the problem because the car doesn't run right and sounds horrible on the upper end. Like its gonna blow up, which would really suck. So I just keep the rpms as low as possible. I wish I could get someone to fix it, b/c it's really annoying.
Old 02/24/2011, 09:57 PM   #21 (permalink)
---MCR---

Vehicle: 03 GS Spyder 5SPD
GS03Spyder : who are you?GS03Spyder : who are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianc View Post
Yeah, same here. The places I have taken it say it's fine. And I know it's not because it wasn't like this before. It runs like shit the higher I get in the RPMs. A lot of my noise was due to my motor mounts being shot. I still have one that is f'd up and is making noise. But I know that's not the problem because the car doesn't run right and sounds horrible on the upper end. Like its gonna blow up, which would really suck. So I just keep the rpms as low as possible. I wish I could get someone to fix it, b/c it's really annoying.
i also have a weird high pitched almost "grinding" noise between 3-5000 rpm aside from the other noise, which was also not there before
Old 10/25/2011, 04:41 PM   #22 (permalink)

Vehicle: 03 eclipse gts
hauzr38 : who are you?
have the same problem i thought it was maybe my exhaust manifold and was gonna get an aftermarket one but from the sounds of everyone else thats not it. Has anyone else found a resoloution to this problem that works?
hauzr38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10/25/2011, 09:18 PM   #23 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2000 eclipse gs 5-speed
ajharbin : who are you?
i just rebuilt my engine 4g64 SOHC but i removed the balance shaft with the eliminator kit but now mine makes a loud whining sound like a bearing but everything is new and idk what it is but i have plenty of power through out my rpms i did the rebuild myself out of a Hayes book and i thought i did something wrong so i drove it up to the dealership and they said the same thing to let it settle in but its coming up to 1000 miles and im hoping it goes away
ajharbin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10/26/2011, 02:56 PM   #24 (permalink)

MyYz400 : who are you?
I have the same problem. I replaced mine, lost alignment on the balancing pulleys (shop butchered my car, long story ). I know they are multi turn pulleys, meaning it could be one of any number of revolutions is the right one. Anyone have a how-to for dummies on finding the correct alignment of both balancer shafts without fail? Something better than spin it and find where it settles. I've taken all that stuff on and off so many times, and with the weather getting cold, I would like to make sure this will be my last time for a while...lol
MyYz400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05/03/2012, 02:11 PM   #25 (permalink)

Vehicle: 03 eclipse gts
hauzr38 : who are you?
MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR!! finally found the soloution, after having my car for a week at a shop they finally figured it out. cost me about $219 to get a new one, runs beautiful now!
hauzr38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums > Performance & Tech Forums > Problem Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.